LW Michael O'Leary - Hartford Wolf Pack, AHL (2016 undrafted)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Leading scorer for his school in the US. Played for Canada at the U17s and was solid in the camp but only one point in the whole tournament.

I think he's a name that could drop if he continues playing in the USHS, I like his game. Big, strong and a goal scorer. He's already leading his team in scoring and has the highest PPG on the team but for his draft year does he stay there or go to the QMJHL Cape Breton or the USHL.

gumby and pokey

Nov 20, 2013
PEI/PQ
committed to Cornell, finish HS/play season of Junior/play 4 years NCAA, = pro prospect.
sounds like an intelligent plan he has in front of him.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Leading scorer for his school in the US. Played for Canada at the U17s and was solid in the camp but only one point in the whole tournament.

I think he's a name that could drop if he continues playing in the USHS, I like his game. Big, strong and a goal scorer. He's already leading his team in scoring and has the highest PPG on the team but for his draft year does he stay there or go to the QMJHL Cape Breton or the USHL.

i can not see him coming to the QMJHL his father plus the kid are BIG into school, his father is NCAA 100%, unless something changes big time I think he stays USA.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Re-drafted in the Q by Moncton in the 3rd round. I think it is still unlikely he reports but he has told the team he is willing to listen to what they have to offer. Anyone seen him play and can give some insight?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Re-drafted in the Q by Moncton in the 3rd round. I think it is still unlikely he reports but he has told the team he is willing to listen to what they have to offer. Anyone seen him play and can give some insight?

Apparently his family is from Moncton which gives them a little leverage, however like it has been said this guy and his family have been NCAA bound for a long time. I have a tough time seeing him in the Q next year, if ever.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

From last year's U17 camp, where he looked like one of the better players.

O'Leary is a big bodied forward who showed a pro demeanor of understanding role and how to utilize his skill to complement his linemates in a precise manner. More interesting than scoring 5 in 3, is in the way he got those points. Not a first liner by skill alone, O'Leary showed uncanny smarts to figure out how to game with guys like Jost and Kaspick. He buried the chances he was afforded when they sprung loose. He has an innate ability to read the flow of the play and position himself for opportunity be it a deflection, close range chance, etc.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Apparently his family is from Moncton which gives them a little leverage, however like it has been said this guy and his family have been NCAA bound for a long time. I have a tough time seeing him in the Q next year, if ever.

Yeah, I think family will have little to do with his decision, I mean he has played in Connecticut the last two years and seems set to play in Iowa this year. Moncton will likely have to wow him with regard to what they can offer educationally for him to commit to the team.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He is coming to Moncton's camp. May only be for 48 hours, but it's a step in the right direction for the Wildcats.

Would be a big addition for the Cats.

After I heard he was at VRED prospect camp this summer with numerous other Widcats players I figured there was more to it than just a throwaway pick at the draft.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Would be a big addition for the Cats.

After I heard he was at VRED prospect camp this summer with numerous other Widcats players I figured there was more to it than just a throwaway pick at the draft.

I was a little leery of the Wildcats picking him so high in the draft but if they get him to show up to camp then that will definitely make me feel better about the pick. He seemed genuinely torn between CB and college so him coming to camp at all seems like a good sign. Having him be around the Cats staff and some players/prospects for the week probably gave him a little interest to see what camp would be like.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

He's a big center who has a lot of upside, he went from being 3rd line center on a loaded team as a sophomore to being one of 'the guys' at Salisbury and helped them win their third straight championship this year. He plays with an edge and has a lot of the earmarks of athleticism and the room for potential in his skating to be a good middle six center in the pro ranks some day. Like everyone else it's going to matter how well he does in his draft year, if he continues to be an offensive contributor as he goes up the levels, how hard he works, etc.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
For the record, he is not on the Cat's camp roster so it looks like he will be headed the NCAA route.

Definitely disappointing but their training camp roster from Friday is already out of date. Moncton signed Maine commit and essentially a Moncton local, Ethan Crossman today.

Anyone know when Dubuque camp starts? All the best to O'Leary in Dubuque this year.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
11 pts in 4 games so far
Note to mod please update because he is at Notre Dame now for a few years. He's going to be a big part of their team, they don't have a ton of offensive guys but he scores goals all kinds of ways and fits their system extremely well. Still unsure how well his game will translate to pro hockey but he can carve out a role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad