LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Joretus

judging me hockey knowledge by the fact that I dont like one guy?:help:

Yeah, and I bet you have seen plenty of Rajala's playing? Since you can bash him so much with such a great knowledge you are sharing us in here. I really enjoy your analyzes which are long, deep and perfect english.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I wanna support Joretus here. Rajala has shown his talent, he produces everywhere, Junior C, Junior B, Junior A, International tournaments, Hlinka Memorial against best worlds 90 talent, now this tournament. Size is an issue, but Rajala made 6'3-6'4 D-men at Hinka Memorial look like Wozniewski's. And he's a clutch, he made a play for GWG agains a very strong russian Team, he made a play on tie-game goal in finals against very strong Swedish Team.

I have seen him myself, and he was always one of the best players out there.

And this comes from Tre Kronor fan.)))))

Lainlight

Hands down AINEC
Jun 17, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, and I bet you have seen plenty of Rajala's playing? Since you can bash him so much with such a great knowledge you are sharing us in here. I really enjoy your analyzes which are long, deep and perfect english.

hehe :P noticed that I said "me" there....hum hum hum.....No i havnt seen Rajala play, just wanted to see the reactions if somone said such a thing :yo:

and thats kinda lame i agree.

does rajala have someone to back him up in future WJCs?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

hehe :P noticed that I said "me" there....hum hum hum.....No i havnt seen Rajala play, just wanted to see the reactions if somone said such a thing :yo:

and thats kinda lame i agree.

does rajala have someone to back him up in future WJCs?

What do you mean.... Like players or what?

I can't wait to see him play on a line with Joonas Rask in the U20's next year. They did so good together in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

yeah players
Yeah.. He has aloooot of really good Finnish offense helpers...

Just a few off the top of my head

Erik Haula- Projection Top 20 in 2009
Teemu Pulkkinen- Projection Top 5 in 2010
Joonas Rask- Projection Late 1st round Early 2nd round in 2008
Mikael Granlund- ProjectionTop 10 in 2010
Jonas Donskoi- Projection 1st round 2010

nahkasapeli

Jul 14, 2004
Here are couple photos of Toni Rajala from the Ilves Sanomat. Sorry about the poor quality of the scans...

Joretus

Rajala secured over 1 PPG in A-juniors regular season in SM-league. One game left and he has 35 points in 32 games. In PPG he is in top-10. And in total points atm he is #25. That's pretty darn good when you consider that he is playing against 2-3 or even 4years older and his lack of size. Next season I would predict him being close to top in points total, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
I saw him play against JYP yesterday and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. First of all, the game was quite boring and second of all Rajala wasn't as impressive as I expected. I was surprised at how little time on ice he got from his coach. For example there was a nearly two minute 5 on 3 powerplay for Ilves but he sat on the bench the whole time. Although he usually played on the 2nd powerplay unit as a RW.

I liked how he moved on the ice. His skating looks fluent and he's often in a open spot waiting for passes. He didn't look as small as I originally thought. I think his height won't be a problem if he bulks up. So actually it's not his lack of size but his lack of strength that keeps him from dominating games at A-junior level. He didn't have the puck on his stick enough times so I can't really say anything about his stickhandling. The goal he scored was a result of a defenseman's error in his own zone. Rajala got the puck, then tried to disarm the goalie with a couple fakes and dekes. Eventually he went around the net and then tried a wrap-a-round which the goalie blocked but Toni managed to shove the rebound in.

No one really stood out in yesterday's game but I must admit that I'm really hoping that Pekka Jormakka will be chosen to the U18 World Championship squad. He's always been good with the puck but his skating has improved since last year. He's faster and there seems to be more power in his legs. Yesterday, the difference between Pekka ja Toni was that Pekka didn't shy away from physical contact, that's something Toni must and surely will learn in time.

There were also plenty of other underaged (90-91) players but none of them managed to really impress me. Matias Sointu played in Ilves' first line. He did well but nothing special. Joonas Rask showed a couple of nice moves but he too did nothing special. Joonas Nättinen had a better game Saturday when playing with JYP B.

Next Saturday I hopefully will see Teemu Pulkkinen for the first time so perhaps he will impress me...

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
I saw him play against JYP yesterday and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. First of all, the game was quite boring and second of all Rajala wasn't as impressive as I expected. I was surprised at how little time on ice he got from his coach. For example there was a nearly two minute 5 on 3 powerplay for Ilves but he sat on the bench the whole time. Although he usually played on the 2nd powerplay unit as a RW.

I liked how he moved on the ice. His skating looks fluent and he's often in a open spot waiting for passes. He didn't look as small as I originally thought. I think his height won't be a problem if he bulks up. So actually it's not his lack of size but his lack of strength that keeps him from dominating games at A-junior level. He didn't have the puck on his stick enough times so I can't really say anything about his stickhandling. The goal he scored was a result of a defenseman's error in his own zone. Rajala got the puck, then tried to disarm the goalie with a couple fakes and dekes. Eventually he went around the net and then tried a wrap-a-round which the goalie blocked but Toni managed to shove the rebound in.

No one really stood out in yesterday's game but I must admit that I'm really hoping that Pekka Jormakka will be chosen to the U18 World Championship squad. He's always been good with the puck but his skating has improved since last year. He's faster and there seems to be more power in his legs. Yesterday, the difference between Pekka ja Toni was that Pekka didn't shy away from physical contact, that's something Toni must and surely will learn in time.

There were also plenty of other underaged (90-91) players but none of them managed to really impress me. Matias Sointu played in Ilves' first line. He did well but nothing special. Joonas Rask showed a couple of nice moves but he too did nothing special. Joonas Nättinen had a better game Saturday when playing with JYP B.

Next Saturday I hopefully will see Teemu Pulkkinen for the first time so perhaps he will impress me...

Very nice report. Keep em coming. :handclap:
As for the icetime issue. There are still so many 88born players playing in the Ilves A so thats not a suprise. I bet he's the #1 guy who runs the powerplay with fellows Myttynen, Rask & Sointu next year, when most of the older and more experienced guys are gone...

Joretus

Very nice report. Keep em coming. :handclap:
As for the icetime issue. There are still so many 88born players playing in the Ilves A so thats not a suprise. I bet he's the #1 guy who runs the powerplay with fellows Myttynen, Rask & Sointu next year, when most of the older and more experienced guys are gone...

Yeah, Rajala hasn't been getting too much ice time whole season. But I think still enough for developping. Best game what I have seen from him was when Ilves lost couple of their older players and they played with 3 lines till end. Then Rajala really stood out.

Next season I'll be still waiting Rajala being most dominating player in A-juniors if he just will be develop and gets enough time to play(pp, even strenght, etc.).

Have to realise how much younger he is than others and same time with not too much icetime, chances it's common for youngsters being not every game totally dominating. Still over 1PPG is pretty darn good for 17y guy in A-juniors with limited chances.

And if some1 wants to read my first glance this season from Rajala. That was very disappointing as well. For youngsters it would be actually very surprising if they could be every night so dominating as Rajala has been at best.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Some pictures that might give you a rough idea of his height(my estimate is either 5'8'' or 5'8'' and a half):

CSM playoffs a year ago - Rajala and Granlund in a same picture:
http://junnut.com/kausi0203/kuvat/140307ka_C_Ilves/IMG_3255_1200.jpg

Ilves ASM team picture - back row and third from the right side(number 25):
http://www.ilves.com/kuvat/pelaajakuvat/a-joukkue0708.jpg

A game played four months ago in ASM - Rajala on the right side:
http://junnut.com/kausi0708/kuvat/311007ka_ilves_A/album/slides/_MG_9434_1200.html
Picture from the end of the game - Rajala 2nd from left:
http://junnut.com/kausi0708/kuvat/311007ka_ilves_A/album/slides/_MG_9441_1200.html

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The official Toni Rajala thread

He was the only 1991 born to skate with Ilves Jr A this season

http://www.ilves.com/anuoret.php

He finished his campaign against teams consisting of players four years older than him in some cases with 36 points in 33 games. Very impressive.

Anybody else think he's going to be a superstar? He's got size issues but Patrick Kane, Brian Gionta and Martin St. Louis would love to talk to you out back alone.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
He was the only 1991 born to skate with Ilves Jr A this season

http://www.ilves.com/anuoret.php

He finished his campaign against teams consisting of players four years older than him in some cases with 36 points in 33 games. Very impressive.

Anybody else think he's going to be a superstar? He's got size issues but Patrick Kane, Brian Gionta and Martin St. Louis would love to talk to you out back alone.

I'll have a chat with them when I'm done talking to the hundreds of players who couldn't cut it in the NHL because of their size.

Anyway, superstar? No. Very good player? Quite possibly.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
From what I've read from you and other posters it sounds like he'll be a superstar. He should go top 5 in the best draft ever, that says alot, even if he goes top 10. Putting up those kinds of numbers against kids alot older is very impressive, please keep us updated on his progress.

pouskin74*

is that GOD who told you that 2009 draft gonna be "best" ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad