Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
strange season so far, mantha gone, backstrom gone, kuzy gone... and yet they reached the playoffs

Some folks here have for the last 3 years looked at actual results and said "play the kids more cause it seems to work". Bäckström is a legend but just too injured, Kuzy had checked out and Mantha was alright in a contract year.

The kids are unproven and have a lot of drive and motivation (and young legs) which go perfectly with the savvy vets we already had.

Obviously surprising but still logical in a way.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wait, they still have those? LOL. In California? For gosh sakes, why?

I get it delivered to the door, give them a little tip, and off we go. Just like a Pizza! 😎😎
One of the only good things about CA. But now we have it in MD and DC. I still have to drive for it since we can’t seem to get things through political system. but at least it is all legal.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
I get the whole "playing with house money" and "nothing to lose".

But, I suspect, as someone who has been through every single one of these..............when push comes to shove, there will only be one thing that matters...........winning.

Losing will suck, It will hurt.

But, since were playing with house money, why not win?

LFG!!!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Worth noting that Rangers don't really have that much Playoff experience. They do have Kreider who has over 100 games but he's the only one close to number like that. Wheeler is at 65 despite never winning anything but the rest are basically below 60 games.

From the Capitals you have Ovechkin (147 GP), Carlson (123 GP), Wilson (83 GP), Oshie (72 GP) who are all above that number. The experience angle might come into play if they can make the series tough for the Rangers early on. They are going to be under immense pressure since most people seem to be picking for them to sweep us.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Worth noting that Rangers don't really have that much Playoff experience. They do have Kreider who has over 100 games but he's the only one close to number like that. Wheeler is at 65 despite never winning anything but the rest are basically below 60 games.

From the Capitals you have Ovechkin (147 GP), Carlson (123 GP), Wilson (83 GP), Oshie (72 GP) who are all above that number. The experience angle might come into play if they can make the series tough for the Rangers early on. They are going to be under immense pressure since most people seem to be picking for them to sweep us.
Yeah Rangers where NHL top ranked team in Super 16 aswell. All except two had Caps at 16th. The two who didnt picked non playoff team St. Louis and Detroit.

Still we played them well in the season and if we keep scoring down we can beat them. I believe we might loose one or two by a good margin so we need to win the close games.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The key is frustrating Panarin, right? NYR has other weapons but he's the guy. Put a body on Fox, make it a grind. Make it low event. Maintain structure and secure the middle of the ice. Laf had a strong year 5v5 but they didn't really load up like you would have thought at the deadline. I'm guessing they won't dress Rempe since he hardly plays. Maybe at some point they do but that may not play out like they think (hope) it might.

Overall the Caps may be a bit too thin to steal the series but planting an early seed of doubt could work wonders. Lindgren will have to be a beast and some forwards need to step up. They're going to need the Wilson of old making his presence felt shift to shift. Strome and McMichael need to be solid to have full confidence in them as the 1/2s going forward. Lapierre needs to win some races and provide a spark. And the checking line needs to do their thing and stay out of the box.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good yeah lets talk strategy. Most know how'd I would roll already but for the record.
  • Protect Charlie and give him good sight lines. He'd be the candidate to win the series for us unless we see a John Druce.
  • Pound the smallest most turnover and injury prone defensemen relentlessly with aggressive hits. Especially anyone offside. f*** that pound all their Dmen and forwards. Playing physical got us a cup led by Orpik stepping up early in a series. Looking at you Fever and AA.
  • Shadow Panarin with ?? | POUND Panarin. Have Willy chase him around. Rangers players and fans will lose their freaking minds.
  • Muck up the game. Clutch and grab push after the whistle. Play back and score off counters
  • And for the love of the game, aggressively clear the crease including well after whistles. Make them learn Laichs bakery is closed.
  • Bait their young dumb aggressive lunkhead for PPs. I'd make that a special assignment for Beck but tell do not fight him. Make them pay for their Wilson inspired rebuild & promoting him over better prospects. Dive at every chance when he risks roughs and parlay them into Ovi PPGs.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Pannarin disappeared in last year’s playoffs and was a major reason the Rangers lost to the Devils. A bad game early heightens the pressure on him

Reactions: Neil Racki

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Pannarin disappeared in last year’s playoffs and was a major reason the Rangers lost to the Devils. A bad game early heightens the pressure on him
Its huge to get a player to check out early, mentally or physically. I'll die on the hill pointing out how huge it was 2018 R1G1 5 minutes into the first period, and Brooks The Hitman Orpik absolutely destroyed a CBJ with his head down trying to enter our zone. If you can get a hit like that on a Panarin or some other pretty boy not cut out for the old school NHL game, they will sometimes check out. Panic passing getting rid of the puck not letting plays develop or abandoning rush and dumping it in. The beauty of that? The guy that now decides to dump it in more is not cut from the mold to be F1 and plaster the Dman chasing his dumps. Its basically a voluntary turnover.

EVERY SINGLE CBJ PLAYER saw what Orpik did and knew they may be next. So even if the guy that got crushed by Orpik is unfazed, others grow weary. It doesn't matter who wins the game - its a series. The seed is planted in their heads. Wilson sent Jenner to the locker room in that game 1.

Orpik did it in round 2, too. But not round 3 or 4 but the others by then were taking names. Orpik Oshie Ovi Willy Djoos were wrecking balls. It's an old school politically incorrect mentality but players get injured when they get hit and it changes the series. Why sugar coat it. I remember in the finals Willy absolutely destroyed Karlsson by the bench and he was invisible the rest of the series I am convinced it took out his shoulder.

When no one on your team counters that, your team is at a HUGE disadvantage.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The key is frustrating Panarin, right? NYR has other weapons but he's the guy. Put a body on Fox, make it a grind. Make it low event. Maintain structure and secure the middle of the ice. Laf had a strong year 5v5 but they didn't really load up like you would have thought at the deadline. I'm guessing they won't dress Rempe since he hardly plays. Maybe at some point they do but that may not play out like they think (hope) it might.

Overall the Caps may be a bit too thin to steal the series but planting an early seed of doubt could work wonders. Lindgren will have to be a beast and some forwards need to step up. They're going to need the Wilson of old making his presence felt shift to shift. Strome and McMichael need to be solid to have full confidence in them as the 1/2s going forward. Lapierre needs to win some races and provide a spark. And the checking line needs to do their thing and stay out of the box.
One thing I think the Caps have going for them is they don’t need to change the way they play. They know who they are and how they can win and that’s low event hockey, keeping as much as possible to the perimeter, banging bodies, tight gap control through the neutral zone, and letting Chuckie see the puck on defense. This is not a team that wins games 5-3 so they won’t be in for a shock when the ice is smaller and goals are harder to come by. They’re used to having to win close games and they’re very good at it. They can’t and haven’t been just relying on Ovechkin and the PP.

Ultimately I don’t know that they have the offensive talent to steal the series but I do think they have more than enough to make it interesting. And the pressure is all on Lavi and New York. Imagine if the bum ass Caps beat the Presidents Trophy winners against their former coach who was pretty poor himself in the playoffs? I think we’ll see a Caps team that’s loose and enjoying themselves — Ovi, Oshie, and Carlson know they don’t have many more bites at the apple and there has to be at least an element of “did we really just do that,” when it comes to qualifying for the postseason given preseason expectations.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Searching for an Orpik hit montage from 2018 - this is the best I have found... a series of caps hits vs Tampa in the middle of this tube

Paquette got pummeled a few times. When the gloves fly off its like getting hit by car.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
A tweak at practice today?

Kettler faithful chime in! I thought about heading over during lunch today

EDIT I presume its to have an emergency goalie on hand while on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I'm going tomorrow I have to work today 🤣

Don't forget free playoff lawn signs at the team store in ballston
I have plans tomorrow otherwise I'd go. I am sure the uber loud vocal Lets go Caps guy will be there leading the raucous autograph and puck seekers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad