LW Rudolfs Balcers (2015, 142nd, SJS; traded to OTT)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Here's a 97-born potential hidden gem, who has so far been completely off the radar and hasn't even made the extended CSS list.

That isn't exactly a surprise, as he plays in a severely under-scouted league in a non-traditional European hockey market and hasn't yet had the chance to play in the top-tier of WJC.

Balcers ripped up the Norwegian U-18 league as a 15-year-old, scoring nearly 3 points per game. He scored nearly a point per game in the Norwegian 2nd tier as a 16-year-old. This season he has made the jump to Eliteserien and has made the line-up of the leading Norwegian team, which also participated in the European Champions League.

He's the youngest player in history to score a goal in Eliteserien.

Balcers is also currently one of the most productive 97-born pro players in the world, recording 11 points in 15 games with the Oilers.

He will play in the U-18 WJC, as Latvia qualified by winning the Division I tournament last year. He is also a lock for the Latvian U-20 team, having already scored 5 points in 3 games in the first exhibition tournament this season.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
In case you don't know anything about Norwegian hockey, here's a little context.

Eliteserien is the highest division of the Norwegian hockey league, and it's a pretty good minor pro league comparable in quality to Mestis (Julius Nättinen), the Slovakian Extraliga (Erik Cernak) or even Allsvenskan (Kylington, Kovacs). It's got 10 teams and a growing number of foreign players (~30 North Americans with AHL/ECHL/NHL experience, ~40 Swedes with Allsvenskan/Hockeyettan/SHL experience).

Long story short, it's no Mickey Mouse league. :)

I'm pretty sure if Balcers was, say, Finnish and wouldn't play for a Norwegian team, he'd probably be a late 2nd-4th round pick next year.

Considering how conservative NHL scouts are, realistically I don't expect him to get drafted based on his productivity in Norway, so he will have to play lights out for the Latvian U-18 juniors this Spring to have an actual chance.

In any case, he's a guy to keep an eye on going forward.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Here are his stats profile on EP. Hard not to be excited about him, but has there ever been a player drafted out of Norway league?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Here are his stats profile on EP. Hard not to be excited about him, but has there ever been a player drafted out of Norway league?
Yup, that's the thing, players outside of Sweden/Finland/Russia/Czech/Slovakia are often viewed as 2nd-tier prospects just based on the fact that they're not playing there.

But, talking about the Norwegian league, Zuccarello had way worse stats at his age. Balcers is having a better season than Zuccarello had when he was a year older. :)

Also, Balcers just scored a goal in the 1st period vs. Lillehammer.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As a Latvian - first time i hear his name. But he sounds like a good player!

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Here's a 97-born potential hidden gem, who has so far been completely off the radar and hasn't even made the extended CSS list.

That isn't exactly a surprise, as he plays in a severely under-scouted league in a non-traditional European hockey market and hasn't yet had the chance to play in the top-tier of WJC.

Balcers ripped up the Norwegian U-18 league as a 15-year-old, scoring nearly 3 points per game. He scored nearly a point per game in the Norwegian 2nd tier as a 16-year-old. This season he has made the jump to Eliteserien and has made the line-up of the leading Norwegian team, which also participated in the European Champions League.

He's the youngest player in history to score a goal in Eliteserien.

Balcers is also currently one of the most productive 97-born pro players in the world, recording 11 points in 15 games with the Oilers.

He will play in the U-18 WJC, as Latvia qualified by winning the Division I tournament last year. He is also a lock for the Latvian U-20 team, having already scored 5 points in 3 games in the first exhibition tournament this season.

Where did you get that info? Espen Knutsen scored 14 goals as a 16 year old, and he's not the only one. 15 players have scored a goal in their 16 year old season.

Quite a few actually.

Steffen Søberg
Jonas Holøs
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
Vegard Barlie
Espen Knutsen
Ole Eskild Dahlstrøm
Ã…ge Ellingsen

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Where did you get that info? Espen Knutsen scored 14 goals as a 16 year old, and he's not the only one. 15 players have scored a goal in their 16 year old season.
My Norwegian skills have betrayed me. He's the youngest goal scorer in the history of Stavanger Oilers, not the league. I remember reading an article about it about a month ago.

The last U-18 player to put up similar numbers was Ken Andre Olimb 8 or 9 years ago.

Quite a few actually.

Steffen Søberg
Jonas Holøs
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
Vegard Barlie
Espen Knutsen
Ole Eskild Dahlstrøm
Ã…ge Ellingsen
So you're saying the last forward from the Norwegian league was drafted 24 years ago? That sounds about right.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
What kind of a game does he play? Who is he comparable to as a player?
I've only seen him in a couple of games with the Latvian junior team and I didn't 'scout' him specifically. Seemed like a good skater, played physically despite not being a very big guy.

He moved to Norway at a very young age (13 or 14), so probably only Norwegians have had the chance to watch him enough to give an in-depth perspective on his playing style.

As a Latvian - first time i hear his name. But he sounds like a good player!
He was considered one of the leading forwards of his age group when he was still playing here at an U-14 level.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
My Norwegian skills have betrayed me. He's the youngest goal scorer in the history of Stavanger Oilers, not the league. I remember reading an article about it about a month ago.

The last U-18 player to put up similar numbers was Ken Andre Olimb 8 or 9 years ago.

Ok. That sounds a lot more likely with Stavanger being a relatively new team.

So you're saying the last forward from the Norwegian league was drafted 24 years ago? That sounds about right.

Thats right. Sounds like this guy may have an outside shot though. A friend of mine plays for Stavanger. I'll have to ask him about this guy.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Posted about him a few days ago in the CHL import draft thread wondering if he maybe will go over to the CHL to play on a higher level. He looks real interesting. San Jose must've liked what they saw in the U18's because they drafted Karlis Cukste from that Latvian team too. Will be interesting to follow his development from here on out and which path he takes. I guess another year in the norwegian league wouldn't hurt him but the tougher competition he can face the better IMO.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
…and remember they signed another Latvian at the end of the QMJHL season, undrafted RW Nikita Jevpalovs, who put up 100 its last year as a 20 year old.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Led Kamloops in scoring this year. Was anyone able to watch him play?

Yup... him, Deven Sideroff(Ducks) and Garrett Pilon(Caps) were one of the best lines in the WHL. IMO had an extremely good season this year. Was fun to watch and put up a lot of points and can score goals. He was a steal getting him in the 5th round

1st on team with 40 goals and 2nd on team with 77 points in 66 games

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yup... him, Deven Sideroff(Ducks) and Garrett Pilon(Caps) were one of the best lines in the WHL. IMO had an extremely good season this year. Was fun to watch and put up a lot of points and can score goals. He was a steal getting him in the 5th round

1st on team with 40 goals and 2nd on team with 77 points in 66 games

Does he have NHL potential?

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Saw this on the Score...

Attachments

• 2018-09-13 22.47.40.png
    2018-09-13 22.47.40.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: monsieurthibz

Ad