LW Viktor Arvidsson (2014, 112th, NSH)

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Anybody know much about this guy? 20 years old and putting up 40 points in 50 games in the SHL. I figure the main knock on him is his size, but I'd like to know if any of you can paint a better picture about Arvidsson.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...on-hoping-to-build-off-of-strong-wjc-showing/

I was a big fan of his...I asked around the hockey community a little bit (former GMs, scouts, whatever other contacts I've stumbled upon over the years) and more than a couple saw it my way (or I saw it their way, I didn't ask who was first) that he should be selected late in the 2013 draft. But ultimately, it didn't happen.

There was a discussion about him somewhere on here, not sure if Prospects board or Sweden board, but he stuck out to me as a player who would be worth a look...

His Beardliness*

He could still get drafted this summer, and he should, lest all NHL scouts have become incompetent.

He's outscored everyone in his age group in the SHL, works hard, is defensively responsible, he's excellent on the penalty kill, where he uses his speed to get shorthanded chances.

Considering all the players that have been drafted from Sweden in recent years, it's hard to believe Arvidsson isn't among them.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Can't see why he couldn't play a Michael Grabner type role in the NHL, he certainly has that skillset.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A guy with those kind of numbers in the SHL at that age should generate interest. But he is pretty freakin' small.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah, someone really should take a flyer on him. I felt the same last season as well though and it didn't happen so who knows. His size is an issue but he's speedy and skilled enough to compensate imo. He's also defensively responsible and one tough cookie so to me he's certainly worth a shot.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
Yeah, would love to see someone take a chance on him - he is tactically sound, fast and with enough grit to make it work. He is also likely to be a 2 time SHL winner with good playoff pedigree.

I can see a bit of Darren Helm in him (although smaller) - useful PKer, can create things through speed and sheer resilience. More skill though, so better upside.

A year or two in AHL (with the hope of gaining 20 pounds) would be a great test for him. If he can hold his own there, he could be a useful NHL player as he can contribute in many ways - he will be a good forechecker and offensive outlet in 3/4 lines while being defensively good enough. He is also a v useful on PK, often blocking shots and forcing defenders to spill it out, causing short handed chances. If he develops a bit further, he could even be a decent complimentary winger in the top6 on and off.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Slightly bigger Nathan Gerbe.

10 cm and that's not slightly in my opinion. I really hope he can make it in the NHL because he's such an electrifying player to watch. I have my doubts though.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Have waited since his first year for him to be drafted. There has been smaller and worse players picked since then so it must be something else. Maybe he told the teams he prefers shl?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
10 cm and that's not slightly in my opinion. I really hope he can make it in the NHL because he's such an electrifying player to watch. I have my doubts though.

Wow, didn't know Gerbe was THAT small. Anyway, they play exactly the same style of hockey. Energy, energy, energy and some scoring.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
175 cm tall, under 80kgs. Basically had to spend two seasons proving himself against men before someone was willing to take a chance on him.

People were also worried how his skating would transfer to small ice - he is very fast but with less space to skate into on NA rinks, a large part of his game might vanish.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
175 cm tall, under 80kgs. Basically had to spend two seasons proving himself against men before someone was willing to take a chance on him.

People were also worried how his skating would transfer to small ice - he is very fast but with less space to skate into on NA rinks, a large part of his game might vanish.

hope him the best but at 5'8 he better have a mean streak in him and is able to get his head handed to him on a daily basis

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
He is v tough - I've seen him take massive hits and just bounce up. Also wins more battles than you'd think. Good confidence as well, doesn't let his head drop.

Funnily enough, he is so short that some taller players struggle to tackle him well as they will be hitting his head, especially if he is leaning forward slightly - he generally draws a lot of penalties as well due to his speed and this.

Honestly though, he is kind of my ideal spare forward - can create some offense due to speed/skill and will, can draw penalties, can PK really well (especially if you need to close the point, he is often so fast that shots bounce off him and out - he is prob worth 5+ SH points a season) and he is fast enough to back-check effectively as well as putting pressure up high depending on what is required. Also got a winner's mentality and is used to playing high pressure situations (and delivering).

I probably wouldn't want him playing 15 mins a night and counting on delivering points, but 8-12 mins, giving the others a rest and helping out where needed, chipping in here and there? Almost ideal for this.

And that is also not counting that he might actually get better/stronger - he could easily gain 20 pounds over a season or 2. Overall, v good gamble by Nashville.

Anyone know how he's been doing in Camp?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
He is v tough - I've seen him take massive hits and just bounce up. Also wins more battles than you'd think. Good confidence as well, doesn't let his head drop.

Funnily enough, he is so short that some taller players struggle to tackle him well as they will be hitting his head, especially if he is leaning forward slightly - he generally draws a lot of penalties as well due to his speed and this.

Honestly though, he is kind of my ideal spare forward - can create some offense due to speed/skill and will, can draw penalties, can PK really well (especially if you need to close the point, he is often so fast that shots bounce off him and out - he is prob worth 5+ SH points a season) and he is fast enough to back-check effectively as well as putting pressure up high depending on what is required. Also got a winner's mentality and is used to playing high pressure situations (and delivering).

I probably wouldn't want him playing 15 mins a night and counting on delivering points, but 8-12 mins, giving the others a rest and helping out where needed, chipping in here and there? Almost ideal for this.

And that is also not counting that he might actually get better/stronger - he could easily gain 20 pounds over a season or 2. Overall, v good gamble by Nashville.

Anyone know how he's been doing in Camp?

His shootout goal heard round the world from Saturday's game

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...ospects-score-dazzling-goals-in-camp-shootout

Also, he was signed to an ELC by Nashville yesterday
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726281

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Well, he doesn't seem to have had to much trouble transitioning to the smaller rinks. If anything he's scoring even more ridiculous goals now.

CreativeLeftIvorygull.gif

And he has kept up his fondness for scoring on Gustafsson.

Really rooting for him to make the big league. :handclap:

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I've been a big fan of the kid since I got him in Be a GM mode, and he had a hall of fame worthy career with me. Looked up some of his highlights and was amazed at how he wasn't drafted yet, very skilled and good defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad