LW Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2014, 9th overall, Winnipeg) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
Whomever drafts this kid is going to have a star by time he is 25.

That's my feeling. He will need to add some strength/muscle but that's his only downside. I wouldn't be surprised to see Halifax move him to center next season as they did with Drouhin. He has such a high hockey IQ that I think he'd make a great center
He passes very well on forehand or backhand.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
That's my feeling. He will need to add some strength/muscle but that's his only downside. I wouldn't be surprised to see Halifax move him to center next season as they did with Drouhin. He has such a high hockey IQ that I think he'd make a great center
He passes very well on forehand or backhand.

I think it would be the best for him. If he's able to do it, well that's even better for him... if not, simply move him back to the wing. It won't hurt him to try it out.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
I think it would be the best for him. If he's able to do it, well that's even better for him... if not, simply move him back to the wing. It won't hurt him to try it out.

When I saw him in Charlottetown he played right wing about as often as left wing so I suspect he'd be adept at any forward position.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
Who has the higher upside out of him and Nylander

I think Ehlers is more of a sure bet as he's playing in N. America on smaller ice and has adapted brilliantly. I like what I've seen of Nylander but he appears to have defensive shortcomings and he is criticized for trying to do it all himself (I'm not sure how much of the latter is true). Either could be a home run, though.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Ehlers is a popular player. Here's a DraftBuzz article published earlier just in case you missed it in the first thread.

Coming to NA and swapping Biel for Halifax was a no-brainer, although playing overseas is not as detrimental as some make it out to be. It is very easy for NHL teams to compare players side by side even if they are separated by water. Nikolaj Ehlers' fatal flaw is not coming over early enough. If you take a look at all of the top prospects who maintained or bettered their pre-draft year status outside of Reinhart and Ekblad IE Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, you will see that Nikolaj had just as a successful year as they did. Why is Nikolaj always fighting to make it to a top ten selection, and even ranked outside of it? The easy way out is to say size...

Nikolaj Ehlers' Fatal Flaw

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
I think Ehlers is more of a sure bet as he's playing in N. America on smaller ice and has adapted brilliantly. I like what I've seen of Nylander but he appears to have defensive shortcomings and he is criticized for trying to do it all himself (I'm not sure how much of the latter is true). Either could be a home run, though.

Nylander was born in Calgary and up until the 11/12 season he was playing in NA.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Thanks Anthony. I read it a few weeks ago. Great read. I wish the Lightning would draft him big time :bolts

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The most entertaining player in the draft to watch. He's got something special in him, that's for sure.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
Nylander was born in Calgary and up until the 11/12 season he was playing in NA.

Yes, I know. I lived in Calgary when Michael played for the Flames. I never saw William play in North America, hence I don't know how well his game suits the smaller ice and more physical style.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I think he's the wildcard for this draft. Meaning he could go as high as one, or slip to the lower part of the top 10.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Good article! I agree. Just imagine how many points he would have racked up this season if he had played in Halifax in 2012 as well.

Didn't his ppg avg go way up the last couple months of the season? Scouts have to love that, his stock is on the rise I'm certain.

Hard to imagine what kind if numbers he'd have if this were his 2nd chl season.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
After watching the MacKinnon/Drouin show in 2012/13 and the Drouin/Ehlers show last season, we feel pretty blessed down in here in lil ole Halifax.

Ehlers was noticeable right from tryouts and has not disappointed. He is faster than Drouin and very nearly as dynamic with his skating and puckhandling. He's like a cross of Drouin-light (puckhandling) and MacKinnon-light (speed).

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Hope Toronto can nab him at #8. If he can adjust/learn to play center next year in the Q (I've heard people discussing this as a possibility), that's just more gravy

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I am hoping Vancouver can get a 2nd top-10 pick in the draft and they can take Nylander and Ehlers.

Just so much talent between those 2.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
After watching the MacKinnon/Drouin show in 2012/13 and the Drouin/Ehlers show last season, we feel pretty blessed down in here in lil ole Halifax.

Ehlers was noticeable right from tryouts and has not disappointed. He is faster than Drouin and very nearly as dynamic with his skating and puckhandling. He's like a cross of Drouin-light (puckhandling) and MacKinnon-light (speed).

hey Mikey P, have appreciated your input on Ehlers, which NHL'rs would you use as a comparison? I'm thinking Bure-lite with better 2-way game, but not entirely happy with that comparo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad