LW Stefan Matteau (2012, 29th, NJD; 2016 traded, MTL)

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
First of all, do you project the guy to be drafted high? Also, what could his upside be? The more I come to think about it the more he could enter the realm of Habs possibilities if the Habs still make the playoffs, somehow.

Is his style of play anything like Stephane Matteau's style when that player was a Ranger?

Last edited:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I could see him going late first, early second, third round minimum.

Good player on a solid group of USNTDP forwards in Kerdiles, Koules, Barber etc.

jughead42*

If Mike Keenan were GM of some team he'd take him with his first pick for sure.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Stéfan Matteau going to QMJHL next season, Matheson to follow?

Stéfan Matteau's rights have been traded to Blainville-Boisbriand where his dad is coaching. He'll join the team next season.

Also, Michael Matheson's rights have been traded from Shawinigan to Moncton in return of Gormley. It will be interesting to see if he'll join the QMJHL afterall.

Last edited:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Stéfan Matteau's rights have been traded to Blainville-Boisbriand where his dad is coaching. He'll join the team next season.

Also, Michael Mattheson's rights have been traded from Shawinigan to Moncton in return of Gormley. It will be interesting to see if he'll join the QMJHL afterall.

Honestly, I doubt Matheson goes to Moncton.

Is Matteau for sure joining the team next year? He's suspended until March from the USHL.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I read on Twitter that Matteau is confirmed in the QMJHL next season. His dad is an assistant coach with the team.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Honestly, I doubt Matheson goes to Moncton.

Is Matteau for sure joining the team next year? He's suspended until March from the USHL.

beside matheson it was just draaft picks traded for Gormley...I think you might see Matheson come to Moncton....looking at what moncton got they would have to be almost sure he was coming up for trading Gormley.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
beside matheson it was just draaft picks traded for Gormley...I think you might see Matheson come to Moncton....looking at what moncton got they would have to be almost sure he was coming up for trading Gormley.

A few of those picks will turn into at least a couple of players at the draft. Pretty heavy rumours of Dubeau and Veilleux being the likely players. I wouldn't read too much into this trade until the draft.

BLBarmada

I won't be surprised if Mike reports there, alot of his buddies are in the Q, and Moncton's pretty English no ?

He was never going to play in a swamp like Shawinigan.

As for Matteau, so he was going NCAA until the trade ? I'm glad that Bluchard owns the team now, good to see competent people helping that team return to repesctability !

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I won't be surprised if Mike reports there, alot of his buddies are in the Q, and Moncton's pretty English no ?

He was never going to play in a swamp like Shawinigan.

As for Matteau, so he was going NCAA until the trade ? I'm glad that Bluchard owns the team now, good to see competent people helping that team return to repesctability !

Shawi isnt a swamp...and its pretty ridiculous of you to say that to be honest....the kid dint want to play in the Q...didnt matter who drafted him...he may change his mind now, but its not because he didnt want to go to a 'swamp' like Shawi...

BLBarmada

Shawi isnt a swamp...and its pretty ridiculous of you to say that to be honest....the kid dint want to play in the Q...didnt matter who drafted him...he may change his mind now, but its not because he didnt want to go to a 'swamp' like Shawi...

Swamp's not the appropriate term, i agree, but it's dumpy, not much to do. Very French.

I believe he would of gone to a place like QC or SJ, Hali etc.

A friend of mine knows his father, I'll find out if he will consider Moncton.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Swamp's not the appropriate term, i agree, but it's dumpy, not much to do. Very French.

I believe he would of gone to a place like QC or SJ, Hali etc.

A friend of mine knows his father, I'll find out if he will consider Moncton.

Im sure he will end up in Moncton...his commitment to the NCAA has been weakening the last 6 months...

And if he is serious about his hockey career than who cares that there isnt much to do in Shawi...is he in it for the prestige or does he want to become a hockey player??

BLBarmada

Im sure he will end up in Moncton...his commitment to the NCAA has been weakening the last 6 months...

And if he is serious about his hockey career than who cares that there isnt much to do in Shawi...is he in it for the prestige or does he
want to become a hockey player??

LSL kid, enough said, same can be said for Drouin, Duclair etc.

They want the perks, their families have slot if stock in education, and they're spoiled rich kids.

Also part of it was that he wanted to graduate at Rennie with his friends which he has now done.

I'm surprised he reported to Dubuque, they truly believed that Drouin, Duclair and Matheson would play there, and hell even Omaha thought that Mackinnon would play there.

None of those guys really wanted the NCAA route, they want to win, and chose where they play.

When Dukey signed in Quebec, Drouin knew he wasn't going to Dubuque.

I'm surprised Matheson hasn't left. It's a matter of time.

These kids want to be NHLers, the parents have a huge say in their decisions though.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Moncton is probably more french than english, but in any case it certainly is a bilingual city.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
LSL kid, enough said, same can be said for Drouin, Duclair etc.

They want the perks, their families have slot if stock in education, and they're spoiled rich kids.

Also part of it was that he wanted to graduate at Rennie with his friends which he has now done.

I'm surprised he reported to Dubuque, they truly believed that Drouin, Duclair and Matheson would play there, and hell even Omaha thought that Mackinnon would play there.

None of those guys really wanted the NCAA route, they want to win, and chose where they play.

When Dukey signed in Quebec, Drouin knew he wasn't going to Dubuque.

I'm surprised Matheson hasn't left. It's a matter of time.

These kids want to be NHLers, the parents have a huge say in their decisions though.

What is with the LSL stigma?

BLBarmada

What is with the LSL stigma?

Highly educated rich folk, some in which have played in the Q back in the 80's, thus the bias twords college hockey.

The kids and their parents chose where they play, and will only play in certain cities under certain conditions.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Highly educated rich folk, some in which have played in the Q back in the 80's, thus the bias twords college hockey.

The kids and their parents chose where they play, and will only play in certain cities under certain conditions.

"Spoiled Rich Kids" from Dorval, Lachine & Pointe Claire are few and far between.

Majority come from median household incomes that, yes put education as a priority.

The spoiled kids are from DDO, Kirkland, Beaconsfield & Baie D'Urfe. Unfortunately they all get pooled together for LSL and they all get painted with the same brush.

It's a Lakeshore hockey stigma more than LSL IMO.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
We are not from Lakeshore or DDO. However, I would have an issue with my kid playing in certain cities of the Q. The coaching would have to excellant to overcome the short-clmings of certain Q teams.

The other thing is - what is wrong with having options. Hockey quebec limits the mobilty of its minor league players throughout. Its great that the kids -once they have an option - to have say in where they want to play.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
We are not from Lakeshore or DDO. However, I would have an issue with my kid playing in certain cities of the Q. The coaching would have to excellant to overcome the short-clmings of certain Q teams.

The other thing is - what is wrong with having options. Hockey quebec limits the mobilty of its minor league players throughout. Its great that the kids -once they have an option - to have say in where they want to play.

The Q is a great option, I think at the end of the day the maturity of the boy should determine his route. Players in the Q are not on as rigorous a schedule as USHL, Prep or College kids. However, if you have mature kid who knows what he wants then I'm certain in he can go to the Q, study hard in his spare time and keep his options open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad