LW Ryan Gropp - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 41st, NYR)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
highly touted player Ryan gropp has committed to University of North Dakota for the 2014 season. He would have been eligable for 2014 NHL draft but he has a late birthday so has to wait till 2015. He was a high pick in 2011 of the Seattle Thunderbirds(6th overall) of the WHL but looks like he wont be playing Major Junior. Alot of people figured once Matt Barzal(2012 1st overall pick WHL) signed in Seattle, Ryan Gropp would soon follow. But that wasn't the case. Sure he can still change his mind and play in Seattle, but it isnt looking like it. Played in Team BC, team pacific, Allstate Mentorship cup, Youth Olympics, recently invited to Ivan Hlinka tryouts... pretty much everything a top player can be invited to, he has played at. This is a HUGE blow to Seattle. One U.S. reporter states in regards to Gropp commiting to UND...

"The rich continue to get richer as Ryan Gropp commits to North Dakota. May be the biggest commit to school since Jonathan Toews".

Very good player. I was really hoping he would have decided to play in the WHL just because I think Gropp playing along side Barzal with Shea Theodore on the point would have been extremely exciting.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
will he be playing in penticton this season and UND the next?
Yes, I'd guess that's the plan.
He was drafted by Des Moines of the USHL but it looks like he'll be playing with Penticton again this year, having played a pre-season game a few days ago.
As long as he meets academic requirements, he should play for UND during his draft season.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Yes, I'd guess that's the plan.
He was drafted by Des Moines of the USHL but it looks like he'll be playing with Penticton again this year, having played a pre-season game a few days ago.
As long as he meets academic requirements, he should play for UND during his draft season.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to hearing reports on him over the course of the year

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
just signed with Seattle Thunderbirds of WHL(team that drafted him)... will be joining Mathew Barzal now. DEADLY combo they will become. Both eligble for 2015 NHL draft

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I can't believe Seattle is gearing up so fast. Figures the 2 years I loved in Auburm they were a joke, and when I move across the country they are exciting.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Who good is that kid ?

I assume u are asking how good is that kid? Very highly touted kid. a '96 born player with a late birthday so is eligable for 2015 nhl draft. He had committed to university North Dakota earlier in the year and the school stated it was the biggest recruit since Jonathon Toews

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Very interesting. Interesting to see him switch this early into the season. Wonder if there are any glaring reasons that made him switch his mind. When will he start with the tbirds?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think the idea of trying to play hockey and focus on the draft and going to school and worrying about that was enough to sway him to the Tbirds.

That and lining up with Barzal for the next 2 seasons can't hurt either.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
I think the idea of trying to play hockey and focus on the draft and going to school and worrying about that was enough to sway him to the Tbirds.

That and lining up with Barzal for the next 2 seasons can't hurt either.

But wouldn't you think he knew about the extra workload taking the NCAA route and the pros and cons before he committed to UND?

Trot

Dec 4, 2002
Seattle, Wa
Visit site
I don't really think it's a NCAA workload thing.

In my opinion it has more to do with how Seattle played in the playoffs (despite getting knocked out in the first round they only lost 4-3 and were competitive throughout.) Now they've started the season 8-2 and are in first place in the West.

He can step into a team that has a pretty good top 2 lines (including another high level prospect in Barzal) and play a higher level of hockey rather than wait another season to play in the NCAA.

That's just my opinion though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
not to mention hitting the lottery playing with Barzal and Theodore and being eligable for the same draft as Barzal... A very good chance he will be very rich in afew years haha... no brainer decision

thegutter

May 22, 2011
do you think he will put up better point totals in the whl then he currently is in the bchl?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
what a turn around for Seattle, from a doormat to a top contender as soon as next year.

not sure if they have the legs to play with the top teams this year but off to a great start.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I think Barzal gets a lot of the credit for turning around the TBirds. He helped them to a hot start this year and there is no doubt in my mind that that played a role in Gropp changing his mind. That and playing alongside another guy who will be in the same draft as him. It's pretty much a guarantee that Gropp will be focused on the draft playing alongside Barzal next year.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Not really sure what a high Bantam pick was doing playing in the BCHL, he should obviously be playing with Seattle.

SeattleShark

Jul 16, 2010
TBirds are really deep at the forward position especially with this acquisition. If Their D plays up to its potential watch out. Lots of 19 year old forwards with a lot to prove, especially Branden Troock

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
TBirds are really deep at the forward position especially with this acquisition. If Their D plays up to its potential watch out. Lots of 19 year old forwards with a lot to prove, especially Branden Troock

Sorry for little offtopic, but how has Lipsbergs looked and why he wasn`t drafted last in the past draft? Maybe you have an insight of that. Could it be possible that someone will draft him the next draft?

GuillaumeLetsundress*

I thought this would happen sooner after Barzal committed, been following him in bchl, ever nice for Seattle

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
How** good is that kid ?

He was projected to be a first round pick in 2015 NHL draft by some scouting service.

The problem for Gropp will be trying to find minutes in Seattle. If he is the real deal he will get time, but Seattle's top two lines are beyond stacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad