LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

For reference:

All of Patrik's goals from the 2015-16 Liiga regular season and other highlights in chronological order.

All of Patrik's 2016 Liiga playoff goals, and playoff shift highlights as well, in chronological order.

Laine's 2016 IIHF U-20 World Junior Championship highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwf64yOB1wo

2015 IIHF U-18 tournament highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=445JOZMdxSY

CbrN_UWWAAE-EOJ.jpg

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I always see Ovi being downplayed as an 18-year-old compared to Laine.

If Matthews and his numbers can be put down because he played in Switzerland, doesn't the same apply to Laine against Ovi?

Russia has the better league.

JA

World Championship debut yesterday:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-world-championship-auston-matthews-belarus-goals-nhl-draft/
Patrik Laine puts on record-setting show in worlds debut
Luke Fox May 6, 2016, 3:47 PM

Laine scored two beautiful, unique goals, added an assist, and became the youngest player ever to score three points in a game in the World Championship en route to a 6-2 victory.

He finished with four shots in 13:31. The youngest Finn to ever play in the tournament probably could’ve scored twice more, seriously.

laineetu050516SH_jj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

You take almost a 15 year turn to Russia of 2003. To a league that has since those days went through complete transformation. Same applies to SM-liiga in many ways. Laine is projected to be more valuable player, number one draft pick compared to what monster they turned prospect Ovetskin into.

The whole Ovetskin-craze and the bizarre claim that Laine isn't much more than a goalscorer just show how lazy the media work is behind the whole scouting part of the draft... Barkov junior already witnessed it during his draft year.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Eternal Leaf said:
If Matthews and his numbers can be put down because he played in Switzerland, doesn't the same apply to Laine against Ovi?

Of course. Ovi scored 24 points in 53 games in his draft year though and was very close to AM in terms of age.

Hard to compare what is most impressive, though AO made the World Cup and World Championships team, which is crazy. We'll see if Laine succeeds in the same, probably not.

Edit: also good point that it's hard to compare different eras, also theres the fact that ovi became one of the best scorers of all time, which would've been a very unlikely proposition for him when he was Laine's age.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Yeah. Also, Ovechkin didn't get any 1st line minutes in his draft year IIRC. So it also explains his lower production. He was amazing player at 18 and everyone saw it.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You take almost a 15 year turn to Russia of 2003. To a league that has since those days went through complete transformation. Same applies to SM-liiga in many ways. Laine is projected to be more valuable player, number one draft pick compared to what monster they turned prospect Ovetskin into.

The whole Ovetskin-craze and the bizarre claim that Laine isn't much more than a goalscorer just show how lazy the media work is behind the whole scouting part of the draft... Barkov junior already witnessed it during his draft year.

Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Tyutin, Semin, Radulov, and Emelin.

These guys were all drafted in that timeframe from Russia. The league must have been doing something right.

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
Yeah. Also, Ovechkin didn't get any 1st line minutes in his draft year IIRC. So it also explains his lower production. He was amazing player at 18 and everyone saw it.

To be fair, Laine got Tappara 1st line minutes in the last three matches of the season (and scored 2+2 in those)..

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Laine had ~13 min TOI yesterday while playing in "3rd line". That's hardly 1st line minutes.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki

These guys were all drafted in that timeframe from Russia. The league must have been doing something right.
Big country. Obviously there comes talent but the league back then wasnt as good as KHL is now.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
The fact that finland have France and hungary in their group and that Laine already have 3 point might set him up for an unbreakable all time scoring record by an u18 player (current one is 5) go for it Laine!

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Radulov's one game in the Russian league had quite the impact then.

Earlier on it was said well that Ovetskin was quite the prospect but of course finished product could have been more impactful... I don't know how anyone can compare Ovetskin and Laine when Laine has as much as Ovetskin's eyes but on the overall level he is still a generational Finnish talent.

It takes also bit more heavier analysis to compare two leagues when one is in the past and one remains in modern day. Ice hockey has transformed since those days globally. I wouldn't be comfortable comparing Laine as a prospect before the last lockout either since much has changed.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I have to ask now. Will Laine make to Finnish World Cup team?

A bit early to say, and I unfortunately have become afraid that Marjamäki is this overly cautious chicken of a coach, so might as well be that he doesn't pick really any young guys to that team. Which would be a HUGE mistake. Laine, Aho, and a totally healthy Pulju would belong to World Cup. Maybe also Rantanen. But with Marjamäki there might be a true risk that none of them are there.

Although if Laine and Aho both have an amazing WHC tournament now, it might be practically impossible to skip these two of the greatest hockey prospects that Finland has ever had. Aho btw has now scored 9 points in only 7 national team games. And he has not been without a point in even a single game. Mighty impressive to have a 7 game point streak in the national team, let alone to do it at only 18 years old...

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Marjamäki already said in february that Laine is serious contender to make the world cup team.

Atleast his stock hasnt fallen durin playoffs and whc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine is an amazing talent, it's not only that he is producing, it's the quality of his goals or assists that continue to impress me.

I can't recall a prospect that is more interesting to watch. Nor continues to be so proficient against pro players.

The most impressive thing is, he just turned 18 a few weeks ago and has gotten progressively better this year, WJC, Liiga, and now WHC. Adjectives for him. Monster, Elite, Potentially the best Winger of his generation, Charismatic, Winner ect.

I am not exactly sure if he will go #2, all I do know is he is making a case for himself that it would be incredibly hard for any team to pass on him. Grade A talent.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
I have to ask now. Will Laine make to Finnish World Cup team?

Jokinen- Barkov - xxx
Granlund - Koivu - Teravainen
Filppula - Lehtera - Donskoi
Komarov - Haula - Rantanen

Could be: Salomaki, Laine, Korpikoski and Aho

There are at least 1 open spots in the scoring lines for me. How I see is our LW are filled again and he would be used as an RW again so lets see how that works against better teams than Belarus.

So in theory yes, there is a spot he can grab.

Jukkis

Jan 3, 2016
Finland
I think that the "mistake" what Patrik did on the first Belarus goal only showed us why he is so great. Many world cup first timers would have been little scared of more mistakes and unsecure, but what Patrik did is that he blasted the puck to the net 40 seconds after the goal. I like it what it tells about Patriks attitude, he only focuses in putting the puck to the net and is not afraid of mistakes. He has strong mental side, and thats great.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Jokinen- Barkov - xxx

Laine got his chance before Rantanen in this tournament so I'd argue he could be ahead in Marjamäki's papers as well.

This might not be our tournament yet but boy does that lineup look good in a few years!

Last edited:

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Laine got his chance before Rantanen in this tournament so I'd argue he could be ahead in Marjamäki's papers as well.

This might not be our night but boy does that lineup look good in a few years!

I have hard time dropping Rantanen from small ice rink where he has shined in AHL and has great board game. True though he isn't a surefire pick.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I have hard time dropping Rantanen from small ice rink where he has shined in AHL and has great board game. True though he isn't a surefire pick.

AHL is AHL, tho. Teemu Pulkkinen 46gp 34+27=61pts.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
No doubt Laine will play in the World Cup. There is no other goal scorer on the Finnish roster to come even close to what Laine brings.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No doubt Laine will play in the World Cup. There is no other goal scorer on the Finnish roster to come even close to what Laine brings.

And this would be fascinating. I do not recall another player in the same age bracket other than Lindros playing in a WC/Canada Cup.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Jokinen- Barkov - xxx

There are at least 1 open spots in the scoring lines for me. How I see is our LW are filled again and he would be used as an RW again so lets see how that works against better teams than Belarus.

So in theory yes, there is a spot he can grab.

I believe that if Marjamäki is after all not the chicken that I have so far thought he is, he will most likely pick Laine and Aho from the youngest guys. He had already Aho as his complete go to guy while he was coaching Kärpät this season, and of course Aho brought him the championship in the game 7 OT last year. Also Marjämäki saw already how amazing Laine can be, as it was exactly Laine whom almost singlehandedly beat Kärpät on the way to the finals.

I very much doubt that Marjamäki sees that Rantanen's great AHL season really compares to what Aho and Laine have done already. Nothing against Rantanen, but I have to say that as a player he is still quite much behind Laine and Aho. I believe that both Laine and Aho could clearly exceed the point total that Rantanen did this season in the AHL. But would be great to see all of them in the World Cup. Unfortunately will not likely happen. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad