LW Nathan Walker (2014, 89th overall, Washington)

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
As an Aussie hockey fan, I've often wondered whether I'll ever see an Australian put on an NHL jersey. This kid is the closest thing to a legit NHL prospect I've seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Walker

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=101430

Does he stand a chance of making the NHL? I know he's pretty small, but he plays with some grit.

He was voted Australia's best player (voted by coaches) at the 2011 Division II Championships (which Australia won, going 5-0), he was tied 3rd in the tournament in points and led in +/-.

He finished 18th in scoring in the Czech U20 league, but it seems like most players are 91s or 92 births, while he is a 94 birth. 20 + 20 in 35 games.

Obviously, how he plays this coming season will greatly affect his chances.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ocarina

May 23, 2009
I assume he's staying in Vitkovice's system? If he can't make the senior squad, would he consider going to North America? He seems to have talent.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Hes probably worth a late round pick based on marketing alone. The team would instantly get a few million more fans. Aussies love their sport.
Hes small though, which is a shame.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm positive Australia will get an NHL player eventually but I'm not sure if it'll be Walker to even get drafted. He keeps it up he should get drafted though, would he come to the CHL if drafted in the import draft?

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
I'm positive Australia will get an NHL player eventually but I'm not sure if it'll be Walker to even get drafted. He keeps it up he should get drafted though, would he come to the CHL if drafted in the import draft?

I've been trying to find more information about him, but I couldn't tell you about his thoughts on the CHL. I'm trying to find out more about him for a while now.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I see he has 2 points in 5 games for HC Vitkovice so far this season.

Anyone seen this guy play?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I think he should get to the draft. If he was Czech, he would be still one of the best players of his year of birth, which means he's likely worth a pick.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Nathan Walker - HC Vitkovice - 2012 Eligible

Nathan Walker is currently playing on the senior Vitkovice team, where he has so far played 7 games and has 2 points (1+1). He also has played 10 games for the U20 team, with 18 points (12+6).

What makes him interesting is that he's Australian. In fact he's the first Australian to play pro hockey in Europe. Walker has been in the Czech Republic for the last 5 years now playing in Vitkovice's system, and his numbers look alright from what I can tell. He made his international debut this past spring when he joined the Australian senior team at the Division II championships; he recorded 6 points (4+2) in 4 games and was named the best player on the team as the Aussies were promoted to Division I again. It seems likely that he will be with the team again in 2012, as he is probably the best player to come out of Australia, as funny as that sounds.

Has anybody seen him play, and if so, is he good enough for a team to risk a late round draft pick on him, even for the novelty of drafting an Australian?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
So any updates on this kid?

I have to say that his story so far is truly remarkable, if he some day makes the NHL it would basically be the kind of story that movies are made about.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
So any updates on this kid?

I have to say that his story so far is truly remarkable, if he some day makes the NHL it would basically be the kind of story that movies are made about.

http://czechhockeyreport.blogspot.com/2011/10/australian-makes-history-in-extraliga.html

I'm really rooting for this kid. He put up 18pts (12g, 6a) in the Under 20's (at age 17), and has now put up 3 + 1 in 13 games for HC Vitkovice in the Extraliga. Hopefully he has a strong year, and an NHL team takes a chance on him at the draft.

Drunkspleen

Face of the company
Jun 22, 2009
Bear Country
Central Scouting released their preliminary rankings today. Walker is listed as the 6th best draft-eligible player in the Czech Republic. Good to see that he is at least on the radar of NHL scouts.

Central Scouting rankings for the Czech Republic

That is certainly promising.

I wish there was some sort of even rough early ranking of all European skaters but I guess that will have to wait for now.

Great that he is getting time up in the mens Czech league, I know before the season he said that was his goal for this year.

BigBlue11

Sep 10, 2010
Anyone know why he chose to go to the Czech Republic to find competative hockey.
Did he have the option of going to the US or Canada where he may have been more comfortable because of the language barrier and probably would've been in an at least equal if not better developement system?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Anyone know why he chose to go to the Czech Republic to find competative hockey.
Did he have the option of going to the US or Canada where he may have been more comfortable because of the language barrier and probably would've been in an at least equal if not better developement system?

It was because of his coach in Australia (Czech person working there), who gave him the opportunity.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I noticed that Vitkovice will be at the Spengler Cup this year. I would think Walker might be with the team there, so people in Canada should be able to watch him play when they play Canada. Game is at 1.00pm EST on Dec. 26 on TSN2. Then there could be more games with them depending on how Vitkovice does in the tournament.

Last edited:

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I noticed that Vitkovice will be at the Spengler Cup this year. I would think Walker might be with the team there, so people in Canada should be able to watch him play when they play Canada. Game is at 1.00pm EST on Dec. 26 on TSN2. Then there could be more games with them depending on how Vitkovice does in the tournament.

Walker scored the only goal for Vitkovice in a 7-1 drubbing against Canada. Got Vitkovice player of the game too. :handclap:

Think they said Vitkovice is playing again on TSN tomorrow.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Walker scored the only goal for Vitkovice in a 7-1 drubbing against Canada. Got Vitkovice player of the game too. :handclap:

Think they said Vitkovice is playing again on TSN tomorrow.

Yes, the loser of todays game was to be on the main TSN channel tomorrow against Davos. Good to see Walker score against Canada, that should mean something to somebody in regards to his future.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Question for everyone

Does he count as Australian-trained? Wikipedia says he moved to the Czech republic when he was 13.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
Any chance he plays for the Czechs at the international level ?

I don't know what the rules for international play are. He's played for Australia, but I guess if he lives in Czech and has a passport, he may be able to play for them.

Awesome that he scored, am looking forward to watching some more Spengler Cup games and getting a better look at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad