LW Raphael Bussieres - Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL (2012 Draft)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
We've seen and heard so little about this guy, can anyone give some impressions after watching him this year?

He was drafted 46th overall by the Minnesota Wild this summer and frankly an unknown for most of us Wild fans. This year he started out somewhat slow with 5 points in 9 games and a -4...but now he's up to 13 goals and 32 points in 32 games and +14. This past week he had 4g and 10pts in 3gp!

2009-10: 7-10=17 25pim -23 in 44gp (0.39 PPG)
2010-11: 17-22=39 39pim -31 in 66gp (0.59 PPG)
2011-12: 21-23=44 60pim -2 in 56gp (0.79 PPG)
2012-13: 13-19=32 14pim +14 in 23gp (1.39 PPG)

Anyone got a report to give? Legit player or just getting lucky?

squidz*

To quote my own post from the Wild board:

8-14-22 in the last 9 games
7-10-17 in the last 6 games

Last season he had a streak that saw him put up 7-14-21 in 11 games. That's why he was drafted. He completely tailed off the rest of the season (22 points in 41 remaining games 10/27 onward). The Wild are hoping for him to figure this consistency thing out.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He's lazy and unmotivated. He doesn't really want to play defense and doesn't get involved physically. Highly inconsistent as well.

From time to time, he'll display what made him an NHL pick. He's a quick skater with a solid frame that will go to the dirty areas to make plays. He has great hands and a great offensive arsenal in general.

He has a lot of tools, maybe he just doesn't want to be in juniors anymore. Hopefully he'll mature along the way because he's a very talented kid.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He's lazy and unmotivated. He doesn't really want to play defense and doesn't get involved physically. Highly inconsistent as well.

From time to time, he'll display what made him an NHL pick. He's a quick skater with a solid frame that will go to the dirty areas to make plays. He has great hands and a great offensive arsenal in general.

He has a lot of tools, maybe he just doesn't want to be in juniors anymore. Hopefully he'll mature along the way because he's a very talented kid.

I was going to give a description myself but this pretty much sums it up. I was very surprised he was drafted at all , let alone that high. He can be a good player but his lack of dedication and laziness has definitely showed in his junior career.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
James Sheppard 2.0

I hope he succeeds. Wild GDTs are severely lacking Ninja Turtle pictures.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Sounds good. Effort can be taught, hockey IQ can not.

That must be why he was drafted so high. Perhaps the Q scout for the Wild randomly saw most of Bussieres' good games last year and thought very highly of him. It's true that Bussieres is a highly talented player and when he is on, he is on (like this week).

Honestly, the Drakkar have been (surprisingly) good this season, and have produced a lot of goals. Until last week, most Drakkar fans wanted Bussieres out... so that tells you a lot on him. Zykov and Straka have carried this team on their shoulders whereas Bussieres has been mostly dragging his feet along...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think with the stable of prospects for the Wild, I'd take a kid with tools and hockey sense but poor effort. We have prospects with tools and effort but no hockey sense (Brett Bulmer, Tyler Graovac).

Strikes me a player with skills and smarts but lacking the consistent work ethic can still be an impact guy in the majors but would likely be streaky. I'm thinking Devin Setoguchi for example.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I think with the stable of prospects for the Wild, I'd take a kid with tools and hockey sense but poor effort. We have prospects with tools and effort but no hockey sense (Brett Bulmer, Tyler Graovac).

Strikes me a player with skills and smarts but lacking the consistent work ethic can still be an impact guy in the majors but would likely be streaky. I'm thinking Devin Setoguchi for example.

Consitency issues are frequent with kids this age. Once he turns pro (AHL) and Wild coaches get on his case to help him perhaps he will turn the machine on. He is a nice project to have but not a guy you want to rely on as your top prospect. The Wild have plenty of good young players that they can let Bussieres developp at his pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad