LW Saku Mäenalanen - Kärpät, FEL (2013, 125th overall, Nashville)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
He has certainly been impressive, although playing with TT surely has helped him a lot... Didn't know who he was when Nashville drafted him last June, but it surely looks like a good pick for them now. Good mix of size and skill.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
He has certainly been impressive, although playing with TT surely has helped him a lot...

It's not just TT-effect, he looked quite promising with Kärpät earlier this year. Also, PPG in men's 2nd league isn't bad either...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Big Finn who does well around the net. He can finish in close and make space for himself. I don't have the ability to see him much in league play or else I would, but he seems to maybe have complementary scorer upside at the NHL level. Maybe another Hornqvist type? A guy that goes to the paint with toughness and can finish for more talented playmakers...

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Big Finn who does well around the net. He can finish in close and make space for himself. I don't have the ability to see him much in league play or else I would, but he seems to maybe have complementary scorer upside at the NHL level. Maybe another Hornqvist type? A guy that goes to the paint with toughness and can finish for more talented playmakers...

Could maybe be on a future line with Forsberg?.... hmmm :naughty:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
It's not just TT-effect, he looked quite promising with Kärpät earlier this year. Also, PPG in men's 2nd league isn't bad either...

It's actually only half of Teemu Selanne's production in the same league at the same age (36 goals, 69 points in 35 games).

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
It's actually only half of Teemu Selanne's production in the same league at the same age (36 goals, 69 points in 35 games).

Selanne is a completely different type of player and he's one of the best goalscorers. I don't think anyone is projecting that for Maenalanen.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
and a goal and an assist in the gold medal game.

Nashville looks to have a steal here.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
He has the size and looks to be really good in front of the net. I hope that this tournament was a turning point in his career, and he starts to light it up in Liiga.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He has the size and looks to be really good in front of the net. I hope that this tournament was a turning point in his career, and he starts to light it up in Liiga.

There just isn't any room for him in Kärpät. He should stay with jokipojat and go to ahl next year.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
There just isn't any room for him in Kärpät. He should stay with jokipojat and go to ahl next year.

Yeah, Could be better. Have you been watching him? In his Liiga games, what line was he in? what about time on ice?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Yeah, Could be better. Have you been watching him? In his Liiga games, what line was he in? what about time on ice?

He played with Donskoi and Kemppainen on third line with no pp time. Scored one nice goal when he powered through the whole Tappara team but was pretty invisible for the most part in the other games.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I see a lot of Patric Hornqvist in him...but bigger and more physical.

Gritty player with offensive ability and quick hands that can create havoc in front of the net.

This was the comparison that came to mind as well. Maybe a bit like Bryan Bickell as well

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Goal for Saku in his first game back from WJC in FEL. Went off his skate but still a goal. Had few other scoring changes and looked good defensively with nice back check and few takeaways. Even delivered couple of good hits. Played in third line with no pp minutes.

Kärpät lost and the whole team played like crap, so i think he will get more ice time next week as he was one of the better players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad