LW Matias Maccelli - Ilves, Liiga (2019, 98th, ARI)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He was one of the standouts in that game, I thought. And it's not only stickhandling, he had some very nifty and creative passes as well, and did manage to have a positive impact overall.

Also, the fact that he's a late birthday + a 2019 pick also shows favorably for him. There's plenty of time for him to improve his stock.

Though I have to say, even though he got an assist on the play, that wasn't even close to his most impressive showing of stickhandling that game.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He was one of the standouts in that game, I thought. And it's not only stickhandling, he had some very nifty and creative passes as well, and did manage to have a positive impact overall.

Also, the fact that he's a late birthday + a 2019 pick also shows favorably for him. There's plenty of time for him to improve his stock.

Though I have to say, even though he got an assist on the play, that wasn't even close to his most impressive showing of stickhandling that game.

Yep. Couldn't remember when those happened :laugh:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Looks like Maccelli is following in the footsteps of Tolvanen and a large number of young Finns and heading to the USHL - to the Dubuque Fighting Saints. Dubuque already has Santeri Virtanen on their roster as well. He sounds a bit like a smaller-framed Borgstrom from the notes above. I'm sure he's being recruited by all the top NCAA programs.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Maccelli is having a great draft season in USHL, now fourth in scoring and second of draft aged after Bobby Brink.

I'm really disappointed that Finnish U20 coach Jussi Ahokas didn't invite Maccelli even to the training camp.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
No other player on his team is even at a point per game. Any idea what his plans for next year are?
I guess NCAA. But if he goes early in the draft so maybe he goes to AHL.

Matias Maccelli has done nothing but score the last two months. Since November 3rd, Maccelli has tallied at least a point in every single Fighting Saints game. With points in 15 straight, Maccelli has the longest point streak in the USHL this season. His 15 games are also second for the Saints since they returned to Dubuque in 2011-11.

Saints Welcome Gamblers and Phantoms to End 2018

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
4th in USHL scoring. Why is he projected to be a 3rd round pick? Has anyone seen him play? Are there some glaring flaws in his game?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
4th in USHL scoring. Why is he projected to be a 3rd round pick? Has anyone seen him play? Are there some glaring flaws in his game?
Compete level and defensive game, also seems to overcomplicate things / might not have great hockey IQ, not very good physically and also pretty selfish with the puck.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Defensive game and play without the puck. He can be a cherry picker. I don't share the concerns about his hockey IQ. Offensively speaking he knows what he's doing, and I haven't seen any ''spurious'' plays yet (that being said I haven't seen every game he's played). Offensively speaking he deserves consideration in the late first, early 2nd. In terms of the whole package, though? Ehhhhh not so sure. I'd feel a lot more confident about ranking him if I had a chance to interview him or a former coach of his.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Defensive game and play without the puck. He can be a cherry picker. I don't share the concerns about his hockey IQ. Offensively speaking he knows what he's doing, and I haven't seen any ''spurious'' plays yet (that being said I haven't seen every game he's played). Offensively speaking he deserves consideration in the late first, early 2nd. In terms of the whole package, though? Ehhhhh not so sure. I'd feel a lot more confident about ranking him if I had a chance to interview him or a former coach of his.
https://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattelu/18-vuotias-Matias-Maccelli-pelaa-todellista-tykkikautta-USHLssä-−-Hän-pystyy-muuttamaan-ottelun-kulun-millä-hetkellä-hyvänsä/208804

Here is some words about him from his current coach (in Finnish). "It's easy to work with him and he is a good teammate".

Maccelli admits that defensive game is his biggest weakness and he needs to work on it.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad