LW Kirill Maksimov - Barys, KHL (2017, 146th, EDM released)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
His play and decision making in the neutral zone continue to be an issue at times. He can be a very frustrating player to watch because of this. Turnovers are a problem. It will be the biggest stumbling block for him as he turns pro next year. Sometimes the simple play,; the simple dump is the necessary play, instead of trying to force a pass or dangle through multiple defenders.

But his size and goal scoring ability are big time assets and I do continue to be a fan.
The turnover issues should be alleviated when he has McDavid, Drain, or Nuge carrying the puck up the ice for him.

I'm very excited about this guy. Hopefully he can make the big squad after 1 year on the farm.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The turnover issues should be alleviated when he has McDavid, Drain, or Nuge carrying the puck up the ice for him.

I'm very excited about this guy. Hopefully he can make the big squad after 1 year on the farm.

Will it? Tough to say.

I'm a fan. You can go back to my original draft ranking from a few years ago to see that. So let me say that first, and foremost.

But he has not been playing very good hockey the last few months. Undisciplined penalties have been a huge problem now, on top of the turnovers. Just overall sloppy play and the type of mistakes that will get him in the doghouse at the next level. His play in the neutral zone has been an issue since he was drafted and I don't think it has improved.

He's a solid prospect, but a slam dunk he is not. For his strengths (size, power, shot), there are still quite a few warts that will need major work as he transitions to the pro game next year.

Reactions: 780il

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Will it? Tough to say.

I'm a fan. You can go back to my original draft ranking from a few years ago to see that. So let me say that first, and foremost.

But he has not been playing very good hockey the last few months. Undisciplined penalties have been a huge problem now, on top of the turnovers. Just overall sloppy play and the type of mistakes that will get him in the doghouse at the next level. His play in the neutral zone has been an issue since he was drafted and I don't think it has improved.

He's a solid prospect, but a slam dunk he is not. For his strengths (size, power, shot), there are still quite a few warts that will need major work as he transitions to the pro game next year.

Agree with all of your points. That said, for a 5th round pick, he looks like a major steal on upside alone. Definitely needs some tough love coaching but his projection of a top 6 winger is exciting for a franchise that has not been able to develop wingers.

Reactions: 780il

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Will it? Tough to say.

The Oilers have a horrible history with russians so the kid already has that against him, he's going to have a super short leash here in Edmonton. So if he doesnt change that part of his game I dont see any way he is going to make it on the Oilers (the way management currently is, a new GM and coach might change things here ... but I doubt it)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers have a horrible history with russians so the kid already has that against him, he's going to have a super short leash here in Edmonton. So if he doesnt change that part of his game I dont see any way he is going to make it on the Oilers (the way management currently is, a new GM and coach might change things here ... but I doubt it)

The benefit with Maksimov is he’s been in Canada since he was 13 or so. He doesn’t have to adjust to a new game or a new language - if you’ve heard him talk, he sounds like he could be from Lethbridge.

He’ll be a nice addition to the Condors next year.

Reactions: A91

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Will it? Tough to say.

Does it come across to you as being bored at the CHL level at this point or him just being stubborn and not learning and working on his weaknesses?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Does it come across to you as being bored at the CHL level at this point or him just being stubborn and not learning and working on his weaknesses?

If it's boredom, than that is a bigger problem IMO. Not like he's tearing up the OHL. Outside the top 10 in goals for the league. Playing for a Championship on one of the league's elite teams that loaded up with talent this year.

I think it's more just a kid who will need a different voice coming at him next year the professional level.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The Oilers don't really have anyone who can just shoot the puck past a goalie, it would be nice if Maksimov can be that.

leon-draisaitl-2017-41.jpg

Reactions: 780il and MikeFLB

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

This guys gonna be the Ethan Bear of our forward group... Mark my words.

5th round pick that was fantastic in juniors. Does ok first year in the AHL. Goes to Bako for a second year, lights it up. Then breaks out into a quality NHL’er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad