LW Kirill Maksimov - Barys, KHL (2017, 146th, EDM released)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'm a fan. Have him ranked 25th among OHL players for this draft (puts him around the 3rd round mark).

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2017_15.html

Here's what I said:
What a difference a change of scenery can make. With Saginaw, the formerly highly touted OHL draft prospect was floundering and looked like a long shot to hear his name called in June (6 goals in 37 games). But a midseason deal to Niagara completely changed his fortunes and brought out the best in Maksimov. Including the playoffs (where he had 4 goals in 4 games), Maksimov had 19 goals in 33 games. Pro-rate that production and you've got a 6'2, speedy winger with 35+ goals on the season. That would put him right up there with the production of others in this draft class receiving first round consideration. Not saying that Maksimov deserves first round consideration. But with the way he finished the year and with his strong performance at the U18's, I think he deserves to be selected in the first three rounds. His potential is sky high. Consistency has always been the issue with him, but the light bulb really did seem to go off in Niagara. Finally saw him using his size to drive the net, with and without the puck, where he could use his great hands and great release to be a consistent goal scorer. We also finally saw him using his speed in puck pursuit and to be a major factor on the forecheck. This was something that was very evident at the U18's. His skill level and goal scoring potential is through the roof, so if he's finally put it all together, he could look like an eventual steal for whatever team drafts him. A true draft wild card.

Essentially, this is a guy with very high upside in a draft that lacks a ton of high upside offensive players. If I'm a team with a lot of picks in the first three rounds, I swing for the fences and take him in hopes that his explosion in Niagara was no fluke. The IceDogs are one of the best young teams in the league and he's going to be a major factor in their continuing rebuild. Honestly, this guy could be top 5 in goals scored by his 19 year old season in the league.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a fan. Have him ranked 25th among OHL players for this draft (puts him around the 3rd round mark).

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2017_15.html

Here's what I said:

Essentially, this is a guy with very high upside in a draft that lacks a ton of high upside offensive players. If I'm a team with a lot of picks in the first three rounds, I swing for the fences and take him in hopes that his explosion in Niagara was no fluke. The IceDogs are one of the best young teams in the league and he's going to be a major factor in their continuing rebuild. Honestly, this guy could be top 5 in goals scored by his 19 year old season in the league.

Thanks a lot for the info, appreciate it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nice YoungStars tournament for Maksimov. Rough first period of the first game but was very good after that. Interested to see him in a preseason game or two.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He'll need some time to develop, but it's hard not to like his skillset. Especially for a team starved for right-handed goalscorers. Probably 3-4 years out though at minimum.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
he was a great pick for where he was taken and out shone Ostap Safin at the Young Stars tourney.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This guy was a great gamble with a 5th round pick. Obviously he has a long way to go to become an NHLer, but I love that Edmonton went with a skilled guy who can skate and shoot the puck, and especially a guy who isn't afraid to shoot a lot. 10 shots last game and a stat line of 13GP-7G-7A-14P 67SOG. Definitely a player to watch going forward. Also a RH shot with some size to boot.

Any idea on his chances of getting a look for the U20 Russia team?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not great, his position is very deep for this generation.

Doesn't bode well that he wasn't chosen to participate in Russia vs Canada super series.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not great, his position is very deep for this generation.

Doesn't bode well that he wasn't chosen to participate in Russia vs Canada super series.
Appreciate the response, hadn't realize he wasn't picked for that. Maybe next year then. I'm interested to see how his season plays out though. He looked great in the rookie tournament for Edmonton.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kid loves to shoot the puck, if he develops he could be a 20-30 goal scorer in the NHL one day.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
28 goals this year but only 1 multi-goal game. Consistent.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Edmonton gets really, really lucky, we have a baby James Neal in the works here. Really like his tools, has a lethal shot that he loves to use, and has a nasty streak a mile wide.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

deckie007

Dec 28, 2014
Edmonton needs a low pick to pan out big. They don't have much in terms of skill in the system.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He looks like the real deal. Curious to see if he can take another step next year and be really dominant in the OHL (and WJC).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad