Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Good yeah lets talk strategy. Most know how'd I would roll already but for the record.
  • Protect Charlie and give him good sight lines. He'd be the candidate to win the series for us unless we see a John Druce.
  • Pound the smallest most turnover and injury prone defensemen relentlessly with aggressive hits. Especially anyone offside. f*** that pound all their Dmen and forwards. Playing physical got us a cup led by Orpik stepping up early in a series. Looking at you Fever and AA.
  • Shadow Panarin with ?? | POUND Panarin. Have Willy chase him around. Rangers players and fans will lose their freaking minds.
  • Muck up the game. Clutch and grab push after the whistle. Play back and score off counters
  • And for the love of the game, aggressively clear the crease including well after whistles. Make them learn Laichs bakery is closed.
  • Bait their young dumb aggressive lunkhead for PPs. I'd make that a special assignment for Beck but tell do not fight him. Make them pay for their Wilson inspired rebuild & promoting him over better prospects. Dive at every chance when he risks roughs and parlay them into Ovi PPGs.
This is the way

Its huge to get a player to check out early, mentally or physically. I'll die on the hill pointing out how huge it was 2018 R1G1 5 minutes into the first period, and Brooks The Hitman Orpik absolutely destroyed a CBJ with his head down trying to enter our zone. If you can get a hit like that on a Panarin or some other pretty boy not cut out for the old school NHL game, they will sometimes check out. Panic passing getting rid of the puck not letting plays develop or abandoning rush and dumping it in. The beauty of that? The guy that now decides to dump it in more is not cut from the mold to be F1 and plaster the Dman chasing his dumps. Its basically a voluntary turnover.

EVERY SINGLE CBJ PLAYER saw what Orpik did and knew they may be next. So even if the guy that got crushed by Orpik is unfazed, others grow weary. It doesn't matter who wins the game - its a series. The seed is planted in their heads. Wilson sent Jenner to the locker room in that game 1.

Orpik did it in round 2, too. But not round 3 or 4 but the others by then were taking names. Orpik Oshie Ovi Willy Djoos were wrecking balls. It's an old school politically incorrect mentality but players get injured when they get hit and it changes the series. Why sugar coat it. I remember in the finals Willy absolutely destroyed Karlsson by the bench and he was invisible the rest of the series I am convinced it took out his shoulder.

When no one on your team counters that, your team is at a HUGE disadvantage.
This is also why i want McIlrath on the third pairing.

Fever-Carlson
Jensen/Sandin-AA
TvR-McIlrath

Every pairing has potential to induce pain.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
We should be able to beat the rangers. 2-2 split on the season. 9 goals for each team, but that's in part because Kuemper gave up 5 in the game he played.
It has come to my attention that Kuemper only let 4 in. One was empty net, apparently.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This is my second favorite season ever, already in about 20 years of fandom.

Obviously want the win. I dislike the Rangers slightly less than Pens. Also my sister is a Rangers fan, living in Connecticut for 12 years.

I’d also love to see an Ovi playoff overtime winner. On the grand scheme of thing not important to his legacy, but it would be a noticeable hole considering all the over time winners he has.

You know who else never scored an OT winner in the playoffs?

Mario Lemieux and Gordie Howe.

Moral of the story: Playoff OT goals are optional for the GOATs :)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Two days off before Games 3/5 seems favorable for this team's olds.

As for shutdown personnel you'd think it's Fehervary/Carlson and the Dowd line. Not sure NAK is cut out for that, though. The Strome line would be next. Not sure they're going to be able to get away with McMichael and Oshie alongside Ovechkin. Seems unlikely to be viable enough. The Lapierre line will need to step up and produce. Carbery will have some options to switch things around but they don't have a wealth of robust, complete forwards. Beyond high-end talent most have an area or two that's at best average.

They're definitely going to need to stay compact and play more of a collective blunt force game because on paper it's not great for them.
You never expected them here, anyway. Right?

Going into this season, you didn’t think they’d make the loffs. So now it’s still a doubting Thomas mindset.

Which I get. I do.

But still. You again don’t really think they will win, right? Tell the truth, please?

Let’s see if they surprise you again, yes?

I’ve already posted I’m rooting for playoff wins and the opportunity to tank was gone weeks ago. But don’t tell me we need to get a handful of playoff games for wins. That’s what’s embarrassing. I spent the 80s and 90s watching team after team roll into playoffs and get bounced. All that experience of playoff hockey got us nowhere.

You want to keep a winning culture and have another solid shot at a cup? Rebuild the roster with tallent and develop players.

Yes playoffs are fun, sitting at home sucks. But we are a very long shot. I hope they make a run, but I would rather be one of the favorites again, then going back to years of just hoping we get lucky.
Cannot rebuild Rome in a day, can we?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I was on team "Sell the boat anchors at the TDL if losing but keep fighting for the playoffs".

So I'm very happy with the way this season turned out, regardless of the outcome of this series.

That said, it's the playoffs and they have Big Mo on their side. I hope they don't feel like they've crossed the finish line just by making it in, and lose the fire during the rest period.

Expectations always increase the closer you get to actually pulling something like this off. If they can stay loose and avoid the "what the hell am I doing here" feeling of playing over your head, they can manage the upset.

Also @AlexBrovechkin8 this thread needs a poll for series result lol

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You never expected them here, anyway. Right?

Going into this season, you didn’t think they’d make the loffs. So now it’s still a doubting Thomas mindset.

Which I get. I do.

But still. You again don’t really think they will win, right? Tell the truth, please?

Let’s see if they surprise you again, yes?
It's going to take things going just right, right? Just like they more or less had to in order to sneak in. Larkin getting hurt for a stretch. Other bubble teams largely selling off. Philly's nosedive. It's fantastic that they have this opportunity...but they've absolutely got to dial it in from puck drop because you never know when their next series appearance may be. I'm optimistic in the sense that culturally they're resilient and find ways to come together to win. The Rangers, of course, are beatable. Only NYI, LAK and (surprisingly) FLA scored fewer goals 5v5 in the regular season among playoff teams (and the Caps dead last, of course). Discipline is everything. Staying out of the box and not giving their third-ranked PP chances has to be near the top of the list.

So much in the playoffs is about match-ups, digging in and keeping at it. My biggest concern is whether they'll manage to generate enough chances. The Caps can maybe keep things in check defensively, esp. if NYR becomes frustrated. But you wonder just how able they'll be breaking them down and getting interior. It's easier overall to imagine NYR more easily flexing on them. But may NYR take risks and open themselves up? The Caps aren't a big counter team but they also don't tend to give up many rush chances either. So...they've got a shot. I would have liked their chances better with Leonard as a depth wild card that could break some hearts. As-is we'll see who wants to be a hero.

Big picture the forwards still need upgrading. They still need another weapon or two that can stir their drink and flex on teams. But we'll see if they can collectively step it up and get the job done with more of a lunch pail approach. Win one series with Lindgren at the top of his game and you never know...

Reactions: Ridley Simon

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I agree with people saying Caps can make this a low scoring series and even still they might not have the horses to outscore the Rangers.

I think it's going to be like the series against the Panthers a couple of years back.

With that said I won't be surprised if they somehow manage to win. For whatever reason they have played playoff teams extremely well.

Reactions: Calicaps

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
It’s mind blowing to me that anyone can think this is a bad result for the future. Caps get in, they’ve got roughly 10 guys playing in the playoffs under 26 years old. Amazing experience for them. They have a handful of prospects who are solidifying meaningful roles, McMichael and Lapierre are 2/3C, Ivan M is a top 9 winger next year, AA is going to go into next season pushing for a top 4 d role, Leonard might be the top prospect not in the NHL at points next season and will be a top 6 player next year. Oh yeah and there’s a high end goalie prospect lighting up the AHL.

This run also helps to attract free agents in the offseason because the caps aren’t dead like the penguins are. The caps have money. Now also pick 16 is less important and becomes a trade piece to go out and add another legit top 6 forward.

This is an amazing experience for the players and for Carberry let’s not forget that, remember how out coached Reierden was in his first playoffs. No expectations on Carberry learn from however many games we get to play and take it for next year and beyond.

This is house money and we are all walking out ahead already.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
One encouraging thing is NYR is hit-or-miss with their Offense
If Ziban's one-timer isn't hitting he's largely invisible
If team D keeps Panarin's east-west passes from completing that's a big factor
If Caps can clear Kreider out of the crease for deflections that's a big factor

I think crash-and-bang smash mouth hockey will go a long way to help win, esp on Panarin/Ziba/Fox/LaFren

If we keep up with the low event, keep them to the outside defensive game, and then ramp up the hitting and intimidation, stay out of the GD box, plus Chuckie Sideburns being Chuckie, I like our chances

Will we win? beats the shit out of me
If we come back to DC at 1-1 I think we can rattle their cage and make some serious noise

LGC!

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
If all the recent interviews of the players is any indication, they are not taking this lightly. They know what needs to be done...they've been in the playoffs for weeks.

I like their chances.

Think of all the times they've coasted into the POs and then get roasted in the 1st round.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I had no idea McIlrath was such a high draft pick #10 some defenders just take longer to develop. I think he is the highest drafted D on the team.

Sep 19, 2008
PXL_20240420_143328717.jpg
PXL_20240420_144812293.jpg
PXL_20240420_145731626.jpg

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I can’t believe so many people hedging their bets and such low expectations before the puck has even dropped for Game 1.

New Season. Caps can win. They won three straight to finish the season when their backs were up against the wall. They played low scoring, defense first, playoff hockey and executed it well. They have a hot goaltender.

There is no reason to just give up and be satisfied. We can beat the Rags. Then we’ll worry about what is next. But players, coaches, and fans need to believe.

LFG Caps!

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I really hope they match Rempe up against the Ovie/Wilson line. We have to make them pay if they want to fight Wilson that bad. Rempe should not be playing vs our top line, and Wilson should not be dumb enough to take him self out of the game for 5 min with a fight unless its at the end of the game or we are getting blown out.

Reactions: g00n

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I mean Rempe and Wilson have to go right? Throw in Mac as a backup bout…

How stupid would that be? It's not like we have the talent advantage here. Last time we were in the Playoffs the major reason we lost was Wilson getting hurt in G1.

If Rempe wants to get his ass whooped let him knock on McIlrath's door, they are both guys on small roles. No reason to do Wilson-Rempe swap. If Kreider wants to go with Wilson then i mean, sure.

We need Wilson on the ice. Keep dumping it into Fox's corner and pound away like teams used to do with Mike Green. Rangers especially.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Split is great no matter how it happens. But i really do believe we can take the Rags down.

I am all for letting McIlrath stay in the lineup right now. Particularly against the rags. Like that physical presence. And i prefer him to fight Rempe.

Funny that we have two veteran Hershey mainstays on Caps roster for playoffs. never would have predicted that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad