LW/RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019, 2nd, NYR) Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
It hasn't really shown in scoring chances yet but I think he is more confident on the ice. He skates harder and doesn't look as tired as he did after every shift. Also at least in this game he has engaged more on board battles instead of waiting for the puck.

He is still far from what he could be but I like he is starting to play more with his strengths. Usually that leads into good things on the ice.

The funny thing is, his loss of possession directly led to his goal. He can turn in a phone booth, but os still getting muscled off the puck too easily. That only cones with time in the gym & nutrition. When he fills out, he’s gonna be a hoss on the puck like Kovalev or a poor man’s Jagr.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Less than Finland, Id say.

Also, Matthews, Eichel, Tkachuk 2x, Poehling, Boldy, Makar, Hughes Q, Svechnikov, Miller, Veleno, Byram, Turcotte, Broberg, Dahlin, Cozens, Caufield, Bjornfot, Sandin, McMichael, Tomasino, Hischier, Patrick, Andersson, Kostin, Podkolzin... to name a few. A lot more than Finland.
That list is pretty much nonsense, if you leave out Eichel, Matthews, Dahlin and Tkachuk's, also maybe Makar. Heiskanen and Hintz for example are better skaters than any of these guys. How about Kapanen? Physical wise Barkov and Rantanen were Matthews&Eichel tier when they entered the league.

Lias Andersson is one of the worst skaters in the league, nice try tho.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Does that count as a NHL goal since it’s against the Sens?

Good for him though. Looking way more confident.
Still needs to work on his skating.

He's a good skater, could bully men with his strenght as s - 1 draft player.
In comparison superior to Laine/Rants at the same age.

Just needs to get in shape.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That list is pretty much nonsense, if you leave out Eichel, Matthews, Dahlin and Tkachuk's, also maybe Makar. Heiskanen and Hintz for example are better skaters than any of these guys. How about Kapanen? Physical wise Barkov and Rantanen were Matthews&Eichel tier when they entered the league.

Yup, these are likely the best Finnish skaters currently, along with Erik Haula.

It's interesting when you notice which summer training group these skaters do NOT participate in.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Yup, these are likely the best Finnish skaters currently, along with Erik Haula.

It's interesting when you notice which summer training group these skaters do NOT participate in.

Mostly because none of those players aren't from Turku (like most of Rautalas trainees, Laine being exception) and they've been great skaters since juniors...

Or do you actually believe that if Laine or Kakko trained with Heiskanen they would become great skaters?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I think my post went over your head.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I guess you didn't watch him last year.
It doesn’t really matter what he looked like with his skating while playing in the European size rinks, as there isn’t even close to the kind of stop and go play as there is in the NHL. Laine looked in fact like a similar level skater in his last Liiga season compared to Kakko’s last season. They both hit the wall skating wise when they started playing in the constant stop and to play that the NHL is about.

And that happens to every single European player, when they start in the NHL. The bigger the player, the more difficult and longer the needed development period. Only relatively smaller and already naturally very gifted skaters will have a bit shorter adapting period usually.

Also it is very naive to think that there would be a quick and substantial difference with any player’s skating if they changed to any top coaches training program. The biggest effect on every player’s skating comes from their natural talent. They can develop their skating by some means for sure, but for that it is about really training long and hard to get physically closer to the level that the naturally talented skaters have been gifted with.

The best example of this kind of a player is Draisaitl, who is probably the best bigger sized (around 6’3 tall or taller) skater in the world right now. He wasn’t definitely like that when he got to the NHL. But with very hard physical training he has been able to make his weakness a real strength.

Rantanen has been developing in the similar way, but is still about a year behind Draisaitl with his training. Laine has also been gradually developing on a good pace with his skating and of course Barkov developed very well during his several years of hard training. Kakko will develop very well with his skating too, but it will for sure be a multi-year project as well.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Came as advertised last night, regardless of the goal/assist thought he was buzzing the entire night...definitely looked much faster out there. He was slowly getting better with each game after that rough patch. Thinking having Ruutu helped, also finally getting favorable PP time is probably helping with his confidence.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was a great performance, and what the team expected when they drafted him. Let's see him keep it up before we say he's finally figuring out the NHL. He doesn't need to score two points or play as well as he did yesterday every game, but that was the first game where he played as he did at lower levels. He probably didn't have another game this season where he was in the top 3 skaters on the team, so I'm hesitant to say he's figuring out the NHL off of one good NHL game. Thats all its been. Hopefully he keeps it up.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He was better last night but im still waiting for the dominant performance. He just does not move very well. And hes holding on to the puck, and making one too many moves. Needs to simplify and understand hes isnt a real pretty player. Hes been good down low/along the boards and is adjusting to the strength/skill of NHL players though

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yesterday I pointed out how much better Kakko has looked in the recent games despite of not scoring and it's like he just took yet another step forward. Was setting up scoring chances and it seemed like something would happen every time he stepped on the ice. This could have been a four point game. He's adjusting quickly and his game looks a whole a lot better than in the beginning. It's remarkable if you think how little time has passed.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He was better last night but im still waiting for the dominant performance. He just does not move very well. And hes holding on to the puck, and making one too many moves. Needs to simplify and understand hes isnt a real pretty player. Hes been good down low/along the boards and is adjusting to the strength/skill of NHL players though
:rolleyes:

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Yeah.
He did that puck holding also in Liiga way to mutch. In NHL it will cost more.
When I critiqued this part of his game was attacked from Finland as Kakkos linemates sick so no use to pass and there was No lanes to pass.
Well those arguments are just bull.

Hopefully he learns to use his strengts more intellectual way.
The way he goes around is flashy but not really effective and quite tiring.
Shorter busding around with drive to net, shot or a pass.
Though at this point he does not posses the strenght or speed to drive to a net.

But kid will learn.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Ive been here long enough to know that your response was sarcasm. But if you truly think he has been somewhat dominant whatsoever you are just being biased. He struggles to keep up

Idk, based on his production, advanced stats, eye test, and DQ moving him up to the first line, he was terrific last night. Thought he was moving much better last night too...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ive been here long enough to know that your response was sarcasm. But if you truly think he has been somewhat dominant whatsoever you are just being biased. He struggles to keep up
The rolling of the eyes was in response to your "He was better but I'm waiting for him to dominate on the ice". Enjoy waiting another year or 2. He is 18 and it's incredibly hard for an 18 year old to go out on "dominate". He played a very good game overall yesterday and that is what is important.

Reactions: Kiekura

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah.
He did that puck holding also in Liiga way to mutch. In NHL it will cost more.
When I critiqued this part of his game was attacked from Finland as Kakkos linemates sick so no use to pass and there was No lanes to pass.
Well those arguments are just bull.

Hopefully he learns to use his strengts more intellectual way.
The way he goes around is flashy but not really effective and quite tiring.
Shorter busding around with drive to net, shot or a pass.
Though at this point he does not posses the strenght or speed to drive to a net.

But kid will learn.
Well, you critique every part of his game so it's tough to keep track.

Just so you understand, it could be difficult at 18 years of age, but that doesn't mean the play style in itself won't work.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It doesn’t really matter what he looked like with his skating while playing in the European size rinks, as there isn’t even close to the kind of stop and go play as there is in the NHL. Laine looked in fact like a similar level skater in his last Liiga season compared to Kakko’s last season. They both hit the wall skating wise when they started playing in the constant stop and to play that the NHL is about.

And that happens to every single European player, when they start in the NHL. The bigger the player, the more difficult and longer the needed development period. Only relatively smaller and already naturally very gifted skaters will have a bit shorter adapting period usually.

Also it is very naive to think that there would be a quick and substantial difference with any player’s skating if they changed to any top coaches training program. The biggest effect on every player’s skating comes from their natural talent. They can develop their skating by some means for sure, but for that it is about really training long and hard to get physically closer to the level that the naturally talented skaters have been gifted with.

The best example of this kind of a player is Draisaitl, who is probably the best bigger sized (around 6’3 tall or taller) skater in the world right now. He wasn’t definitely like that when he got to the NHL. But with very hard physical training he has been able to make his weakness a real strength.

Rantanen has been developing in the similar way, but is still about a year behind Draisaitl with his training. Laine has also been gradually developing on a good pace with his skating and of course Barkov developed very well during his several years of hard training. Kakko will develop very well with his skating too, but it will for sure be a multi-year project as well.

Not being in shape(skating) to start the season hurts once skating quite a bit.

Laine for sure didn't look like Kakko in regards to skating, Kakko was superior, the way he could turn and accelarate were miles ahead.
Laine was good when he got going.

He's running into same problems as Laine did conditioning wise, and they both train in Turku.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Idk, based on his production, advanced stats, eye test, and DQ moving him up to the first line, he was terrific last night. Thought he was moving much better last night too...

No I agree he played probably his best game last night. Still left me wanting more

The rolling of the eyes was in response to your "He was better but I'm waiting for him to dominate on the ice". Enjoy waiting another year or 2. He is 18 and it's incredibly hard for an 18 year old to go out on "dominate". He played a very good game overall yesterday and that is what is important.

Cmon, we saw how dominant he could be last year. He was a bear. I want to see that at this level. I understand it takes time

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No I agree he played probably his best game last night. Still left me wanting more

Cmon, we saw how dominant he could be last year. He was a bear. I want to see that at this level. I understand it takes time

Yes I too was left wanting him to be in a position where he could have had 10 points rather than the 5 or 6 he could have had.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad