C Otto Koivula (2016, 120th, NYI)

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Big booy who can score. I think he will play full season in liiga next year and 20+ points is possible. Surpassed Eetu Tuulola in my papers during this season. I see some NHL potential (3rd-4th line).

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
Signed a 2-year pro deal with Ilves in FEL. Most likely will start with the men instead of U20 next season as the team wants to cut salary expenses from bottom 6 for next year.

His team is playing in the finals of U20 that starts this week where he is best in his team in playoffs with 5gp 3+4=7 +4.

Late rounder, but has the size and skillset to become TOP9 player in NHL.

Noma

Koivula was chosen as the playoff MVP in the Junior A when he led Ilves to the championships. In the finals (best of three, blame the Finnish ice hockey federation) he had 2 goals and 3 assists in two games. He also finished second in the scoring race with 5+7 in 7 games.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Is he the best Jr. A player available in this draft? He seems to have the size and the skill...most other Finish Jr. A draftees seem to have one or the other. 3rd rounder?

Noma

predictions on possible round he'll be drafted in? any NHL upside?

Is he the best Jr. A player available in this draft? He seems to have the size and the skill...most other Finish Jr. A draftees seem to have one or the other. 3rd rounder?

Koivula has both the size and the skill, but he has lots of work ahead with his skating. He will be training with Ilves' men's team this summer and will have professional skating coaching.

Definitely has NHL upside, if his skating improves enough. I'd probably say he'll get drafted somewhere around 4th or 5th round. Late 3rd wouldn't be a surprise though.

Opinions on who's the best Finnish Jr. A draftee this year vary quite much. Henrik Borgström, Janne Kuokkanen and even Aapeli Räsänen and Tarmo Reunanen have been mentioned. I'd personally say Kuokkanen and Koivula are pretty much even at the top, though Borgström is not far behind.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Koivula has both the size and the skill, but he has lots of work ahead with his skating. He will be training with Ilves' men's team this summer and will have professional skating coaching.

Definitely has NHL upside, if his skating improves enough. I'd probably say he'll get drafted somewhere around 4th or 5th round. Late 3rd wouldn't be a surprise though.

Opinions on who's the best Finnish Jr. A draftee this year vary quite much. Henrik Borgström, Janne Kuokkanen and even Aapeli Räsänen and Tarmo Reunanen have been mentioned. I'd personally say Kuokkanen and Koivula are pretty much even at the top, though Borgström is not far behind.

Thanks! That isn't including Eetu Tuulola since he played some in Liiga right? Curious to where he is with respect to the rest of them

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
With this guy's impressive point production and size I assumed he must be an overager, but no- he's almost a late '98, in fact. How does he not get more attention? His ranking seems low. And no invitation to the U18 team? Is his skating really so bad? Can someone enlighten me?

Seems well worth a gamble on those numbers alone.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Negatives:
Doesn't care doing much off-ice training. Just goes to team practises and plays games. All great pros always do some extra at home.

Positives:
Doesn't care much about nutritioning yet, so first development camp in important. If he fixes things to a pro level, it could raise his future potential.

Big guy and I think he could be decently skilled net-front player if he has willingness to transfer for that role.

I "know" him personally through a friend's fiancee.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Negatives:
Doesn't care doing much off-ice training. Just goes to team practises and plays games. All great pros always do some extra at home.

Positives:
Doesn't care much about nutritioning yet, so first development camp in important. If he fixes things to a pro level, it could raise his future potential.

Big guy and I think he could be decently skilled net-front player if he has willingness to transfer for that role.

I "know" him personally through a friend's fiancee.

Thanks- that provides a little insight. If he has an undisciplined approach to training, then I can see that could be a concern.

Of course, one can always dream about how good he could become if he learns good off-ice habits. Not everyone does, though.

I haven't watched him at all, so I have no insight to offer. However, given his production I would definitely consider him worth a gamble at some point in this draft. I've gotta think NHL scouts- at least some of them- will think the same way.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
With this guy's impressive point production and size I assumed he must be an overager, but no- he's almost a late '98, in fact. How does he not get more attention? His ranking seems low. And no invitation to the U18 team? Is his skating really so bad? Can someone enlighten me?

Seems well worth a gamble on those numbers alone.

Otto Koivula was last cut for Team Finland's U18 WJC roster when Jesse Puljujärvi joined Finland's team after Finnish Elite Leagues bronze medal game.
Koivula has developed and grown up behind Laine and Puljujärvi hype that's why he isn't got much media etc attention in Finland.

Finnish daily journals like iltasanomat and iltalehti writes a lot articles of FEL, KHL, and NHL.
But Finnish U20 juniors and their league won't get media attention in Finland at all.

This season Koivula is one candidate for Team Finland's world junior team.
He can make in the team if he stays healthy and plays well in FEL and he makes impact in Finland's world juniors evaluation camp.

DuckJazz

Jan 11, 2014
Scored two of his first goals in the FEL yesterday. This kid is going to be a great player.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Big guy with skill. NYI needs help on RW, but it's nice that he seems comfortable on both wings.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
That last goal was just magic. Someone worthy to follow up on the league this year?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Anders Lee 2.0?

We could use another big goal scorer in tight like this kid.

Koivula looks more more skilled than Lee and can create offense from outside the crease.

Other than the size, I don't see the Lee comparison at all.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The promising thing about this kid is he's scoring goals by getting into the dirty areas. Unlike beating inferior goaltenders with a wrist shot 10' out, or over powering midget defensemen, that is the type of production that can translate to the NHL

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Will be traded for an ageing veteran pending UFA at the trade deadline. Hope Rangers have interest in Drew Stafford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad