Value of: M. Sergachev to New Jersey

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What else? How about something a lot better and cheaper than Butcher. Butcher at almost 4M is just as bad as Johnson and Gourde at 5M. We could just sign Sergachev ourselves with that money and it kills any potential cap space gained. He would be of very little interest as we have two much better LD already and Coburn is fine on the bottom pair. Smith we would have some interest in because he's cheap but he won't be ready to make an impact next year and since we are set at LD for the next 6 years having a LD be the key piece coming back doesn't make sense. We would prefer Severson to Butcher or Smith.

someone asked specifically for Butcher, which is why I added him to the deal...

the Devils trading Severson (and more) in any deal for Sergachev makes no sense for them.

Reactions: Smitty426

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Pretty sure Tampa fans would have said "no chance" Drouin would be traded before he actually did get traded. Especially after his 14 pts in 17 playoff games in 2016 and his 53 pts with 21 goals in 73 games in 16/17 at the age of 22. Actually, I remember this as a fact cause Tampa fans were ignoring their cap and expansion draft problem back when on HF boards.

Some are outright ignoring the circumstance of several NTC's, RFA players to sign, flattened cap, and expansion draft coming. Lots of things Tampa can try but pretending it to be easy management is flawed narrative
Drouin wasn't a cap casualty. He was traded because he was an entitled little douchebag not able to buy into the system, who overstepped the mark one time too many with our management. Sold when value was still high. And hey, it got us Sergachev who according to HFB is worth a $8M AAV offer sheet. :laugh:

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Drouin wasn't a cap casualty. He was traded because he was an entitled little douchebag not able to buy into the system, who overstepped the mark one time too many with our management. Sold when value was still high. And hey, it got us Sergachev who according to HFB is worth a $8M AAV offer sheet. :laugh:
Maybe TBL knew Drouin was a one way ME player who never was going to hit his stride and always be a miss of a player. Something many MTL fan to this day are in denial about.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
LOL. You are just dead set on making the impossible happen.

How about Jimmy Butler and Tua for Serg and Tyler Johnson? My proposal makes as much sense and has the same 0.000% chance of happening as getting Gourde to waive his NTC to go the Jersey this off-season.

Just use the compliance buyout excuse. That at least has a non 0% chance of being implemented/possible

Tua holds the ball too long which he could get away with behind Bama’s line against most of the teams they played. Swap Burrow for Tua and I’d say yes.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm pretty sure his point was we need both. And we could just not give him away before exhausting other ideas, which is where most Devs fans are (I know I am).

Tampa would be moving a legit 22 year old stud to cut salary, not add a bottom pairing dman earning 3.7M$ per for the next 3 years.

Ty Smith would be on a ELC, which is exactly what they’re looking for and has potential to boot. They would also add a solid pick to load up their prospect pool for help down the line or a potential trade like they made for Blake Coleman.

We on the other hand would be adding that legit top pairing dman on the left side we’ve been trying to get for the last decade+. Cap space wouldn’t be an issue for us and offering Sergachev a 7 X 7 type of deal wouldn’t be a problem at all.

This deal looks like a win/win if I ever saw one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not what Tampa fans said before he was traded though. ;)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Tampa would be moving a legit 22 year old stud to cut salary, not add a bottom pairing dman earning 3.7M$ per for the next 3 years.

Ty Smith would be on a ELC, which is exactly what they’re looking for and has potential to boot. They would also add a solid pick to load up their prospect pool for help down the line or a potential trade like they made for Blake Coleman.

We on the other hand would be adding that legit top pairing dman on the left side we’ve been trying to get for the last decade+. Cap space wouldn’t be an issue for us and offering Sergachev a 7 X 7 type of deal wouldn’t be a problem at all.

This deal looks like a win/win if I ever saw one.
Then give them Walsh, for the same reasons you mentioned

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Then give them Walsh, for the same reasons you mentioned

Walsh has already said he's going back to school next season. So he's not helping out Tampa, and it's possible he doesn't even sign. If he stays the full year, he's a couple of months away from just signing anywhere he wants as a free agent. He's also not nearly the prospect that Smith is, so there probably has to be an add.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Maybe TBL knew Drouin was a one way ME player who never was going to hit his stride and always be a miss of a player. Something many MTL fan to this day are in denial about.
When he was in the Q there were stories of kids asking for his autograph and him refusing and being a real dick. I think it was known there was some attitude problems from the beginning.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
When he was in the Q there were stories of kids asking for his autograph and him refusing and being a real dick. I think it was known there was some attitude problems from the beginning.
Apparently his parents were a chore to deal with also. Reminds me of stories I used to hear about Cody Hodgson's parents.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Tampa is likely to target Smith, but the Devils really shouldn't be giving up Smith, Bahl, Boqvist, or Foote at this point.

Devils have drafted so many players, especially forwards that there has to be some deal that can be made. Kuokkanen, Merkley, and Anderson are enticing NHL-ready forwards that they can sign to cheap deals to add some depth. Maltsev and Sharangovich are heady centers with KHL experience who they might see as cost-controlled bottom six forwards. Then there's Thompson and Talvitie in college who are putting up some stellar numbers or guys like Gritsyuk and Misyul overseas who have quietly gotten some rave reviews.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a deal to be agreed on with two of those guys plus one of the firsts for Sergachev. Maybe the Devils can offer up Wood (with some retention) or Zacha and take Killorn as well.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Tampa is likely to target Smith, but the Devils really shouldn't be giving up Smith, Bahl, Boqvist, or Foote at this point.

Devils have drafted so many players, especially forwards that there has to be some deal that can be made. Kuokkanen, Merkley, and Anderson are enticing NHL-ready forwards that they can sign to cheap deals to add some depth. Maltsev and Sharangovich are heady centers with KHL experience who they might see as cost-controlled bottom six forwards. Then there's Thompson and Talvitie in college who are putting up some stellar numbers or guys like Gritsyuk and Misyul overseas who have quietly gotten some rave reviews.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a deal to be agreed on with two of those guys plus one of the firsts for Sergachev. Maybe the Devils can offer up Wood (with some retention) or Zacha and take Killorn as well.

If Smith is the guy they want, it’s still a no brainer move we need to make. I get it, he’s a promising prospect who won back to back dman of the year award, helped team Canada win the gold medal at the WJC, etc, etc, etc.

The point is that despite all those accomplishments, he’s still an unknown to the pro game whereas Sergachev is a proven stud that will just get better and better.

It’l hurt to lose Smith, but watching Sergachev in action will make you forget all about Ty, after his 2nd or 3rd shift.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Walsh has already said he's going back to school next season. So he's not helping out Tampa, and it's possible he doesn't even sign. If he stays the full year, he's a couple of months away from just signing anywhere he wants as a free agent. He's also not nearly the prospect that Smith is, so there probably has to be an add.
Yeah I posted this knowing all of that. Some think he wants to be moved this summer and it's somewhat forcing the Devs hands to move him and he signs to play next yr elsewhere. My assumption was that he'd like a team like TB bc of their wide open window.
It fits their ELC need
Yes there would be some add for sure.
It's all a pipe dream while I sit around during this thing!

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Please tell me more about how Tampa had no cap issues. Drouin was traded to Montreal because Tampa Bay needed both the cap and expansion draft slot.

“Tampa Bay needed a young, puck-moving defenseman, had salary-cap issues that needed to be alleviated, and faced the prospect of losing a good player for nothing to the Vegas Golden Knights in the NHL Expansion Draft.
Tampa Bay would've had to protect Drouin in the expansion draft, whether he had signed a new contract or was heading to free agency. Trading him for Sergachev helps solve that problem because Sergachev is on an entry-level contract and does not need to be protected in the expansion draft.“

Jonathan Drouin traded to Canadiens by Lightning, signs six-year contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad