Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
There are only 4 guys on this team that have won a playoff series in Washington. Most of these guys haven't won an NHL playoff series ever. Culture atrophies if it isn't maintained.
I say again, I’m not worried about culture. The senior leaders have spent most of their career on winning teams. Our GM has spent most of his career building winning teams. Our owner has always spent and hired to win.

Our best prospect is ours because of our worst season in a long long time. Your going to have a hard time convincing me it’s better for the rebuild to have a first round loss than another Leonard drafted.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I say again, I’m not worried about culture. The senior leaders have spent most of their career on winning teams. Our GM has spent most of his career building winning teams. Our owner has always spent and hired to win.

Our best prospect is ours because of our worst season in a long long time. Your going to have a hard time convincing me it’s better for the rebuild to have a first round loss than another Leonard drafted.
Those "senior leaders" won't be around in a couple years. The kids who will be here need to get some playoff experience.

Please stop with the tank nonsense. It's embarrassing. We're in the playoffs ffs

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Who are our best defensive wingers should Carbs look back at how the 1984 Caps shutdown Mike Bossy, and decide to take out Panarin? He who did good vs us in 2018 when in CBus.

Sonny at +4? /s - seems like Slim Pickens.

Also for you gambling folks i will be placing odds and taking bets on the coveted John Druce Sweepstakes. Sneak early peak shows Chimera Protas at +50000.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

First of all, they will probably lose, but they might win, or at least make it competitive. IMO, that has HUGE value for the kids. And I think this whole push, seeing how much it takes even to get into the playoffs, is a fantastic learning experience.

Second, this isn't the 2023 draft. Unless you think they were gonna compete with SJ and Chi for the top few spots, they probably weren't getting another Leonard.

Third, they have money and assets now. As you noted, our GM builds winners. He's gonna be spending that money and those assets this offseason and next. Whether that means signing promising UFAs, trading picks or prospects for players or better picks or whatever, tanking isn't the only path to a rebuild.

Fourth, I will never be a believer that losing more is the best formula for winning more.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Those "senior leaders" won't be around in a couple years. The kids who will be here need to get some playoff experience.

Please stop with the tank nonsense. It's embarrassing. We're in the playoffs ffs
I’ve already posted I’m rooting for playoff wins and the opportunity to tank was gone weeks ago. But don’t tell me we need to get a handful of playoff games for wins. That’s what’s embarrassing. I spent the 80s and 90s watching team after team roll into playoffs and get bounced. All that experience of playoff hockey got us nowhere.

You want to keep a winning culture and have another solid shot at a cup? Rebuild the roster with tallent and develop players.

Yes playoffs are fun, sitting at home sucks. But we are a very long shot. I hope they make a run, but I would rather be one of the favorites again, then going back to years of just hoping we get lucky.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Tankers will have their day when we do truly suck when our top dogs have retired... for now, they wait.

I want to see Ovi playoff trucking and his chance at another cup. Don't tell me the odds nor him. The entire makeup of the team is built around Ovi riding into the sunset, so I want to see him get as many goals and hits thrown as possible.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
First of all, they will probably lose, but they might win, or at least make it competitive. IMO, that has HUGE value for the kids. And I think this whole push, seeing how much it takes even to get into the playoffs, is a fantastic learning experience.

Second, this isn't the 2023 draft. Unless you think they were gonna compete with SJ and Chi for the top few spots, they probably weren't getting another Leonard.

Third, they have money and assets now. As you noted, our GM builds winners. He's gonna be spending that money and those assets this offseason and next. Whether that means signing promising UFAs, trading picks or prospects for players or better picks or whatever, tanking isn't the only path to a rebuild.

Fourth, I will never be a believer that losing more is the best formula for winning more.
Very impressive late season run, and it’s encouraging no doubt about it. I don’t want to lose and I would rather be a playoff team. But people saying making the playoffs is good so we have a winning culture is ridiculous. That isn’t an issue.

Reactions: Calicaps

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Tankers will have their day when we do truly suck when our top dogs have retired... for now, they wait.

I want to see Ovi playoff trucking and his chance at another cup. Don't tell me the odds nor him.
I honestly hope not. I would love for these kids to keep developing. GMBM to use our cap wisely and fill the gaps, and for us to already be on the way back up. I don’t want to start a season planning to tank, that sucks. But when it’s December/January and it’s clear we have major issues you need to be honest. I’m glad we were sellers it was the right move and has really set us up for the off-season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I honestly hope not. I would love for these kids to keep developing. GMBM to use our cap wisely and fill the gaps, and for us to already be on the way back up. I don’t want to start a season planning to tank, that sucks. But when it’s December/January and it’s clear we have major issues you need to be honest. I’m glad we were sellers it was the right move and has really set us up for the off-season.
I am glad we sold assets and made the playoffs... sure seems like the best of both worlds all things equal. I was ready for Mantha to go he was fooling no one here with his pending UFA efforts.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Two days off before Games 3/5 seems favorable for this team's olds.

As for shutdown personnel you'd think it's Fehervary/Carlson and the Dowd line. Not sure NAK is cut out for that, though. The Strome line would be next. Not sure they're going to be able to get away with McMichael and Oshie alongside Ovechkin. Seems unlikely to be viable enough. The Lapierre line will need to step up and produce. Carbery will have some options to switch things around but they don't have a wealth of robust, complete forwards. Beyond high-end talent most have an area or two that's at best average.

They're definitely going to need to stay compact and play more of a collective blunt force game because on paper it's not great for them.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
My brother likes the rangers…

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I am absolutely loving seeing everyone act like Caps are not even a road bump for the rags.

One of my favorite quotes:

Alex Ovechkin Is Back in the NHL Playoffs, But it Won't Last Long​

if we learned anything about these Caps is that they play better when expectations are low. And it does not get lower than this year. Should be fun.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Mantha ended up with 3 goals in 18 games with knights
Kuzy had 2 goals in 20 games with canes

Without Washington they fell off

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mantha resigns with the Capitals. GMBM seemed to indicate that. Twabby will be happy if so.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
This is my second favorite season ever, already in about 20 years of fandom.

Obviously want the win. I dislike the Rangers slightly less than Pens. Also my sister is a Rangers fan, living in Connecticut for 12 years.

I’d also love to see an Ovi playoff overtime winner. On the grand scheme of thing not important to his legacy, but it would be a noticeable hole considering all the over time winners he has.

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco
love this thread title :DD
I stopped paying attention to the regular season(guess I turned into a casual since we won the cup) but I hope this is the year other teams getting "lindgren'd" becomes a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad