LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Use the Schwartz*

Man, the guy is on fire. Picked him with my last pick in my fantasy draft (234th overall out of about 240).

Glad i grabbed him, coming through in the clutch for me now though.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He did really well in his brief show during the end of last season, and everyone expected him to continue that pace. Him being sent down was a good call. Gives him time to properly develop.

Last edited by a moderator:

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
[mod]

On topic, he's been a bit frustrating but he's hardly a bust. >0.5ppg on a very bad team, usually on the 4th line, is far from a bust. Sending him down was to strengthen his development, not a sign that he is a bust

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The players who are good NHLers at 21 are the exception, not the rule. Baertschi is a very talented, smart player, he's going to be good. I continue to think that, in his prime, he'll be a Cammalleri type player.

bloggerfanthe*

I see alot of Sam Gagner in Sven. Had success early on and now is declining. Just my opinion.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
I see alot of Sam Gagner in Sven. Had success early on and now is declining. Just my opinion.
I would argue that Sven is already much better defensively than Gagner. Edmonton would probably have been better served following a development path closer to what the Flames are doing with Baertschi. We already know he has the potential to be very good offensively. Sending him to the AHL to work on his defensive responsibilities and to learn to be more effective against bigger players will serve him well in the long run.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Didn't like the pick then and don't now.

He had that hot run where everyone thought he was going to be elite and then tailed off.

Going to be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Could easily see Burke include him in a trade.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010

He had that hot run where everyone thought he was going to be elite and then tailed off.

[MOD]

Prospects go through rough patches. Others, like Nicklas Jensen, score 4 points in 21 AHL games.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm sure you can find a Jensen thread to rip him. Go right ahead.

As for Baerstcihi, that's not a rough patch. That little run he had was more the anomaly.

Which is why he did it again at the end of last year, right? With a 7 game point streak to send the season?

The kid has no confidence and (to be honest) has been mishandled like no other. He has all the tools and I have faith he'll put them together soon. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

You didn't like the pick? Pray tell who you thought the Flames should have drafted instead?

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013

Sven has played the 11th most NHL games of all players drafted in 2011. He has scored the 10th most goals; the 9th most assists; and 9th most points of his draft class.

On all of those lists, the only players ahead of him who were drafted below him are Saad and Shaw (who are massive outliers, even for the Hawks -- Saad was Chicago's 4th pick of the draft, and Shaw was their 8th).

On a per game basis, he's 10th in goals; 4th in assists; and 7th in points from his draft class.

It might be just a tad early to call him a bust.
[credit to getbak of CP]

bloggerfanthe*

Which is why he did it again at the end of last year, right? With a 7 game point streak to send the season?

The kid has no confidence and (to be honest) has been mishandled like no other. He has all the tools and I have faith he'll put them together soon. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Confidence part I agree with but how has Sven been mishandled? He refuses to play in all three zones. Is the coach suppose to ignore that he only wants to play in the offense zone? Sven is a liability in his own end and until he learns how to play defense, he will get his chance again. Doubt it will be with Calgary though. Burke will deal him while he has some value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad