LW/RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019, 2nd, NYR) Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't mind him not getting 1st line time just yet, but Rangers should seriously consider switching him and Buchnevich on the powerplay. The Rangers only have 1 powerplay line, and Kakko should fit there better than Buch.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
PP1 time would give him some time with the puck and build confidence. I think he's on the verge of "Getting it" and as the Rangers schedule properly kicks off he'll start to improve. There were some flashes last night, but the penalties killed the flow entirely.

Reactions: bl02 and fr9dd9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't mind him not getting 1st line time just yet, but Rangers should seriously consider switching him and Buchnevich on the powerplay. The Rangers only have 1 powerplay line, and Kakko should fit there better than Buch.

Does he?

Kakko will be a great player eventually, but what evidence is there that he's anywhere near as good as Buchnevich right now? The criticism of Buchnevich and Kreider from the Finn's is completely unfair. I get you guys root for Kakko, but don't slag off his teammates just to build up Kakko. It's not team Kakko, its team Rangers. Whose next? Panarin and Zibanejad? By all means, if you guys want to point out something agreeable like Strome shouldn't be centering Kakko or there's no good option as the second line center right now, I think most Ranger fans will disagree, but you aren't going to find much agreement outside of Finn's when you guys start criticizing some of our only good players like Buchnevich and Kreider.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko will be a great player eventually, but what evidence is there that he's anywhere near as good as Buchnevich right now?
Eye test?

With sample size, that's the only possible evidence.

Btw, it's not just Finns. Reading the Rangers GDT would do wonders for you.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
has there been any explanations for him looking gassed out there all game? I don't remember seeing that opening night or game 2...but he really looked like he was struggling out there to keep up and I can't imagine it being a conditioning thing (like out of shape)..has there been any injury rumors with him? surprised me to see that..kid looked fine outside of that though, his positioning and smarts are high end no doubt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eye test?

With sample size, that's the only possible evidence.

Btw, it's not just Finns. Reading the Rangers GDT would do wonders for you.

It is just Finn’s, for the most part. I’ll pass on your suggestion. The majority of fans would not agree with how the Finns categorize our two wingers that you guys constantly criticize.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Hi, I've been following Kakko's start in the nhl and I think he's doing pretty good even though I understand fans impatience to see him in a prime spot. Seems similar to svechnikov's situation last year as all canes fans wanted him off the third line. I was wondering if anyone that watched a lot of his last year know about the exhausting thing ? I have also seen that, is it a little lack of explosiveness on the first few steps or fatigue settling in ?
btw for that PP thing he's looked absolutely at home on the PP and I think he made things happen with great hands and vision, maybe a bit more than buch, maybe Quinn wants him to be dangerous and main that 2nd unit ?

Reactions: deflowd

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Username "Pavel Buchnevich" sticks up for Pavel Buchnevich. In other news, water is wet.

I mentioned this at the Rangers baord in the appropriate thread already but the way the Rags PP units were set last night didn't make any sense. 4 forwards on the first one that plays most of the powerplay, with Panarin playing the blueline on the right side (changed that in the 3rd period) and Kreider playing at the office. On the second unit, the few seconds Kakko got to play, he was on the left side. In the 2nd he was on the right side for a moment, which ended when the dman instead of passing the puck to Kakko, known for having playmaking qualities, passed to his left which resulted in a turnover... Of you're going to play 4 forwards on the first pp unit, at least put Kakko as the guy behind the goal, since he's had "reasonable success" there in his short career.

I could go on at length about the coach and the (lack of) offensive and defensive strategies but this isn't the right thread for that discussion.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It is just Finn’s, for the most part. I’ll pass on your suggestion. The majority of fans would not agree with how the Finns categorize our two wingers that you guys constantly criticize.
You didn't even read posts by non-Finn Rangers fans and what they were saying? So why are you talking about something you don't know about?

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd love to watch Kakko but at the same time I know it will be frustrating as hell.

Thanks coach.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
He was invisible throughout the game. Can't blame him though, all lines except the first one are completely ineffective. Hope Quinn changes things up fast cause they'll be in the gutter if this keeps on going.

Reactions: xigon

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
He was invisible throughout the game. Can't blame him though, all lines except the first one are completely ineffective. Hope Quinn changes things up fast cause they'll be in the gutter if this keeps on going.

Agreed def his worst game but I look at the zone starts and I'm trying to figure out why an 18 year old is primarily being deployed in the Dzone and had an OZ faceoff% of 0

Reactions: Koijari

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko's worst game since one of the IIHF practice games last spring.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
You didn't even read posts by non-Finn Rangers fans and what they were saying? So why are you talking about something you don't know about?

He doesn't post on the NYR boards anymore bc nobody there takes him seriously.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Does he?

Kakko will be a great player eventually, but what evidence is there that he's anywhere near as good as Buchnevich right now? The criticism of Buchnevich and Kreider from the Finn's is completely unfair. I get you guys root for Kakko, but don't slag off his teammates just to build up Kakko. It's not team Kakko, its team Rangers. Whose next? Panarin and Zibanejad? By all means, if you guys want to point out something agreeable like Strome shouldn't be centering Kakko or there's no good option as the second line center right now, I think most Ranger fans will disagree, but you aren't going to find much agreement outside of Finn's when you guys start criticizing some of our only good players like Buchnevich and Kreider.

Well it has been this since Kakkos TPS Liiga games.
All play for Kakko. No one else can play.

But Yeah. Kid has some work to do.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Big Kakko fan here but he haven't earned 1st line minutes yet. He is definitely NHL-level player already but can't be prodictive without driver who can gain posession on offense. Strome is a black hole on that line.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad