Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
In game 3 we should be hunting for Panarin, but not with Wilson, let someone like Malenstyn or Lapierre go after him. Not setting the tone in our own barn and not going after Panarin will cost us game 3 which we just can't afford.
Rags clearly have us beat in the speed and skill division, but we're right up there in terms of physicality, we just have to catch them first ;-)

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
You won’t get a good opportunity at Panarin. If the game is close, if you touch him you’ll get a penalty because the officials will be looking out for anyone going at Panarin. If we’re far behind his ass will be on the bench to protect him. If we’re ahead it’s still a risk to take a penalty to let them back in. Make the checks you should be making anyway, if it’s number 10 just make them a little harder.

Reactions: Neil Racki

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A lot of loser talk in this thread, not gonna lie.

Also it's kind of psychotic to want them target other players if Panarin is the guy you want revenge on!

Reactions: um and Neil Racki

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I mean he should have something coming for him as well the way he came up on Carlson during that 2 on 1 as play continued after the Panarin hit right?
They can get back at him by driving him crazy. Block his eye lines, crash for rebounds and loose pucks, cause havoc in front of the crease. So, basically do what you need to do anyway to have a chance at getting some wins.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
They can get back at him by driving him crazy. Block his eye lines, crash for rebounds and loose pucks, cause havoc in front of the crease. So, basically do what you need to do anyway to have a chance at getting some wins.
Should have put the :sarcasm: cause it was missed. Fully expect the team to come out fiery and physical in G3 tomorrow night. We need to put more pucks at Shesterkin's feet he's seemed very beatable so far. Some scrambles in front he's seemed to not be following the puck well.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Should have put the :sarcasm: cause it was missed. Fully expect the team to come out fiery and physical in G3 tomorrow night. We need to put more pucks at Shesterkin's feet he's seemed very beatable so far. Some scrambles in front he's seemed to not be following the puck well.

They'll try to play physical, but I also expect the refs to neuter them with a barrage of penalties.

I'm still optimistic though. I think Ovie is going to have a big game, and maybe we'll see Jensen, Sandin, or Miro inserted into the lineup. Caps will have a chance if they can get the transition game going and somehow limit the number of PP's. This NYR team is beatable (though it won't be easy).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If you look at the numbers, or hell I bet if you watch the games (I don't) you will realize why turning the game into a goonfest isn't ideal: the Rangers have the best special teams index in the NHL and are mediocre at 5v5.

Even if they goat the Rangers into a bad penalty or two, is it really an advantage for the Capitals to have 5 PPs to the Rangers 3 PPs? The numbers say no.

So really the only reason to take vengeance or whatever is if you are already resigned to losing. I don't like loser talk!

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
If you look at the numbers, or hell I bet if you watch the games (I don't) you will realize why turning the game into a goonfest isn't ideal: the Rangers have the best special teams index in the NHL and are mediocre at 5v5.

Even if they goat the Rangers into a bad penalty or two, is it really an advantage for the Capitals to have 5 PPs to the Rangers 3 PPs? The numbers say no.

So really the only reason to take vengeance or whatever is if you are already resigned to losing. I don't like loser talk!
They are very average at 5-on-5, and they know it. The plan is to use their speed to draw penalties. It works really well against the Capitals, a team that is generally slow even when they aren’t missing two key defensemen. I don’t think they’d have the same positive results against Carolina or Florida. Those teams just feel so complete right now.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I hope the Caps hit the heck out of the NYR with these home games. Game 2 wasn't bad, except for officiating. They have to hit Panarin, Fox, or Kreider hard to start the game.

They'll try to play physical, but I also expect the refs to neuter them with a barrage of penalties.

I'm still optimistic though. I think Ovie is going to have a big game, and maybe we'll see Jensen, Sandin, or Miro inserted into the lineup. Caps will have a chance if they can get the transition game going and somehow limit the number of PP's. This NYR team is beatable (though it won't be easy).

I want to see what Miro has for his first playoff and I can't see the NYR beating Carolina, Florida, or Boston. Caps just need to do what they did in Game 2 and hope officiating stays out of it.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
The stupid thing is they take injury into consideration way more than they should. If Oshie hadn't returned there might actually have been a hearing at least.

And that’s the snare drum I have. Result doesn’t/shouldn’t matter, action/intent does.

The worst example I ever saw was the goocher making a bee line to drill some dude, right in the head, and he got nothing. Don’t remember if it was Campbell or Shanahan, but they essentially said since he’s been the recipient of bad things, he gets a pass on this one. Farcical.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Refs will be looking for retaliation on Panarin and will call every spooky glance at him.

Go after someone else instead. Then Panarin just got his teammate bonked. The repercussions become team-wide, as does the responsibility.

I'd take my chances.

Go after him, hard. Toe the line but don't drift over it and take a major penalty. If you catch him with your head down, take it. If you catch him puck watching, take the hit. If you catch him vulnerable, take the hit. If there isn't a chance otherwise, then toss him around in post-whistle scrums. Doing stuff like that might get you minor penalty for roughing/charging/interference but you can go after him hard without really going over the line to take a major penalty. If you get the penalty, you kill it for Oshie. It's a no-brainer.

I'd be pretty certain that the way this plays out... if Caps go after Panarin a lot then the Rangers are going to respond in a way of their own. You'd think most of their players are pretty comfortable that they are going to win the series when the dust is settled. They aren't going to sit back and just play when their best player get targeted. Caps are going to get their PP's from their revenges, you'd think. And that's also how you get the Rangers out of their comfort zone. I don't want this to turn into a PP fest because the special teams are basically the only thing Rangers are elite at but they are pretty inexperienced team. You can get them railed off if you go after Panarin every single chance you get.

It's 0-2 series already. We need to throw Rangers out of their game. The further this game and series go from actual hockey, the better chance we have to win. Get them out of their comfort zone and take over. We've been losing series 2-0 before... that one time in 2018, for example.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Yes, go after Panarin but within the rules. Finish every check, don't let him hang around the crease during play and even after the whistle. It's called setting the tone. We're far outmatched talent wise in this series and need to make it physical. People are calling out Ovie and that's fair, but everyone else isn't doing much either to this point.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I wonder how Sandin and Jensen will do jumping right into the dray after being gone.

Could also be a little gamesmanship. They could both still be out.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'll be honest, I don't see them taking four out of the next five games -- especially without two top-four defensemen -- but let's see what they got. Every time this team has been counted out they've respondws so who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad