LW Nicklas Jensen (2011, 29th, VAN)

Canuck71*

After seeing him play in a few games this year I have come away overly impressed with this guy. He's a big kid (6'3 190 lbs) skates very well for a player his size, uses his body to his advantage, has great scoring/playmaking attributes, and has been adapting quite well to the north american game. I have come away more impressed with Jensen than his teammate Boone Jenner who is also potential first rounder.

What are everyones opinions on him? Could he be another type of player that rises much like Johansen did last year? I've seen him ranked in the late first early second rounds so far but I see this guy as a sure fire top 15 prospect if he continues to improve, there just so much untapped potential there.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Big skilled winger. Another guy for my Avs to keep an eye on. :)

Very good looking player. As far as where he falls in the first round, he could very well be one of those guys that continues to rise into the top 10-15. At this point I think it's probably safe to say he is a first round lock though.

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
What are everyones opinions on him? Could he be another type of player that rises much like Johansen did last year? I've seen him ranked in the late first early second rounds so far but I see this guy as a sure fire top 15 prospect if he continues to improve, there just so much untapped potential there.

I don't think saying he's the next Johansen would be correct, that title is being grabbed by the balls by Ryan Strome at the moment.

There were a few people (myself included) who were high on Jensen coming into the year. I haven't been blown away by any sort of plus plus tool, but his overall skill set is definitely impressive.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
He might not be rated that highly in NA yet. But let me tell you this - Nicklas Jensen is the best Danish prospect ever. Above Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker. Hopefully he can follow through this season.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
I have seen almost all Oshawa games this year and I absolutely love Jensen. This guy uses his size well, skates well, and has some hands and nice finish to go with it. He is on most nights their best player along with Thomas

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How is his physical play, that is my question. We have all seen his hands and skating abilities, but does he use his big frame enough?

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
I liked Jenner's game a lot more than Jensen's last night, but Jensen's skating and physical component (a quick study a couple of months into jr play) will make him a more attractive projection to some. But I liked Jenner's play a lot. Not so impressed with Lessio last night.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He might not be rated that highly in NA yet. But let me tell you this - Nicklas Jensen is the best Danish prospect ever. Above Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker. Hopefully he can follow through this season.

No reason we can't have both and play them together!

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I liked Jenner's game a lot more than Jensen's last night, but Jensen's skating and physical component (a quick study a couple of months into jr play) will make him a more attractive projection to some. But I liked Jenner's play a lot. Not so impressed with Lessio last night.

It's been like that for me all year. Just love the all round game of Jenner with the jam he brings as well as hockey sense that is growing. I just think he will be a safe pick and his game will translate well to the pro level.
Jensen has been number two for me with his great skating,size and shot. He better be careful cutting back through the middle but he has been adjusting really well so far.
Lessio has been the least impressive of the three so far but it's early yet . Not running him down but just comparing the three. Lots of hockey yet.

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
Last time I watched Oshawa was versus Niagara (2 weekends ago) and I was very impressed with Lessio. His frame is pretty good already for a 17 YO, he moves very well, maybe even at a plus level and he was able to generate a few chances.

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Nicklas Jensen

Nicklas Jensen is looking to continue his 7 game goal-streak (10g 4a) tonight.

If he can continue this play he could definitely be a riser in the draft. Where do you think he goes in the draft?

I would be great with insights from people who have seen him play in Oshawa recently.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I would love to hear more too.

This kid is considered to be the best Dane to come along - like ever.

It shouldn't be too much of leap to think he'll be Slovakia for the WC, CHL schedule granting.

Canuck71*

I don't see why he can't be a huge riser much like Ryan Johansen was last year. He is the most intriguing player in the draft in my opinion with his size, speed, vision and all around skill set. He has so much potential and out of most draft eligible players I've seen this year from the OHL he has been one of the most impressive. It's quite the prediction, but I could definitely see a team taking a shot at him in the top 10. He has monster potential and with the right development he could turn into a helluva player.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't see why he can't be a huge riser much like Ryan Johansen was last year. He is the most intriguing player in the draft in my opinion with his size, speed, vision and all around skill set. He has so much potential and out of most draft eligible players I've seen this year from the OHL he has been one of the most impressive. It's quite the prediction, but I could definitely see a team taking a shot at him in the top 10. He has monster potential and with the right development he could turn into a helluva player.

That team might be Ottawa, eh?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
One of the Sens insider on these boards (backdoorpass) said that the Sens are really interested in this guy but I don't think they would take him with their high pick. Maybe late 1st if they can get another pick or early 2nd

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Jensen got his 7 game goal and point-streak broken friday night, but bounced back with 1 G 4 A saturday against Ottawa.

He now has 16 p in his last 6 games.

Comments from people that saw the games are much appreciated!

Last edited:

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
It's just such a shame that teams would not just look at a 6 game streak or two to decide which players to draft high.

Actually "streaky" is not a word you tend to use as a positive notion when it comes to prospects.

Let's see how it goes for the rest of the season before we actually pick him in top-10 for the clubs.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's just such a shame that teams would not just look at a 6 game streak or two to decide which players to draft high.

Actually "streaky" is not a word you tend to use as a positive notion when it comes to prospects.

Let's see how it goes for the rest of the season before we actually pick him in top-10 for the clubs.

The thing about Nicklas now is this:
- He began the season at about a PPG pace, but has been on this streak of sorts lately. Of course he's likely still not seen as a top 10 talent, but this streak may end up being more about having gotten over the transitional phase and having found a comfort zone.

There's plenty of hockey to play before the draft (thank goodness!), but it'll be interesting to see if we're currently witnessing the 'real' Jensen who has arrived or just his group of highlight games in this season. I think we're seeing the guy he can be on a consistant basis.

Last edited:

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
The thing about Niklas now is this:
- He began the season at about a PPG pace, but is now on this streak. Of course he's likely still not seen as a top 10 talent, but this may not just be a streak - instead it may be that he, as a European kid who needed the adjustment phase to get used to his surroundings and the level of play in Canada - has finally got it all down pat and has found himself.

Of course, there's plenty of hockey to play before the draft (thank goodness!).

It's not unusual that European players pick up their game after the WC. The exact same thing happened to Mikkel Boedker - he was on a high after the WC and exploded in the playoffs.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If he continues or builds on this going forward, he will most assuredly vault into top 15 status, and perhaps even top 10. He has always been an intriguing package, and now that he is producing at a more substantial clip, he will be looked at very closely.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Lets just say he is something special.

He has good size, speed and great shot.
Maybe because i see the 2 a lot; but he really reminds me of kulemin.
Has all the tools to be a flashy goal score, the size to be a big hitter; but flies under the radar (and still gets the job done)

I think his biggest flaw (if you can say that) it seems he hasnt completely settled into OHL yet. Which is scary as to what he can do. Same can be said about Lessio; i dont think we have fully tapped into their potential.....As a Gens fan im really excited to see what they can do next year. (so whoever drafts them, dont keep em up!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad