Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I still think a tank would have been better long term, but that ship has sailed. It is nice to be looking forward to playoff games and not having an ounce of worry or concern. This is all house money. More Ovie goals and I would love to see a kid or two blow up and take that next step

Playoff experience for the young guys is better than moving 5 slots up in the draft for the long term.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The thing about a tank is that it undermines the establishment and maintenance of a winning culture. Teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Arizona, Columbus, Edmonton (pre-McDavid) for years had high draft picks but never internalized how to win - and a lot of that is how to play without the puck. Conversely, teams like Boston and Tampa Bay have been winning year in and year out without high draft picks because they expect a baseline level of commitment and play without the puck that breeds and sustains winning - and doesn't necessarily require high draft choices.

That's why this year - and the Hershey run last year - have been so important. What our young guys lack in terms of high-end skill is potentially offset by the experience of being key cogs in a team that wins - and wins in a not very pretty, if you don't play hard without the puck we're f***ed kind of way.

The prime years with the Rock The Red core they never really learned to play consistently hard without the puck and consistently connected as a 5-man unit (Trotz got them to do it in spurts, and somehow one of them coincided with games played in April, May, and June 2018).

It's amazing what Carbs has done in a year - when you look at how many years the lessons he's instilled here those teams I mentioned above have gone without ever learning them effectively. It goes a long way toward making up for the lack of high draft picks (and the one we got last year we seem to have hit pretty well).

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
The thing about a tank is that it undermines the establishment and maintenance of a winning culture. Teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Arizona, Columbus, Edmonton (pre-McDavid) for years had high draft picks but never internalized how to win - and a lot of that is how to play without the puck. Conversely, teams like Boston and Tampa Bay have been winning year in and year out without high draft picks because they expect a baseline level of commitment and play without the puck that breeds and sustains winning - and doesn't necessarily require high draft choices.

That's why this year - and the Hershey run last year - have been so important. What our young guys lack in terms of high-end skill is potentially offset by the experience of being key cogs in a team that wins - and wins in a not very pretty, if you don't play hard without the puck we're f***ed kind of way.

The prime years with the Rock The Red core they never really learned to play consistently hard without the puck and consistently connected as a 5-man unit (Trotz got them to do it in spurts, and somehow one of them coincided with games played in April, May, and June 2018).

It's amazing what Carbs has done in a year - when you look at how many years the lessons he's instilled here those teams I mentioned above have gone without ever learning them effectively. It goes a long way toward making up for the lack of high draft picks (and the one we got last year we seem to have hit pretty well).

Totally agree. It's huge, and keep in mind... it's likely that BMac will go shopping for some big, shiny pieces in FA/trade market over the next couple years. The top-end skill & talent will come whether internally or externally. The imperative right now is installing systems and instilling culture.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
NYR heavily favored going into this, all the pressure is on them. Everyone thinks this will be a cakewalk for the Rags, and they may win the series, but they won't escape without taking some damage. The Caps are going to give them a bloody nose for their trouble. I think Panarin is the real deal and if we can keep him in check and Charlie continues to play out of his mind, we'll have an outside shot at an upset.

This may be last time we get to see Ovie, Oshie, Carlson, and Wilson together for a playoff run. As a bonus we're getting a chance to see how some of our young players react to the playoffs. There's nothing to be nervous about this time around. No expectations and no pressure, so let's enjoy it!

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
We dont do well against fast or offensively talented teams. We do well vs the Bruins of the world.

Im guessing Rangers win in 5, their fanbase will do a macabre that they have long waited for.

Is what it is. Ill enjoy the Ovi and JC and Oshie and CMM and Strome and Milano and Dowd and fehervary goals are hopefully we win one at home for the home crowd
During the Caps' most high flying years, they struggled in the playoffs against teams that played similar to how they are now. Because that team didn't have to adjust to the playoffs.

Caps in 6, outscored by 3.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

The natural counterpoint to that is the success that franchises like Chicago, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh had following their tanking periods. And Tampa also had an extended tanking period prior to their peak, with them picking 1st overall in 2008 (Stamkos), 2nd overall in 2009 (Hedman), 6th overall in 2010 (Connolly), 10th overall in 2012 (Koekkoek), and 3rd overall in 2013 (Drouin).

And, of course, there are plenty of elements beyond just the team culture that contributes to the success and failure of these various organizations. Boston managed to have a 2nd OA and 9th OA pick without tanking because of Toronto's ineptitude after the Kessel trade. Tampa has obviously had all the salary cap shenanigans to help keep them relevant (and getting a franchise player in the 2nd round in Kucherov is an obvious boon). On the other end of the spectrum, teams like Arizona, Ottawa, and Columbus simply never received the same type of resources or organizational support to help them turn the corner after their rebuilds that other teams did. Ottawa is the only one of those teams at the salary cap this year, and that's after they finally got an ownership change after Melnyk's death in 2022. For all the talk of Buffalo maybe turning the corner this year and how coaching held them back (it did), they're still the second lowest payroll in the NHL this season.

Winning culture is important, but you can establish a winning culture after a tanking period just fine if you invest properly and put the right people in charge of the front office and locker room. Play away from the puck is also tremendously important, but is separate from a winning culture (guys like Tortarella never shut up about play away from the puck, but he hasn't exactly established a winning culture anywhere in his last several stops). Los Angeles built a winning culture with incredible play away from the puck, despite having a stretch of time where they didn't make the playoffs for 6 straight seasons (7 straight years with the lock-out) and picking as high as 2nd overall (Drew Doughty).

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
NYR heavily favored going into this, all the pressure is on them. Everyone thinks this will be a cakewalk for the Rags, and they may win the series, but they won't escape without taking some damage. The Caps are going to give them a bloody nose for their trouble. I think Panarin is the real deal and if we can keep him in check and Charlie continues to play out of his mind, we'll have an outside shot at an upset.

This may be last time we get to see Ovie, Oshie, Carlson, and Wilson together for a playoff run. As a bonus we're getting a chance to see how some of our young players react to the playoffs. There's nothing to be nervous about this time around. No expectations and no pressure, so let's enjoy it!
I would love Ovie and his group to make one more run and doing it on house money makes it all the more satisfying. I believe our guys can beat The Rags but if they falter make it a pyrrhic victory like you wrote, so whoever faces them next can pick them apart. And best of all Spittsburgh didn't make it!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe it’s because we had no expectations of doing anything this year so this is all a bonus but there’s no stress and the Rangers are one of the teams I’d most prefer to play. Shesterkin has been good but mortal, their bottom six is average, they’re a decent even strength team, and they’re not very fast or aggressive on the forecheck. They’re a very good team obviously with a lethal power play but they don’t have a lot of the components of teams who give the Caps fits. I think the Caps are comfortable with who they are and have the ability to frustrate the Rangers, plus the Caps have been playing playoff hockey for what feels like a month at this point.

The Rangers are certainly capable of winning four straight in blowout fashion over the Caps but I’d pick them over most other playoff teams in the East if given the option. It seems like a decent matchup for Washington all things considered.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This squad should know Lavi's tendencies by now, including in the playoffs.

We also don't have Kuzy's boat anchor. And Carlson is getting hot at the right time. Both of those guys have been disappearing in the postseason since the Cup. Having those two things fixed could've swung at least a few series in the past, so maybe it does so now.

We also have more solid goaltending overall, and a Holtby vibe from Chucky.

If the NHL doesn't screw us with any b2b games Ovie could also return to form.

Anything can happen.

Reactions: HeyMattyB and max21

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I feel like it can't be emphasized enough how much dumping Kuznetsov was addition by subtraction. Getting rid of Backstrom and Kuznetsov, however tough it was with Nicklas, along with Carlson's 82 game availability are the biggest reasons we bounced back from last year.

And I still believe this year was our nadir. We're going to make the playoffs next year and the year after. The kids will develop, cap space is opening up and we're going to go shopping in FA/trades. This was the bottom and we still made the playoffs.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Was at that game Still get goosebumps.
Same here. Section 413 (where I was a STH from 2006-2010).

I consider that Fedorov goal to be the single most exhilarating sports-related moment I've ever experienced in person. It was also the first (and only) time I'd ever seen the Caps win a playoff series in person*. I still remember thinking to myself, and then screaming to my friend (over the crowd noise), "THEY'RE GOING TO WIN!" And the thing was, I really believed it. I knew it. It was a certainty. What an amazing feeling for a long-suffering Caps fan.

*I was also at the PHI Game 7 heartbreaker and the PIT Game 7 no-show embarrassment. (And, as I've mentioned here before, I had tickets to MTL Game 7, but I sold them to pay for the UHaul I used to move to Philly the day after the Caps lost that game.)

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Also, let’s not underestimate how much several of our young players hate Lavi. The dark side can be strong

Reactions: Cappy76

Block

Feb 14, 2005
They're going to get slaughtered, but it would be hilarious if they won, Tom Wilson was series mvp and NY blew up their soft ass team again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad