Proposal: M.Michalek and Hunwick for Dennis Wideman

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If Wideman still wants a career playing hockey he wouldn't block a trade to any team, actually the worst team the better because he's not going to get quality icetime in Calgary anymore.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Wideman still wants a career playing hockey he wouldn't block a trade to any team, actually the worst team the better because he's not going to get quality icetime in Calgary anymore.
He will get the same quality minutes as he got last year. He will either be the #4 (in terms of ice-time, he may play on the 3rd pairing) and will QB the 2nd PP unit. Jokipakka and Engelland simply will not play more than him, the only way Wideman plays less is if there is another acquisition.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
He will get the same quality minutes as he got last year. He will either be the #4 (in terms of ice-time, he may play on the 3rd pairing) and will QB the 2nd PP unit. Jokipakka and Engelland simply will not play more than him, the only way Wideman plays less is if there is another acquisition.
New coach but Jokipakka played 20 mins/gm at the end of the year and handled it better than Wideman did, Wideman's value is only good in an offensive role and that won't happen behind Gio, Brodie and Hamilton. Unless the new coach wants him with Hamilton (doubtful) he'll be 5-6 in Calgary.

For the betterment of his career he needs to go to a team that needs a 1st or 2nd PP quarterback, Detroit,Edmonton,NJ,Columbus,Toronto and Boston to name a few could use some back end scoring and would be a better fit to continue his career than Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
New coach but Jokipakka played 20 mins/gm at the end of the year and handled it better than Wideman did, Wideman's value is only good in an offensive role and that won't happen behind Gio, Brodie and Hamilton. Unless the new coach wants him with Hamilton (doubtful) he'll be 5-6 in Calgary.

For the betterment of his career he needs to go to a team that needs a 1st or 2nd PP quarterback, Detroit,Edmonton,NJ,Columbus,Toronto and Boston to name a few could use some back end scoring and would be a better fit to continue his career than Calgary.
Jokipakka played 20 minutes a game when nothing was on the line. Wideman played big minutes when the season was just beginning, Brodie was hurt, Hamilton was adjusting to the team and Giordano was still getting up to speed. Kind of a big difference.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Actually Wideman made it pretty clear he's not happy with the media, Toronto is the last place he will want to go if he wants to move on from last season. And anyone who puts one iota of thought into it would agree completely. And do we know for sure Michalek waived to go to the Leafs? His NTC is modified if he was dealt to Toronto I would wager either they weren't on his no trade list, or he just wanted out of Ottawa that badly.

Deal was agreed to between TOR/OTT but hold up for an extra day was getting Milan to waive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Deal was agreed to between TOR/OTT but hold up for an extra day was getting Milan to waive.
Fair enough, but I would think Michalek was getting less ice-time in Ottawa was he not? Wideman is still going to be getting #4 minutes in Calgary with 2nd unit PP time as well. He's not being phased out like some posters have made up in their heads. He's not going to help himself going to a lesser team, IMO the only way Wideman waives is for a contender.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fair enough, but I would think Michalek was getting less ice-time in Ottawa was he not? Wideman is still going to be getting #4 minutes in Calgary with 2nd unit PP time as well. He's not being phased out like some posters have made up in their heads. He's not going to help himself going to a lesser team, IMO the only way Wideman waives is for a contender.

Think he just went through a pretty injury ravaged season.

In terms of waiving etc, it's a matter of opinion more then fact, we have no idea what he wants to do.

I do know for a fact that he was upset when Boston traded him to Florida.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Prefer to keep Michalek and Hunwick. The potential deadline returns should be greater than Wideman.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think Michalek will pleasantly surprise.

Greening looked to be hot at the end of last season but I think he will look bad this year and Michalek will be the one to impress.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Think he just went through a pretty injury ravaged season.

In terms of waiving etc, it's a matter of opinion more then fact, we have no idea what he wants to do.

I do know for a fact that he was upset when Boston traded him to Florida.
We also know for a fact he was VERY upset with the media and felt he was unfairly treated by them. I cannot fathom him wanting to play in the heart of the media circus after what transpired last year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We also know for a fact he was VERY upset with the media and felt he was unfairly treated by them. I cannot fathom him wanting to play in the heart of the media circus after what transpired last year.

But that's not going to happen again this year, even if the team didn't improve at all which I can't see happening but even if it did management protects players now.

They limit media availability, they Don't allow small controversy to blow up into massive stories and distractions

and most importantly unlike Burke and Nonis

They don't say jack **** until It's done.

They could be working on Fowler right now for all we know but you won't hear ANYTHING until It's done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But that's not going to happen again this year, even if the team didn't improve at all which I can't see happening but even if it did management protects players now.

They limit media availability, they Don't allow small controversy to blow up into massive stories and distractions

and most importantly unlike Burke and Nonis

They don't say jack **** until It's done.

They could be working on Fowler right now for all we know but you won't hear ANYTHING until It's done.
You honestly believe the parasites in the media will let it go with the NHL firing the arbitrator and going down the road to court proceedings? Good luck with that. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad