LW/RW Nikita Chibrikov (2021, 50th, WPG)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What kind of player do you think he is like a Kucherov or Kaprizov or someone else? I was told by some scout friends that we stole him in the 2nd and they think he might be a top 10 player from this draft
He was definitely BPA among Russians in the draft and he proves it with his play this season being the best U20 VHL player by far. In fact there are only two U23 players ahead of him in PPG, both are 2000 born 21 year olds and Chibrikov is still 18 until February.

I don't know how that bias towards Svechkov being a defensive minded center works out, but purely on skill and numbers Chibrikov is ahead of him. Him being a late 2nd rounder was a steal and it's not a debate. How much of a steal time will tell. He certainly will end up way higher than where he was picked in re-drafts. Kucherov is probably too high to aim at, but Kaprizov is a very reasonable ceiling for him. He does not have Kaprizov's build(while it is early, they are all no 230 pounders at 18), so I doubt a lot of physicality will ever be his attribute, but he drives to the net, goes into battles fearlessly. That was the first thing I liked about him when he was playing on the senior NT as a 17 year old. He is a pretty neat allrounder. He is a good to great playmaker, he is a fast and elusive skater, he has the shot. He can drive a line and take up the role that is needed on it because he could do all of it. Whether he will translate it to the highest level depends on his further development of course. Right now I expect him and Michkov to carry the WJC team.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kaprizov and Kucherov is too much. Buchnevich though...
Buchnevich is a completely different type and never had the talent at the same age. He developed very well and is at least sctratching at the ceiling I would have projected for him. So yeah, development is at least as important as raw talent, but Chibrikov is the more talented, but completely different type of player, a smaller, faster, more offensively gifted winger. And I don't see why Kaprizov is not a good scratch on the wall.

Yes, Kaprizov scored some points in the KHL at 18, but he was not in the SKA system, but rather the MNk where he was trusted with a lot of minutes. And Chibrikov's performance in the VHL looks very promising. If you compare their junior performances Chibrikov actually has an edge at U18 level.

U18 WJC:
Kaprizov 4GP 4PTS
Chibrikov 7GP 13PTS

U20 WJC as an underager:
Kaprizov 7GP 3PTS

U20WJC(as a leader):
Kaprizov 7GP 12PTS

I see no reason why Chirbrikov would not perform in the same mold at the WJC. I also expect him to wear the "C" just like Kaprizov. Also the reason Chibrikov wasn't at the last WJC is age probably. He will be 18 throughout the upcoming WJC as a February born. He was 17 last year, so they skipped him over and maybe it was a mistake.

If you ask me if Chibrikov could match Kaprizov's performance as a 19 year old in the KHL next year I would say I don't see why not.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Chibrikov is 5’10. Buchnevich is 6’3. Not a good comparison. Marchenko or Yurov are better comparisons for Buchnevich.
There I would clearly put Buchnevich between Marchenko and Yurov. Yurov is pretty much a high end talent even before his draft.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Buchnevich is a completely different type and never had the talent at the same age. He developed very well and is at least sctratching at the ceiling I would have projected for him. So yeah, development is at least as important as raw talent, but Chibrikov is the more talented, but completely different type of player, a smaller, faster, more offensively gifted winger. And I don't see why Kaprizov is not a good scratch on the wall.

Yes, Kaprizov scored some points in the KHL at 18, but he was not in the SKA system, but rather the MNk where he was trusted with a lot of minutes. And Chibrikov's performance in the VHL looks very promising. If you compare their junior performances Chibrikov actually has an edge at U18 level.

U18 WJC:
Kaprizov 4GP 4PTS
Chibrikov 7GP 13PTS

U20 WJC as an underager:
Kaprizov 7GP 3PTS

U20WJC(as a leader):
Kaprizov 7GP 12PTS

I see no reason why Chirbrikov would not perform in the same mold at the WJC. I also expect him to wear the "C" just like Kaprizov. Also the reason Chibrikov wasn't at the last WJC is age probably. He will be 18 throughout the upcoming the WJC as a February born. He was 17 last year, so they skipped him over and maybe it was a mistake.

If you ask me if Chibrikov could match Kaprizov's performance as a 19 year old in the KHL next year I would say I don't see why not.

Lol Buchnevich never had talent. He played in KHL at age 17. And he scored 18 points in 40 games in his 18 year old season.

I'd say Buchnevich just lately started to play at his talent level in the NHL though. Chibrikov can probably get to Buchnevich's level earlier, but hardly will be the better player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There I would clearly put Buchnevich between Marchenko and Yurov. Yurov is pretty much a high end talent even before his draft.

Yurov could be a star, but its also not realistic that almost anyone other than the top pick in most drafts has a middle ground outcome between floor and ceiling of a first line forward.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lol Buchnevich never had talent. He played in KHL at age 17. And he scored 18 points in 40 games in his 18 year old season.

I'd say Buchnevich just lately started to play at his talent level in the NHL though. Chibrikov can probably get to Buchnevich's level earlier, but hardly will be the better player.
LOL? LOL

He was playing for Severstal. Just like Kaprizov for MNk(How's Kaprizov's linemate Kazakov doing?). So what do those games played and points prove? He was(deservingly) Severatal's golden boy. So yes, he scored those points, but you miss the context(on purpose?). Buchnevich's game always had a lot of weak spots. His strength is exactly the ability to work on his game and improve it. And he has done that over the years nearly perfecty. He was a guy without the shot once, he started shooting and scoring, he was bad defensively and is now considered one of the better defensive forwards. He was one of the top players on two of the most uneventful russian WJC forward rosters. One he has lead alongside Barbashev, the other's stars were Grigorenko and Slepyshev. In many other russian forward groups he would be a 2nd liner at best. That helped his draft stock and still he was drafted in the 3rd round because at draft day a lot of people saw the same thing. He was not at all a lock to become what he has become now. Chibrikov is consiedered a steal late in the 2nd. Based on talent. In which direction his development and work ethics will lead him is an another story. But based on talent alone Chibrikov has the tools to become a better player than Buchnevich.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
LOL? LOL

He was playing for Severstal. Just like Kaprizov for MNk(How's Kaprizov's linemate Kazakov doing?). So what do those games played and points prove? He was(deservingly) Severatal's golden boy. So yes, he scored those points, but you miss the context(on purpose?). Buchnevich's game always had a lot of weak spots. His strength is exactly the ability to work on his game and improve it. And he has done that over the years nearly perfecty. He was a guy without the shot once, he started shooting and scoring, he was bad defensively and is now considered one of the better defensive forwards. He was one of the top players on two of the most uneventful russian WJC forward rosters. One he has lead alongside Barbashev, the other's stars were Grigorenko and Slepyshev. In many other russian forward groups he would be a 2nd liner at best. That helped his draft stock and still he was drafted in the 3rd round because at draft day a lot of people saw the same thing. He was not at all a lock to become what he has become now. Chibrikov is consiedered a steal late in the 2nd. Based on talent. In which direction his development and work ethics will lead him is an another story. But based on talent alone Chibrikov has the tools to become a better player than Buchnevich.

Man don't even try. You'll never make me think, than being 0.5 PPG in the KHL at age 18 doesn't take any talent. Sorry.

P.S. Kaprizov scored just 4 points in 4 games at WJC U18 being a KHL starter. Sometimes shit happens...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Man don't even try. You'll never make me think, than being 0.5 PPG in the KHL at age 18 doesn't take any talent. Sorry.

P.S. Kaprizov scored just 4 points in 4 games at WJC U18 being a KHL starter. Sometimes shit happens...
You should really take time and work on your reading comprehension. And logic.

It's always the same. Emotions taking over. How could anybody contradict your persona?

Did I say Buchnevich did not have talent? No. That's what you think I said, because you get caught in your emotions. Inevitably you end up fighting against your own perception of what I said rather than reality.

Having some talent and having top10 talent are two very different things. Buchnevich obviously had some talent to be on the NT and play in the KHL. But he obviously did not have the talent to be considered a high pick. Whether he should have gone higher than 3rd round is again a compltely different story. But he wasn't on draft day and looking at his talent level alone a top10 pick.

Again, looking at pure, raw talent guys like Chibrikov, Yurov, even Miroshnichenko are more talented than Buchnevich. It does not mean any of them let alone all of them will reach Buchnevich's level and be top6 players in the NHL. For two reasons. Development can go both ways. Buchnevich(as I explicittely explained and you obviously missed that too reading) is a prime example of a player who developed nearly perfectly to his ceiling with hard work and attention to weaknesses in his game. Most players do not do that. It's only some are more talented from the get go and get a pass.

P.S. No matter how you turn it, Kaprizov was PPG which is by no means a bad stat. Chibrikov was significantly above PPG. It's a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In style he is for me a hybrid between Zuccarello and Gaudreau. Maybe he is slightly more of a shooter than passer vs those two? Not sure.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did he return after being helped from the ice? Working, haven't had a chance to go back to review it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad