LW William Carrier (2013, 57th overall, STL; traded to BUF)

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
The fact he plays for Cape Breton and is a late birthday both play roles in that.

He is the total package though, size, IQ, skating and a great shot. Difficult to find shortcomings as a prospect besides the fact he has been physically ready for the Q the last 2 years and has an extra year of development on fellow 2013 eligibles.

The other concern I've heard about him is trying to do it all himself too often, but that will happen with so few weapons to work with.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The fact that he does do well on such an awful Capr Breton should only help his case. If these are his numbers now, imagine if he was on a team with a team with a better supporting cast.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
The other concern I've heard about him is trying to do it all himself too often, but that will happen with so few weapons to work with.

That'sbecause CB is a trainwreck. ****ed up their euro selection, two players have quit the team (one a first rounder), two top picks won't report.... After Kyle Farrell and Alex lavoie, he has no one lol. So what he's doing is amazing... He tries to do it all because no one else will if that team is gonna win... Good all the tools to be a 1st rounder though.

Last edited by a moderator:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
One of my favourite's for this years draft. Honestly, I think I may be alone on this, I prefer him over Anthony Mantha at this point.

Carrier is such a complete player, who has no obvious shortcomings. He's a power winger that like to pass the pass, that's a rare combination. While his best skill is his playmaking, he is almost as good at goal scoring as well. He really has a underrated wrist shot. It's very powerful and accurate. I've heard his skating was an issue in the past, if that was the case than he's really improved it. He's a very fast and powerful skater. He's got sneaky acceleration too, just when you think he's at top speed he has another gear. I like how hard he competes every game. He brings a consistent level of intensity in every game that I've seen him play. It's showed up on the score sheet as he's only been held pointless once.

While Carrier isn't afraid of anyone, very rarely does he go around looking for contact. He finishes his checks, but he's not going to put you through the glass or anything. For his size, I'd like to see him hit more, but it's not a big concern. As mentioned, he has a tendency to try to do everything himself.

To answer the question, I think he's getting overlooked because of all the Mantha and Erne hype right now. That and the fact that he doesn't play for a very good team.

Last edited:

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
One of my favourite's for this years draft. Honestly, I think I may be alone on this, I prefer him over Anthony Mantha at this point.

Carrier is such a complete player, who has no obvious shortcomings. He's a power winger that like to pass the pass, that's a rare combination. While his best skill is his playmaking, he is almost as good at goal scoring as well. He really has a underrated wrist shot. It's very powerful and accurate. I've heard his skating was an issue in the past, if that was the case than he's really improved it. He's a very fast and powerful skater. He's got sneaky acceleration too, just when you think he's at top speed he has another gear. I like how hard he competes every game. He brings a consistent level of intensity in every game that I've seen him play. It's showed up on the score sheet as he's only been held pointless once.

While Carrier isn't afraid of anyone, very rarely does he go around looking for contact. He finishes his checks, but he's not going to put you through the glass or anything. For his size, I'd like to see him hit more, but it's not a big concern. As mentioned, he has a tendency to try to do everything himself.

To answer the question, I think he's getting overlooked because of all the Mantha and Erne hype right now. That and the fact that he doesn't play for a very good team.

Hmm, that is a very good post. Love William, he is the man night after night no matter who is the opponent or the match-up. Mantha, does have talent as well but it is more in the offensive zone. Erne, I love as well although his game tonight was "tres ordinare" or very ordinary. Erne, however, has generally been improving as the season progresses and generally is the player you focus on for the Quebec team now, not Grigorenko.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I love seeing mock drafts with him outside the top 30. I always think, "who's the lucky SOB who gets to draft Carrier in the second round?"

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

Nope. :) I would have to agree. Look as his supporting cast. He has all the tools , should be a first rounder without a doubt. If he slips past #20 , the lucky team that takes him got thereselves a real steal.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC

Nope you're not alone, agree with you 100%, Carrier just brings it all. Like DuckJet said it's absurd when he's not in some peoples top 30, cause he'd be a huge steal in the second.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I caught one of his games a few weeks back. Didn't watch for him, but it wound up ending that way. The only other guy to do that this season was Nurse.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
<<< (See avatar) I've been trying to mention Carrier in threads for over a year lol

Everything said in this thread is pretty accurate, I'd just add Cape Breton also has Clark Bishop who actually showed up big time when all the scouts where in Cape Breton to watch Carrier (Including Craig Button)

There have been some rumblings about trades involving Carrier to send him to a contender for futures but it seems highly unlikely.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Watched him play a few weeks ago, I'd say he was the 3rd best player on the ice. (although because I knew how good he was I watched him more, so that might account for it)

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I saw Carrier a few weeks back in Val D'or, where he impressed me very much. Played very well in the two games I saw, picking up 5 points and working hard at both ends of the ice. Scored a goal on a terrific slapshot that would have been the envy of any pro player.

Since then he had a poor spell however where he tried to do too much and ended up turning the puck over far too often and being responsible for several goals against. Unfortunately there were lots of scouts in Cape Breton to see him last Friday night where he was subpar at home.

He does not have a lot to play with, and it can lead to him trying to do too much. He is going to have to play with more consistency to be a first rounder, but I think the talent is there. Has a great shot, and since losing 15 pounds in the summer, his skating has improved to the point where it's no longer a red flag for scouts.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Can't wait to see them in Top Prospects Game

Should be a dandy. You could make three lines just featuring top Q prospects lol.... Throw in Monahan, Shinkaruk, Domi, Rychel, Lazar, Kujawinski... Glad it's in Halifax.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Carrier, Kujawinski, and Dickenson all are kinda similar in a good way. I would be happy with either one. All great players with tremendous potential.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who was better in Subway series...Carrier or Mantha?

Mantha. Carrier had one great stick check and one great pass. Other than those two flashes, he just sort of floated around. Did not move his feet most of the time. Was mostly stationary and generally more of a spectator than being engaged at any point. Mantha was kind of the opposite. He ran around a lot and frequently over commited. I'd rather draft a player with too much energy on the ice and teach him to tone it down and play smarter, than draft a player that i have to convince to move his ass and participate in the damn hockey game. Neither player was particularly effective. Mantha looks A LOT bigger and stronger.

It was just two games. Tough to gather a true overall impression. Charles Hudon was ten times more impressive than either, and considering how old both are for their draft years, I might be tempted to choose Hudon over both, if given the option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad