M. Frost vs J. Farabee

Which player do you expect to have the bigger impact over the next 5 years?

• Total voters

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
At this point it's just a crap shoot, I hope they both will be our next stars. During his stint with the Flyers Frost showed a lot of flashes of his brilliance at the NHL level (especially comes to mind how he clowned Armia and Thompson :laugh:) so it's hard to bet against him, but don't fool yourself thinking that Farabee's ceiling is just a reliable top-6 two-way winger like Brandon Saad, he's got all the tools to become a real offensive threat down the road.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Put those stats in context, Frost was highly sheltered by AV, Farabee played on every line but the first and in more challenging situations.

It's like Gudas putting up great stats as the 3rd pair RHD, but playing behind a D-man in Washington who in turn, played behind Braun the year before in San Jose.

Stats don't lie, but sometimes they misinform.

We'll see next year when Frost is the regular 3C (b/c I don't expect Patrick to play again until I see him on the ice).

Reactions: Flyer lurker

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Put those stats in context, Frost was highly sheltered by AV, Farabee played on every line but the first and in more challenging situations.

These stats weren't tracked with the context you are asking for as a consideration. Asking for said context is picking at nits.

Microstat tracking in a nutshell:
- tracking detail specific events that the tracker is looking for
- tallying up the data
- sharing data

QoT, QoC, sheltering, zone starts, home or away game, etc. aren't typically considerations for microstats/microstat tracking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adtar02

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
At the 5-year mark and beyond this is a lot tougher for me to lean into, but I have real hard time betting against Joel over the near-term for a lot of reasons.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Frost can be a poor man's Matthews with the way he sees the ice and can slow the play down. His top end is insane.

Farabee has a great motor and natural scoring ability that is yet to translate. He looks like a 60pt winger and I won't be surprised if I'm underestimating him.

The flyers future is bright.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Weird thread to resurrect, but since we're here....

Comparisons to the most recent season. Pretty comparable overall impact. Farabee appears to be more of a solely offensive guy whereas Frost appears to be more two-way. I'm still not convinced Frost has met his offensive maximal output.

1713447853520.png

1713447241573.png

1713447261468.png

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hey!

I did a similar poll on here between Sanheim and Patrick a couple months ago and your fan base was one of the most helpful so here I am again with a new poll! I could post this in the poll section, but I'd rather have the opinion of fans who see them play a lot than the opinion of randoms.

So here we go: Which player do you expect to have the bigger impact over the next 5 years?

Thanks a lot for your input!
Is it team specific? There's a good chance neither of these guys plays in Philly again.

Yeah, I don’t see the Coots/Farabee comparison.
I see a Farabee/Ville Leino comparison... ;)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I found this thread when I was trying to find a post about why Farabee didn't play for the Flyers or Phantoms at the end of the 2019 season. I think it's a good bump and an interesting topic. :nod:

I didn't find anything to answer my question, apart from the fact the Flyers only had 6 games left when he signed his ELC so maybe they figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad