LW Tyler Benson (2016, 32nd, EDM)

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
My friend here keeps on telling me that how good he is, he has played aginst him during tryouts, anyone know about his skillset, or how high he is supposed to go?

VERY good prospect. The total offensive package. Should be top 1 or 2 pick in the WHL draft. Saw him play against Matt Barzal last year and was just as noticable as Barzal. Currently on pace to shatter the AMBHL scoring record (Ty Rattie) by 30 points.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He's basically the best player I've seen with my own two eyes in the AMBHL since I started watching in 2004, he looks like Mike Modano out there. His brother, Cole, on the Oil Kings is a midget but luckily Tyler looks to be about 5'10 or so at this point.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
he hits, shoots, passes, skates, and controls the game excellently. going to be 1st overall in the whl draft this year without a doubt

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Wow, so does Alberta not have a league of similar form to the GTHL, in which the best players often move up from their less talented AAA league? Or is there just a larger talent disparity that leads to these kinds of stats?

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Wow, so does Alberta not have a league of similar form to the GTHL, in which the best players often move up from their less talented AAA league? Or is there just a larger talent disparity that leads to these kinds of stats?

This league is major bantam which would be similar to the GTHL. There is disparity in the league (especially with some of the rural teams) just like any league . The kid is putting up points against the good teams as well as the bad teams.This kid is legit.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

It's not exactly less talented leagues.. That sort of system wouldn't work great here. I guess hockey is just different on the West Coast/prairies than Ontario. Players like Brandon Sutter and Tyler Ennis who are probably two of the best products that have graduated from the AMBHL on to the NHL recently only got like 60 pts in 35 games in this same league and turned into great NHL players, a defenseman like Jared Spurgeon about 35 pts in 35 games.

It's a terrific and competitive league top to bottom, just the odd year there is an abberation and a guy that just figures out how to completely light it up. Western Canada isn't exactly known for churning out high-octane offensive forwards most of the time anyways. Most recent example is prboably Ty Rattie who got 131 pts in 33 games in 2007/08 which is the league record. I expect Benson to beat that record this year, he looks like he's on a different level.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Is he big too? My friend almost broke his collarbone when he took a benson hit
Well, he's currently the biggest skater on his team at 5'11'' 180 (there's another skater that's as tall but he only weighs 140).

He's certainly much larger than his brother.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
He's a great player, completely dominates the game and is easily their best forward but every time I've watched his team play, I'm more impressed with their captain, David Quenneville. He's a defenseman but wow, that kid is good. Has a cannon of a shot, hits, can skate, makes great plays and is never out of position. I think he's a better prospect than Tyler at the moment but they are both great players.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Best SSAC player since McNeill, maybe ever. He'd probably be a top player on the Midget AAA team as a 14 year old.

Source: I coach Rem 15

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Went out to watch this kid play tonight. He's a man among boys out there. He has incredible hands, a powerful shot with a really quick release, is very intelligent, and is a real good skater. He uses his body really well to protect the puck, and isn't afraid to throw hits. He had 2 goals and 4 assists tonight, and could have easily had more. He pretty much creates scoring chances at will. He is bigger and stronger than most of the other guys out there, so it will be interesting to see how he progresses as his competition gets tougher.

Quenneville is also a hell of a defenseman, but he's not on the same level as Benson as a player at this point. Kid has some real swagger though, very confident and great on the PP.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Went out to watch this kid play tonight. He's a man among boys out there. He has incredible hands, a powerful shot with a really quick release, is very intelligent, and is a real good skater. He uses his body really well to protect the puck, and isn't afraid to throw hits. He had 2 goals and 4 assists tonight, and could have easily had more. He pretty much creates scoring chances at will. He is bigger and stronger than most of the other guys out there, so it will be interesting to see how he progresses as his competition gets tougher.

Quenneville is also a hell of a defenseman, but he's not on the same level as Benson as a player at this point. Kid has some real swagger though, very confident and great on the PP.

Can't help but be reminded of PK Subban and Mat Dumba when I see Quenneville play.

Some more media on Benson lately:

Video on local news - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151293778866145

Edmonton Journal article by the esteemed Jim Matheson - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opinion/blogs/Edmonton+hockey+teen+taking+Alberta+major+bantam+league+storm/7537024/story.html

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
2+4=6 tonight, up to 35+45=80 in 16 games.
On pace to shatter Rattie's all-time record (75+56=131 in 33) with just over half a season to go (17 games, on pace for 72+93=165).

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
2+4=6 tonight, up to 35+45=80 in 16 games.
On pace to shatter Rattie's all-time record (75+56=131 in 33) with just over half a season to go (17 games, on pace for 72+93=165).

Yeah he had 4 on Friday too went to watch that one against Sherwood Park too, just looking straight up dominant out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad