LW Maxim Lazarev - Torpedo Nizhniy Novgorod, KHL (2014 undrafted)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Maxim Lazarev
1996-01-29
Position: LW
Kazan, Russia
Ht: 5'10 Wt: 160lbs
Shoots: R

He was drafted 3rd overall by the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in the 2013 CHL import draft. I've heard very mixed reviews on the kid. I've heard that he's a potential 1st round/early 2nd round pick that has a lot of offensive upside and then I've heard nothing but bad things about him out of the Ivan Hlinka, that he was a perimeter player who watched the game more than he got involved and his stats are apparently misleading.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on the kid, as someone in the QMJHL area I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the coming season. Hoping for the best obviously but more so because he's going to Cape Breton and they've had a lot of misfortune in the last 3-4 years, it's nice to see they managed to attract a kid with potential.

Last edited:

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
Yes. I think he only played one pre-season game, and it was on the road, so I stilll haven't seen him play yet. I'm unsure what the injury is but I've been told he's out for at least another week.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Not playing tonight, but he took the warmup. Hopefully he'll be back Sunday.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
He's gonna play tomorrow night against Sherbrooke!:handclap:

Last edited:

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
His defensive game has improved a ton and he is now getting PK time. Just scored his 2nd hat trick of the season. 61 points with 27 goals in 52 games now.

Edit: just scored his 4th of the game

Last edited:

CoveySteele

Dec 12, 2012
Cape Breton Island
For a team with winger prospect deficit, drafting both Svechnikov and Lazarev could be a very elegant solution.

He could be one of the best late round picks a team can make this season. Really impressed with his game. Went to Eagles games to watch Svechnikov and often was blown away by Lazarev's overall play.

Effortlessly enters the zone, controls on the half wall, is elusive and makes crisp passes. Even has a one timer which isn't terrible. Seems like a great kid to spend a 5-7th round pick on.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Was supposed he wasn't drated last year.

Too many injuries in his draft year + adapting to the North American game, he was much improved this year and played the entire season and only missed like 3-4 games.

He should go in the 5th-6th round this year I'd imagine.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Another very productive season from Lazarev. 11th in QMJHL scoring with 36 points in 24 games. Wonder if some team will be willing to use a late pick on him this year...There's definitely worse selections you could make.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Lazarev is having a good WJC and is good in QMJHL so far, is he going to be drafted this year finally?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lazarev is having a good WJC and is good in QMJHL so far, is he going to be drafted this year finally?

I really hope so. He definitely deserves it. Such a talented player. At times I thought he looked better than Svechnikov last year. I definitely don't think Svechnikov would've been as productive as he was if he didn't have Lazarev next to him. Pretty surprising that of all the scouts that watched Svechnikov, no one was willing to recommend Lazarev to their GM.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he was Canadian, he probably would've been drafted in his first draft-eligible year. If not then, almost certainly the second draft eligible year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad