LW Michael Ferland (2010, 133rd overall, Calgary)

Beerfest*

Anyone following the Brandon closely?

In 17 games, Ferland has 15 goals and 14 assists.

Can anyone tell me what situations he's being used in? What's his speed like?

Thanks

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
He's now on the top line with Walker and Stone, and on the 1st PP unit. He's a prototypical power forward, with above average speed and a great set of hands. And he's an intimidator, no one will fight him this year. He stands in front of the net on the PP to great effect. He can be a little lazy back checking, and sometimes stick handle too much. But he's a force. Reminds me of a Cam Neely/Milan Lucic type....

Beerfest*

He's now on the top line with Walker and Stone, and on the 1st PP unit. He's a prototypical power forward, with above average speed and a great set of hands. And he's an intimidator, no one will fight him this year. He stands in front of the net on the PP to great effect. He can be a little lazy back checking, and sometimes stick handle too much. But he's a force. Reminds me of a Cam Neely/Milan Lucic type....

Thanks for the response.
Yea, hes penalty minutes seem to be down a bit this year, which doesnt seem to be a bad thing because he's putting up better offensive numbers.

*Theres a typo in the OP, the word "the" before Brandon is not supposed to be there*

Beerfest*

Two more assists tonight.

15 goals, 16 assists in 18 games.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Is he 19 or an overager? Trying to figure out if his dominance is due to this + physically being bigger than the rest of the juniors or if he really is top six power forward potential.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Is he 19 or an overager? Trying to figure out if his dominance is due to this + physically being bigger than the rest of the juniors or if he really is top six power forward potential.

He is 19. We can expect him to jump to the pro ranks next year in Abbotsford.

As for potential, I really have no idea.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He is 19. We can expect him to jump to the pro ranks next year in Abbotsford.

As for potential, I really have no idea.

He was only a 5th rounder in 2010, but he looks like he could develop into something decent. Still too early to tell.

Despite not having a 1st and 2nd rounder the Flames, at least from an early assessment, did extremely well that draft.

Reinhart in the 3rd, Arnold in the 4th, Ferland in the 5th and Holland in the 7th all look like great picks. The other 2 picks - Leach and Ramage look decent too.

It would be ironic if Sutter's last draft yielded a bonanza.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
He was only a 5th rounder in 2010, but he looks like he could develop into something decent. Still too early to tell.

Despite not having a 1st and 2nd rounder the Flames, at least from an early assessment, did extremely well that draft.

Reinhart in the 3rd, Arnold in the 4th, Ferland in the 5th and Holland in the 7th all look like great picks. The other 2 picks - Leach and Ramage look decent too.

It would be ironic if Sutter's last draft yielded a bonanza.

Arnold leads B.C. in scoring followed by Johnny Geadreau(another flames prospect), Ferland is 4th in WHL scoring, Reinhart leads the Ice in scoring by 7 points and is followed by Joey Leach. Holland had a great prospect camp, and finally Ramage was captain of the Us WJ team.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Bumping for opinions from people who have watched him.
Still a great stat line, 26gp 15g 24a 39pts
Are his points just a product of Stone? or does he have legitimate offensive upside?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Bumping for opinions from people who have watched him.
Still a great stat line, 26gp 15g 24a 39pts
Are his points just a product of Stone? or does he have legitimate offensive upside?

He looked good in the Subway Series, but that's all I've seen of him so far. No doubt he's benefitting from Stone, but I think he'd be holding his own with different linemates as well.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He has legitimate offensive upside, but he is clearly being helped alot by Stone.

I think his offense will be limited at the next level, but he could definitely be a 40ish point top 9 guy if things go well with him going forward.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He is a great story as well

When he was 16 he made the Brandon AAA Wheat Kings but he could not afford to play because his mom is a single mother. The players really wanted him on the team and they talked with their parents who got together and paid for him that year.

He had a great year there and was listed by Brandon because of it

Now he is one of the best players in the league and one of the scariest guys to play against.

Tont

May 4, 2006
That is a great story Joe, I'm rooting for this kid big time, and not just because he's a Flames prospect. He just seems to really love playing hockey.

Medium Rare*

He is a great story as well

When he was 16 he made the Brandon AAA Wheat Kings but he could not afford to play because his mom is a single mother. The players really wanted him on the team and they talked with their parents who got together and paid for him that year.

He had a great year there and was listed by Brandon because of it

Now he is one of the best players in the league and one of the scariest guys to play against.
I was talking to a guy from Brandon and he said he was a Wheaties season ticket holder and I asked how Ferland was looking and he went on about how the kid is the fan favorite too and just loved in the city.

Beerfest*

He had 4 goals and an assist tonight.

57 games played - 40 goals, 43 assists, 83 points.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
hockey canada has Ferland down as a 93 birth but other sites he is a 92,
which is is|? anyone know.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really impressed with the strides he's taken in regards to trying to elevate his game each and every time out. Was a big question mark for me on him in the past.

OlWpgJet

Oct 27, 2002
Visit site
Walker,Stone ,Ferland line is really nice to watch these days, I wouldn't put it all on Stone. They seem to be all making nice plays and benefiting from each other. Ferland seems to have a nose for the net , good shot, and very good eye-hand coordination and is very strong and tough in front of the net. I don't think he is top 6 material yet but don't think NHL is out of the question.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Anyone following the Brandon closely?

In 17 games, Ferland has 15 goals and 14 assists.

Can anyone tell me what situations he's being used in? What's his speed like?

Thanks

The best way to describe Mike Ferland is big, nasty and very talented. Ferland is realizing this year that he is a major talent and doesn’t have to fight everyone to add to a team and is too valuable to sit in the penalty box. The fact that he has beaten the hell out of everyone in the WHL has cut down on the number of fights he has had this year.

He is playing on a line with Brendan Walker who he has played allot with since going the Wheat Kings and has good chemistry with. Mark Stone is the 3rd member of the line and they have been if not the best line in the WHL one of the best anyway. There cycle game is so impressive.

When he drives to the net and drops a shoulder there is not a d-man in the WHL that can stop him because he is so big and strong along with a good skater. He has great hands and if his defensive game catches up next year in the AHL look out.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
How is his skating? Is it just 'alright' or is it one of Ferland's assets? The comments in this thread make Ferland seem like a nasty version of fellow Flames prospect Greg Nemisz. Nemisz didn't have the greatest footspeed coming out of junior, though he has gotten better since. If this isn't an issue with Ferland, then the Flames may have an effective power forward coming up in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad