LW Taylor Leier (2012, 117th, PHI)

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Didn't see a thread on him but he put up pretty big numbers for Portland last season. Will likely be on the Phantoms next year.

Here's a highlight video I made:

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Nice. I could see him playing a Matt Read type role for us in a few years.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
If he pans out I think he could be a very good 3rd liner. Good skater, gritty, decent offensively and a good two way player who has intangibles.

Very good progression from his draft year.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I know it could change, but right now our 2012 draft is looking promising, Laughton, Stolarz, Ghost, and Leier

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
If everything pans out for Leier how long until he makes the NHL?

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Portland's system is sort of weird.

They dominate the WHL, and the players look amazing in the dub. But then it doesn't really fool the scouts and a lot of these players get drafted in the 2nd round or later, and then have about the same nhl success as their draft positions show.

When i watched some of the portland playoff games on shaw this year I never once thought leier was a threat on the ice like some of their other players. But at the same time he looked better than a lot of them as well.

Does that make any sense? Like he had zero flash to his game, but would just grind it out. You don't really notice him either way, but he would be a plus player and on the score sheet at the end of the game.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Portland's system is sort of weird.

They dominate the WHL, and the players look amazing in the dub. But then it doesn't really fool the scouts and a lot of these players get drafted in the 2nd round or later, and then have about the same nhl success as their draft positions show.

When i watched some of the portland playoff games on shaw this year I never once thought leier was a threat on the ice like some of their other players. But at the same time he looked better than a lot of them as well.

Does that make any sense? Like he had zero flash to his game, but would just grind it out. You don't really notice him either way, but he would be a plus player and on the score sheet at the end of the game.

So... pretty much Matt Read. At the end of the season you look back at the stats and see Matt Read has 20 goals. And you don't remember a single one.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
3rd line ceiling. I think at the NHL level he`s more of a grinder than a scorer. A Read-type of player isn`t a great comparison IMO.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
3rd line ceiling. I think at the NHL level he`s more of a grinder than a scorer. A Read-type of player isn`t a great comparison IMO.

Read isn't a finesse guy. He is a defensive guy that has an underrated shot.

Taylor Leier - Sean Couturier - Matt Read, could be one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL in a couple years.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Read isn't a finesse guy. He is a defensive guy that has an underrated shot.

Taylor Leier - Sean Couturier - Matt Read, could be one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL in a couple years.

Say what you want about Read, he`s still a guy that has scored (or been on pace for) 20+ goals in each of his first 3 NHL seasons. I don`t think Leier will provide that type of production, especially right off the hop in his NHL career.

And I`m not a hater, his development has been fantastic, I just think his numbers have definitely been inflated by playing in Portland with some very highly skilled and smart players.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Say what you want about Read, he`s still a guy that has scored (or been on pace for) 20+ goals in each of his first 3 NHL seasons. I don`t think Leier will provide that type of production, especially right off the hop in his NHL career.

And I`m not a hater, his development has been fantastic, I just think his numbers have definitely been inflated by playing in Portland with some very highly skilled and smart players.

Neither do I, but I don't think it is inconceivable for him to be a 30-35 point guy who plays good D.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah that's fair. That's how I feel about him as well. He's a guy that can wear a bunch of different hats and that's how he will provide value to a team. He's a safe player. Probably what made him appealing to Team Canada, even though he didn't make much of an impact during the tournament. Low ceiling-high floor kind of guy.

So... pretty much Matt Read. At the end of the season you look back at the stats and see Matt Read has 20 goals. And you don't remember a single one.

Agreed. Read is a better goal scorer and skater. 20+ goal scorer while playing more of a defensive role without much PP time. I don't see Leier getting near 20 goals/season. Probably not a PP guy either.

Last edited:

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I think Ben Smith would be a better comparable for Leier than Read. Versatile bottom 6 guy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Read is one of the most underrated players in the league. No way in hell does leier come close to producing what he does.

I see leier as being a bit better than Darroll Powe. Maybe a 8- 10 goal guy who can put up 30 pts.

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
As much as I hate the Winterhawks (Everett fan), Taylor Leier was an incredible captain for their 2013-2014 roster. Tough, skilled, devoted, tons of heart, and excellent defensively. I really hope he pans out for Philly.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Matt Read isn't a fair comparable from the get-go because he's 28 and has very little mileage on him compared to most 28 year-old players. He came into the NHL already developed in every way. Most prospects don't have that advantage or look that good from the start.

Not saying Leier is capable of being a 25 goal guy like Read has been but this is probably the best Read will ever be and his development path was pretty nice for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Leier was called up today and could make his NHL debut tonight in Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad