LW Tanner Pearson - Barrie Colts, OHL (2012 Draft)

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Is this kid any good?
'92 birthday, so he's 19.
He has 14 points in 5 games so far this year.
You guys think he will get drafted/signed or is he just another junior scorer who won't make it?
He is a LW btw.
Cheers!

Oct 18, 2006
Normally these unsigned guys are like 5'8" or something, but he's listed as 6 foot, so what's the deal??

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If he's 19 he has to be drafted. If he can keep it up all season and have an Azevedo type year he might be drafted pretty high. I've never heard of him but they talk about him on the radio all the time here (Kitchener) because he's from here.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not sure who is feeding off of who for the Barrie Colts, but this is his line

Colin Behenna(5G, 11A, 16P 7GP) - Zach Hall(8G, 10A, 18P, 7GP) - Tanner Pearson(7G,14A,21P, 7GP)

They are 1, 2, 3 in OHL scoring so far.

None of them are drafted. The other two are small guys though.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
I can't speak for Tanner in particular but the numbers of his line make me wonder if his line is comparable with the O'Brien - Bissonette - Trudeau line in the Q for Bathurst.

they are 3 of the top 5 scorers in the league, yet both times ive seen them this year none of them have stood out as above average players.

My point is you'll always have lines/ players that click for one reason or another and their big numbers don't necessarily equate to Pro level skill.

jughead42*

They are beating up on a weak eastern conference while NHL drafted guys were at camp. If he's still leading the league when all is said and done you might have something, but I suspect he will come back to earth once some guys who were at NHL camps get up to speed. They scored 8 goals on a Niagara team which sounds impressive until you hear they didn't have Visentin or Strome. They put up big numbers in the opening game against Kingston who were missing guys to NHL camp and suck even when they have those players. Its nice and all, but its more likely an early season anomaly than a sign that he's going to be a super star.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The only game I got to see Pearson/Behenna/Hall this year was against Kingston in the season opener, in which they dominated. But I think a lot of that had to do with how unorganized Kingston was in that game.

Behenna (a small overage player) had 88 points last year, Pearson put up 42 points as an 18 year old rookie, Hall had 8 goals in just over half the season as a 17 year old. So Behenna showed skill last year, but his size probably will hold him back. Pearson put up solid first year numbers, but nothing outstanding. And Hall saw limited ice time, so he's hard to gauge.

I'm not really sure any of them have NHL potential, though. I think they're just good junior players who seem to have found chemistry and are clicking real well right now.

But you never know.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I'm going to be writing something up this week about the line's success. As STK mentioned, Behenna is a very good OHL player with limited pro upside and Zach Hall is very similar to Luke Pither in style, but he's a little bit smaller.

Pearson on the other hand is actually not a bad player at all and has some tools that make him a decent NHL prospect. I was pretty impressed with him last season and it seems like he's really taken his game to the next level this season. While he obviously will not maintain that 3PPG pace, he's certainly a candidate to be drafted and I think a lot of NHL teams will be looking at him pretty closely this season.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
I'm going to be writing something up this week about the line's success. As STK mentioned, Behenna is a very good OHL player with limited pro upside and Zach Hall is very similar to Luke Pither in style, but he's a little bit smaller.

Pearson on the other hand is actually not a bad player at all and has some tools that make him a decent NHL prospect. I was pretty impressed with him last season and it seems like he's really taken his game to the next level this season. While he obviously will not maintain that 3PPG pace, he's certainly a candidate to be drafted and I think a lot of NHL teams will be looking at him pretty closely this season.

Oh lord...Luke Pither...:shakehead

Koto

May 3, 2011
hasnt he already cleared two drafts? by my math he was eligable for 2010

arent you a FA if you clear two drafts?

what does a 19 year old who scores lets say he stays above 2 PPG (hes at 3 right now) project to be in the nhl?

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for the input guys.
As for what he projects to be, my guess would be anything between top 9 NHL forward or top line AHL sniper.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
hasnt he already cleared two drafts? by my math he was eligable for 2010

arent you a FA if you clear two drafts?

what does a 19 year old who scores lets say he stays above 2 PPG (hes at 3 right now) project to be in the nhl?

Definitely don't take my word on this stuff as I've always been kind of baffled by guys that can store tons more than other guys drafted in the NHL, and never be drafted, and never have a career to speak of, while the lower scoring guy carves a career out in the NHL.

Scouts know what they're talking about, and chances are if he hasn't been drafted then he probably won't have much of a career despite his numbers. AHL likely.

There are always exceptions, so we'll have to see. Most of the time these guys that go undrafted have major size disadvantages, but this guy seems pretty big. Will be interesting.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I have seen them all play several times this season. There line is very good. They really like to move the puck up the ice and once they get in the offensive zone the cycle,cycle, and cycle. They get a lot of power play time with Eckblad on the point.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Bump

13 games 30 points 2nd in scoring behind Yakupov's 14 games 31 points

6'0 2010 eligible, I know his linemates are doing good too but who is this guy? Is he the best on his line? What is his potential? If he keeps this up where does he go

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Scouts know what they're talking about, and chances are if he hasn't been drafted then he probably won't have much of a career despite his numbers. AHL likely.

There are always exceptions, so we'll have to see. Most of the time these guys that go undrafted have major size disadvantages, but this guy seems pretty big. Will be interesting.

Hmm, alot of scouts should be fired then because dozens of players go undrafted every year only to be signed to pro contracts with a lot of them playing in the NHL either for a cup of coffee or for a decent career.

Bottom line is that some players just get better later on. For whatever reason it may be.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
We'll know if this guy is for real if he makes the World Junior team and plays decent. There are too many 19-year-olds who do well in juniors only to go on to become a career AHLer.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Got a good look at Tanner Pearson over the last couple of days and he is very impressive. Judging by his stats he's a player thats come out of nowhere. He's a player that has a Jamie Benn type thing going on. Plays a feisty offensive game either scrapping in front of the net for loose pucks or using his wicked wrist shot from the outside. I'm sure NHL teams will be falling all over themselves to get this guy signed.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Is he still draft eligible or can he be signed as a ufa?

I was just going to ask this. He currently has 41 points in 19 games-ahead of Nail. Can anyone who has seen him say if he has stand-out finesse skills, good shot, defense, or good speed? Defense will make or break him, so if he has any of that he could make it.

Edit: I just noticed Dangeman's post. Can he translate those abilities to the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad