Prospect Info: M. Abramov Question.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How would you rate Abramov towards Robertson. Hockey DB has him listed at 185 pounds now. With his game he might be a better prospect than Robertson with that size advantage.
This guys game will ge interesting to see in rookie camp against his rookie team mates. I don’t think he gets enough attention but we’ll see come camp. Kids getting to Nhl ready size and we know he’s good already.

Is he really up to 185? I see him listed at 160 also but thats not right Mikhail Abramov Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

This kid might play at 195/200 in a couple years if he can put on the strength that quick. He was skin and bone 2 years ago. Way to go M.A

Last edited:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
You think abramov is better because he's bigger? Abramov doesn't throw his weight around.

As of now, Robertson is better. Robertson is very noticeable at the ahl where he shows a higher work rate and great shot. Abramov is very noticeable as a D+2 in the qmjhl. Abramov's playmaking is better, but his shot is miles below robertson's. Abramov will take longer to have the same impact in the ahl

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You think abramov is better because he's bigger? Abramov doesn't throw his weight around.

As of now, Robertson is better. Robertson is very noticeable at the ahl where he shows a higher work rate and great shot. Abramov is very noticeable as a D+2 in the qmjhl. Abramov's playmaking is better, but his shot is miles below robertson's. Abramov will take longer to have the same impact in the ahl
Nope I’m not saying i disagree. Just getting feedback. Abramov is bigger yes according to one hockey platforms stats. I watched Robertson in the Ahl last year. I wasn’t as impressed as you. Gets knocked off of pucks and his skating and power is average for the AHL comparison.
We will see come rookie camp. Abramov has come a longer way and has shown a higher development curve than Robertson at this point from my perspective.
Amirov is another one frankly that is likely very close with Robertson and Abramov. I will be evaluating them three head to head for a matter of interest. No real decision on who is furthest along right now.

Nonetheless they are another nice trio of players coming along again at forward. I wouldn’t mind seeing all three coming together and playing for the Marlies this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prominence

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Nope I’m not saying i disagree. Just getting feedback. Abramov is bigger yes according to one hockey platforms stats. I watched Robertson in the Ahl last year. I wasn’t as impressed as you. Gets knocked off of pucks and his skating and power is average for the AHL comparison.
We will see come roomie camp. Abramov has come a longer way and has shown a higher development curve than Robertson at this point from my perspective.
Amirov is another one frankly that is likely very close with Robertson and Abramov. I will be evaluating them three head to head for a matter of interest. No real decision on who is furthest along right now.

Nonetheless they are another nice trio of players coming along again at forward.
Two things to consider:
- abramov may get get knocked off pucks just as much as robertson. 185 ain’t big. Kadri was 185 and he had the worst balance of any leaf (besides clarkson)
- i will concede that robertson is the riskier prospect due to injuries. Being smaller means you take more damage unless you’re elusive, which he’s not.

robertson does have good character though. I wasn’t impressed with abramov in his d+1, but thought he drew a lot of gravity and showed more dominance in his d+2.

i was worried i was about to be trolled, but i’m glad this wasn’t one of those posts.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’d like to see Abramov tear it up at the AHL level before even considering his NHL prospects - his play in the Q doesn’t scream NHLer. I think he has a chance, but his most likely outcome is a guy who never makes it full time at the NHL level.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Robertson is half a year younger than abramov and absolutely blows him away production wise. Robbie plays a grittier game, too.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Abramov didn't approach Nick's D + 1 season in his D +2. Nick was the best Junior scorer in the country and Mikhail wasn't even top 10 in his league. One is an A prospect who dominated his league and the other is a B prospect who didn't. With respect, his playoff run was great but its a small sample and history says a graduating 19 year old who has a better playoff than any of his regular seasons isn't rare, or necessarily bound for stardom. Abramov has better size but he is not 6'4" where he is just growing into his body nor is he a relentless hitter like a Ridly Greig so being of mostly average size isn't a special asset he can build on.

I think its fair to say Robertson getting knocked off the puck in the AHL as a 19 year old isn't a shocker, as most of his peers are still playing against other teenagers. The AHL guys are basically NHL size and he has had only 20 games to adapt. 5 g in 21 games means his goal scoring hasn't transferred yet but like Abramov he is still getting stronger. Small but hardly Abruzzese and he was a successful as Byfield this year.

Taking Robertson out of the picture what would Abramov need to do to become an A prospect? To me he would basically need to have at least Connor Brown's rookie AHL season and to show a strong 2 way pro game. I don't think he will do it but who knows? Age 20 can be a lot stronger and faster than they were at 19 or it can be similar so it depends on his desire, his training and his DNA. I kind of expect his best case next year to be closer to a Leivo than a Brown because that's who his Junior production more resembled but we don't know if he will even keep up with the AHL yet.

What would Nick need to do to fall out of A prospect status? Maybe be assigned to the AHL and spend a whole season as a 15g perimeter player, unable to make use of his primary asset. He still needs to improve to succeed but he has NHL pace and the sniping should come along because among 18 year olds he was world class.

I don't see these guys as comparable yet. We should revisit this interesting discussion at mid season though once Mikhail has had some pro exposure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Two things to consider:
- abramov may get get knocked off pucks just as much as robertson. 185 ain’t big. Kadri was 185 and he had the worst balance of any leaf (besides clarkson)
- i will concede that robertson is the riskier prospect due to injuries. Being smaller means you take more damage unless you’re elusive, which he’s not.

robertson does have good character though. I wasn’t impressed with abramov in his d+1, but thought he drew a lot of gravity and showed more dominance in his d+2.

i was worried i was about to be trolled, but i’m glad this wasn’t one of those posts.
Haha nope not trolling in the least. It’s just a idea i had to look at these three good prospects together. I’m just getting back to normal after that last loss. I figured enough of the Leafs are chokers posts from myself and get back to enjoying our team. F*** i had a hate on for them that would not go away :)

I’m coming around finally and these three are nice prospects that are fairly close in potential. Nice to have.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Abramov posted a pic on Instagram not too long, and I'd believe he was 185 or more. Looks like he did the Nylander program
Oh really good to hear. I remember there was a article out on his dedication and it was positive. That must be almost 18 months ago now.
Great to hear this.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’d like to see Abramov tear it up at the AHL level before even considering his NHL prospects - his play in the Q doesn’t scream NHLer. I think he has a chance, but his most likely outcome is a guy who never makes it full time at the NHL level.
I think i would like to see all three tear it up for the Marlies. I’m not used to the Marlies being bad. I flat out want them winning as much as the Leafs winning actually. Its a point of pride having two good teams :)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Abramov didn't approach Nick's D + 1 season in his D +2. Nick was the best Junior scorer in the country and Mikhail wasn't even top 10 in his league. One is an A prospect who dominated his league and the other is a B prospect who didn't. With respect, his playoff run was great but its a small sample and history says a graduating 19 year old who has a better playoff than any of his regular seasons isn't rare, or necessarily bound for stardom. Abramov has better size but he is not 6'4" where he is just growing into his body nor is he a relentless hitter like a Ridly Greig so being of mostly average size isn't a special asset he can build on.

I think its fair to say Robertson getting knocked off the puck in the AHL as a 19 year old isn't a shocker, as most of his peers are still playing against other teenagers. The AHL guys are basically NHL size and he has had only 20 games to adapt. 5 g in 21 games means his goal scoring hasn't transferred yet but like Abramov he is still getting stronger. Small but hardly Abruzzese and he was a successful as Byfield this year.

Taking Robertson out of the picture what would Abramov need to do to become an A prospect? To me he would basically need to have at least Connor Brown's rookie AHL season and to show a strong 2 way pro game. I don't think he will do it but who knows? Age 20 can be a lot stronger and faster than they were at 19 or it can be similar so it depends on his desire, his training and his DNA. I kind of expect his best case next year to be closer to a Leivo than a Brown because that's who his Junior production more resembled but we don't know if he will even keep up with the AHL yet.

What would Nick need to do to fall out of A prospect status? Maybe be assigned to the AHL and spend a whole season as a 15g perimeter player, unable to make use of his primary asset. He still needs to improve to succeed but he has NHL pace and the sniping should come along because among 18 year olds he was world class.

I don't see these guys as comparable yet. We should revisit this interesting discussion at mid season though once Mikhail has had some pro exposure.
He had a good year and playoff Mikhail Abramov is a QMJHL Champion

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4