Value of: M. Sergachev to New Jersey

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I have seen his name thrown out around here a few times so just curious if he would really be available

What would it take? The Devils have (potentially) 3 first round picks this year and have a decent crop of young players, mostly up front

What would Tampa be looking for?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Makes no sense to me to lose Smith to gain serg

Sure it does. Smith is still a completely unknown quantity at the NHL level. Why does it make sense to drop #6 (which could be Drysdale, let's say), but not Ty Smith? You can easily say that #6 is the more valuable of the core components there given that people tend to favor shiny and new.

Sergachev is also only a year + older.

That's just a weird line of demarcation to me. Curious for reasoning?

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Sure it does. Smith is still a completely unknown quantity at the NHL level. Why does it make sense to drop #6 (which could be Drysdale, let's say), but not Ty Smith? You can easily say that #6 is the more valuable of the core components there given that people tend to favor shiny and new.

Sergachev is also only a year + older.

That's just a weird line of demarcation to me. Curious for reasoning?
As I posted, if you could move the AZ pick with adds you'd be in better shape. Devs have two yrs invested into Smith who was taken at 16 I think and on a redraft would be something like half that. Which is not the important part, but the fact that they didn't rush him and he's about done incubating and is ready. That AZ pick is probably two yrs our from atong and 3-4 from making a difference.
Think of them trading for Serg, drafting Drysdale and having Smith ready to play. That timetable I s moved up imo.
I'm not against it so much as I'm for adding to it.

Reactions: Forge

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As I posted, if you could move the AZ pick with adds you'd be in better shape. Devs have two yrs invested into Smith who was taken at 16 I think and on a redraft would be something like half that. Which is not the important part, but the fact that they didn't rush him and he's about done incubating and is ready. That AZ pick is probably two yrs our from atong and 3-4 from making a difference.
Think of them trading for Serg, drafting Drysdale and having Smith ready to play. That timetable I s moved up imo.
I'm not against it so much as I'm for adding to it.

wait what? Ty smith would be 8 in a redraft? gonna call BS there because right away he wouldnt go before any of the top 8, then its a bit of a crapshoot but Farabee,Dobson,Sandin are ahead. I bet Smith goes mid 1st in a redraft. not wanting to include him for Sergachev is kinda silly

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Smith + pick 17 is good value

I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

Ty Smith is still an unknown and yes, he’s played real well at the junior level but Sergachev is a lock to be a 1st pairing, 40 pts dman and he’s what 18 months older then Smith?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Smith + pick 17 is good value

I think trading 2 good pieces that are expansion exempt and you are going to get 3 cheap years and more team control for an expansion eligible guy making probably 5-6m when TB is fairly cap-strapped may be a bit of an overpayment. Maybe Butcher + one of 17 or Smith for Serg.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
wait what? Ty smith would be 8 in a redraft? gonna call BS there because right away he wouldnt go before any of the top 8, then its a bit of a crapshoot but Farabee,Dobson,Sandin are ahead. I bet Smith goes mid 1st in a redraft. not wanting to include him for Sergachev is kinda silly
Why include him if you don't have too?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think trading 2 good pieces that are expansion exempt and you are going to get 3 cheap years and more team control for an expansion eligible guy making probably 5-6m when TB is fairly cap-strapped may be a bit of an overpayment. Maybe Butcher + one of 17 or Smith for Serg.
This was my point, the 17th and Butcher. Smiths age plays better into our time frame and I'd take the bet that he's better than Butcher when it's all said and done.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
This was my point, the 17th and Butcher. Smiths age plays better into our time frame and I'd take the bet that he's better than Butcher when it's all said and done.

Well that doesn't make sense for TB... They are trying to clear space to sign guys (or trading those guys for value). Adding butcher at almost 4 million is no good.

Your point stands though. Not sure I would give up Smith + 17. Think it's fair, but not sure if I'd do it. Would give it a lot of thought though

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Well that doesn't make sense for TB... They are trying to clear space to sign guys (or trading those guys for value). Adding butcher at almost 4 million is no good.

I didn't realize butcher made that much money. Oops.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Your point stands though. Not sure I would give up Smith + 17. Think it's fair, but not sure if I'd do it. Would give it a lot of thought though
And I made a mistake too. I meant the AZ pick which was at 10 not at 17. If Butcher is too pricey, the '21 second from the Isles. Although I think a contract would have to come back from TB to make it worth their while.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I do this in a heartbeat

Would prefer to keep Sergachev but if we did have to move him i would try to use him to help move one of Johnson or Gourde out too. Zacha can slot in at 3C at a cheap price for couple of years, saves us almost 3M in cap also. At the Arizona pick i would target Holtz or Sanderson. With the money freed up we can sign Cirelli and Cernak and also bring back Ruuta so we don't have to rely on Foote as much next year.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It is fair to say I really doubt Serg goes anywhere but the offers are at least thinking about TB which is appreciated. If TB and you had to trade Serg your number 1 goal is to get a d-man on elc. Best offers by far of hfboards so tip of the cap there.

Since TB is in all in win mode for 20/21 the Smith & 17 offer makes legit sense. Could TB win in 21 with C Foote and Smith getting legit minutes?

Pick 6 might be correct value but if TB they have to move and make three way deal. For example would Ott give up Brannstrom plus for pick 6?

the AZ pick/Zacha for Gourde or Johnson & Serg offer is 3rd on this list. AZ pick there does feel there is a draft talent drop after 8. if TB not getting near that offer.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
NJ doesn’t have the defensive depth to move Ty Smith, even if they get a young establishment dman in Sergachev in return.

They can help out Tampa by taking cap dumps or offering Arizona and Vancouver first round picks, or young cheap 3rd liners like Pavel Zacha, Miles Wood, Jesper Boqvist, Joey Anderson.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It is fair to say I really doubt Serg goes anywhere but the offers are at least thinking about TB which is appreciated. If TB and you had to trade Serg your number 1 goal is to get a d-man on elc. Best offers by far of hfboards so tip of the cap there.

Since TB is in all in win mode for 20/21 the Smith & 17 offer makes legit sense. Could TB win in 21 with C Foote and Smith getting legit minutes?

Pick 6 might be correct value but if TB they have to move and make three way deal. For example would Ott give up Brannstrom plus for pick 6?

the AZ pick/Zacha for Gourde or Johnson & Serg offer is 3rd on this list. AZ pick there does feel there is a draft talent drop after 8. if TB not getting near that offer.
Is Brännström clearly the better player than Smith? He also burned one of his ELC years. IMO Smith and 17th beats Brännström. Obviously you could also try to land a 'better' cheap D for the #6 overall. But this option might be available with the 17th pick, too, which would give Tampa 2 shots to fill the need.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
NJ doesn’t have the defensive depth to move Ty Smith, even if they get a young establishment dman in Sergachev in return.

They can help out Tampa by taking cap dumps or offering Arizona and Vancouver first round picks, or young cheap 3rd liners like Pavel Zacha, Miles Wood, Jesper Boqvist, Joey Anderson.
You have posted this better than I was able to explain it, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad