LW Max Jones - London Knights, OHL (2016, 24th, ANA)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Max is a good prospect but lets chill with the threads hoc123.....We might as well make one for everyprospect rated in the first three rounds, theres google for a reason. :help:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched him on the NHL Network during the American Top Prospects Game and came away impressed. He skates well, likes to try and create offence and isn't afraid to throw his weight around.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Watched him on the NHL Network during the American Top Prospects Game and came away impressed. He skates well, likes to try and create offence and isn't afraid to throw his weight around.
Are you thinking of Caleb Jones?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Max is a good prospect but lets chill with the threads hoc123.....We might as well make one for everyprospect rated in the first three rounds, theres google for a reason. :help:

Usually I'd agree with ya but in Max's case he is one of the top American prospects in his birthyear and it's becoming very clear he's a guy who will be talked about on here for a while to come. He's our #2 uncommitted prospect in North America for what it's worth and here's our report on him:

Jones, a 1st-round selection by the OHL’s London Knights last spring, is a well-framed forward who plays the game with a tenacious edge. Plays extremely hard, and that relentless play makes him that much more dangerous when it is combined with his wicked shot and strong skating ability. He projects extremely well for the college game with an undeniable offensive upside, though he projects even better for the professional game, as he is sizable, powerful and tough to play against. In short, a force. Jones has visited top NCAA powers but is such a top-end talent that the OHL will never be out of the picture for the brother of Plymouth defenseman Mitch Jones. If he continues to project as well as he does now, an NHL team may spend a top pick in 2016 to get him in the line-up as soon as possible. - Select 70, October 2014.

He's probably going to be a first rounder if not in the top half by 2016. A power forward with relentless puck pursuit traits, physicality, offensive tools..

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Kid almost got 200 PIMS, playing against older competition seems he doesn't back down from big boys. Are most of his PIMS from stupid penalties or does he have a real nasty side like a Kieth Tkachuk?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Kid almost got 200 PIMS, playing against older competition seems he doesn't back down from big boys. Are most of his PIMS from stupid penalties or does he have a real nasty side like a Kieth Tkachuk?

Just plays a hard game. I'll say a few times this year he has lost his cool and took a few dumb penalties, he can be a hot head but not like Domi was. But he's just a nasty kid to play against, his game is just built for the OHL. He's quick, and has a great shot. I think he had the best shot out of the forwards on the U17 squad this year. London fans will really like him, he will give opposing D men fits with his forecheck and relentless puck pursuit.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Look forward to seeing him play with the Knights next season.

For anoyone whose seen him, how does he compare to Lawson Crouse?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Look forward to seeing him play with the Knights next season.

For anoyone whose seen him, how does he compare to Lawson Crouse?

I haven't seen much of Crouse and I've only seen Jones play in about a few games so far, but to me I'd say Toffoli might be an interesting starter comparison. Great size and speed.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Much more dynamic offensively than Crouse, in my opinion. In the 2 games so far he has used his speed to separate himself from defensemen and create chances. Just hasn't converted as of yet.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Actually this was a post from a year in the future, and it's pretty spot-on. :)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I see this kid is pointless in his first 3 OHL games.

How has he looked?

Much better than someone who is pointless IMO.

Has dominated a few shifts that I've seen, using his size to protect the puck along the wall and extend the play in the offensive end. Also been very impressed with his hands and speed and ability to make playoffs off the rush. He literally just hasn't converted any of his chances yet. He's also playing physical and laying the body hard on the forecheck.

I will say that he's got to find a way to the net more though. Matthew Tkachuk has definitely impressed more as a "net presence." I think that does help to explain his inability to find the score sheet thus far.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ranked #3 by ISS
Ranked #47 by Button

This will be an interesting storyline.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I haven't seen much of Crouse and I've only seen Jones play in about a few games so far, but to me I'd say Toffoli might be an interesting starter comparison. Great size and speed.

Not jumping on you but I literally spit out my coffee when I saw that haha Toffoli is one of the more odd comparison's for Jones that I could ever think of. Like, he would be one of the last players in the NHL I'd compare Jones too.

Mar 12, 2009
Not jumping on you but I literally spit out my coffee when I saw that haha Toffoli is one of the more odd comparison's for Jones that I could ever think of. Like, he would be one of the last players in the NHL I'd compare Jones too.

Ya, Jones game in the OHL is significantly different than Toffoli's was from what I recall.

Count me as another who thinks his play has been better than his number's suggest so far. He has a really good skill set. Good hands, hard shot, good speed, physical, strong, good size, puck protection etc. Seems a bit raw at times, still trying to figure out how to put things together and determine when to do certain things. Not a natural playmaker from what I saw, but not a bad passer either.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
When I saw him play this weekend I thought he was a good skater and had great hands, could make solid plays as well.

But he will have to produce more. Skillset is there. Quality of teammates is there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad