LW Kevin Roy - Northeastern University, NCAA (2012, 97th, ANA)

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Havent seen a thread about him yet but just glancing at the ushl stat page I see he has 14 goals and 22 points in 13 games, he's a 93 born, committed to brown university, can someone tell me about his game, strengths? weaknesses?

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Awesome skater, great pair of hands especially in tight areas around the net. Explosive speed through the neutral zone. Definitely slight and a bit undersized but he'll great be a great college player. After that, not sure.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Awesome skater, great pair of hands especially in tight areas around the net. Explosive speed through the neutral zone. Definitely slight and a bit undersized but he'll great be a great college player. After that, not sure.

He was very tentative at the Classic and seemed to fear corners. I've since seen him on FAST a couple of times and in two games - against Sioux City and Fargo - he seemed to create a lot of chances with both his speed and hands, both of which are incredible. He really generated the only offense Lincoln had both of those nights.

I saw him early last year near the beginning of the Prep season and he was the whole show for Deerfield that afternoon. Again, his speed and his hands were a cut above.

Not impressed with his defensive zone play in any of the games of his that I have seen. Blue line floater.

IkeaMonkey*

I didn't see any of this last night... "Explosive" would be the polar opposite of what I saw from his speed/skating. He coasted ALL NIGHT LONG. He wouldn't even protect the puck along the boards when HE had it, nonetheless fight for it even on the forecheck. It was honestly one of the most embarassing performances I've ever seen from a player. I'm dazzled how he has done so well, he didn't even look like he belonged in the NAHL, let alone USHL. For @#$^s sake, he was so out of the game, that on the powerplay, when he was cherry picking(like he did all game...), his goalie fired the puck up to him to start a 2v1 and his head was down, looking somewhere else away from the puck and the puck just sailed right on by him.

Awful.

bluecollarblueshirt*

I didn't see any of this last night... "Explosive" would be the polar opposite of what I saw from his speed/skating. He coasted ALL NIGHT LONG. He wouldn't even protect the puck along the boards when HE had it, nonetheless fight for it even on the forecheck. It was honestly one of the most embarassing performances I've ever seen from a player. I'm dazzled how he has done so well, he didn't even look like he belonged in the NAHL, let alone USHL. For @#$^s sake, he was so out of the game, that on the powerplay, when he was cherry picking(like he did all game...), his goalie fired the puck up to him to start a 2v1 and his head was down, looking somewhere else away from the puck and the puck just sailed right on by him.

Awful.

One games only one game How can you rate a player off one game. He's a damn good player. size is okay. skating is good speed is good hands are excellent. He'll probably be a good 2 line player in the nhl. But he needs to pick up his defensive play a little

IkeaMonkey*

One games only one game How can you rate a player off one game. He's a damn good player. size is okay. skating is good speed is good hands are excellent. He'll probably be a good 2 line player in the nhl. But he needs to pick up his defensive play a little

A little? lol.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
A little? lol.

Word is that he's been fighting through an upper leg injury the last couple of weeks that he sustained in the second game of the two game weekend of Lincoln v. Fargo.

I agree with your assessment of his work ethic but he does have explosive speed and his hands are great.

I saw him in a couple of prep tourneys in 2010 and there was no one better in the offensive zone.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

I agree with DAO. His d-zone play is non-existent.

Yeti

HFBoards Partner
Feb 19, 2005
www.lincolnstarsblog.com
Word is that he's been fighting through an upper leg injury the last couple of weeks that he sustained in the second game of the two game weekend of Lincoln v. Fargo.

I agree with your assessment of his work ethic but he does have explosive speed and his hands are great.

I saw him in a couple of prep tourneys in 2010 and there was no one better in the offensive zone.

This is all correct.

Roy is far from "awful." He's been banged up the past couple of weeks from what I have heard.

I will agree that his work in the defensive zone does need work.

However, as I've pointed out on my blog, Roy is one of the best pure-goal scorers I've EVER seen in Lincoln. Last guy here in Lincoln who could score like that was Jason Gregoire, who went on to play for UND and should play for the Winnipeg Jets soon. Gregoire was a much better defensive player, though. You don't see Roy much at all on the penalty kill because of that.

I've seen Roy in person this season quite a number of times, and just about every game he does something with the puck...whether it is scoring a goal, or stickhandling through two defensemen....that makes my jaw drop. Easily one of the most skilled offensive players the USHL has seen in the past few years.

Very good assessment. I think Roy can be a great college player. After that? It's hard to tell at this point how well his overall game will improve.

IkeaMonkey*

Hope so. But a leg injury won't have any effect on keeping his head up and not seeing a pass coming from his goalie when he's cherry picking. I mean, if you are so mentally checked out of a game that you can't even cherry pick properly that's kind of a problem.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Very good assessment. I think Roy can be a great college player. After that? It's hard to tell at this point how well his overall game will improve.

He's going to have problems at the NCAA level with his lack of play inside his own blueline and trust me when I tell you that was an issue with schools last year with his play at the Prep level. On offense, he's seen as a Gaudreau type who should fit any of the Beanpot teams but he doesn't have Gaudreau's defensive zone work ethic which is why he ended up with Brown. He was a no-show at the Classic, which is traditionally a very physical event. As the season progresses and the small ice of the USHL becomes even smaller he's going to have issues as well. It's not a matter of an adjustment either. His defensive game is non-existent and a relatively uncompetititve Fargo team has twice now shown that he can be shut down.

What's going on with ZAR out there? Why are they sitting this player every third game and why do they have him on the wing?

Last edited:

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Hope so. But a leg injury won't have any effect on keeping his head up and not seeing a pass coming from his goalie when he's cherry picking. I mean, if you are so mentally checked out of a game that you can't even cherry pick properly that's kind of a problem.

i asked you a question on another thread. Stoskopf v. Suter? Suter got knocked out of the game? No third man in for Lincoln or was it over quickly? That had to be as bad of a mismatch as when Yevenko one punched Shine last year.

IkeaMonkey*

He's going to have problems at the NCAA level with his lack of play within his own blueline and trust me when I tell you that was an issue with schools last year with his play at the Prep level. On offense, he's seen as a Gaudreau type who should fit any of the Beanpot teams but he doesn't have Gaudreau's defensive zone work ethic which is why he ended up with Brown. He was a no-show at the Classic, which is traditionally a very physical event. As the season progresses and the small ice of the USHL becomes even smaller he's going to have issues as well. It's not a matter of an adjustment either. His defensive game is non-existent and a relatively uncompetititve Fargo team has twice now shown that he can be shut down.

What's going on with ZAR out there? Why are they sitting this player every third game and why do they have him on the wing?

He also exploded for five points against Fargo though, on home ice.

However, this weekend, I've honestly never seen a more awful performance(even if Yeti thinks he was awesome) I mean, I'm sitting there with my pen and paper out taking notes on all the Lincoln 2011ers and even my girlfriend goes, "why the hell is that #15 kid just skating in circles?". My girlfriend is no scout, so if his play is THAT obvious, I would say there is a problem.

As far as ZAR, he scored a decent "followup" goal that squeeked through Gothberg's Oklahome sized five hole, by going airborne and poking it home. I like ZAR, kid's a gamer. Chad also benched Schutt, who was one of the few players to actually show up for the Stars(other than ZAR and Frye) on Friday... Some interesting stuff goes on in this league I tell ya what.

IkeaMonkey*

i asked you a question on another thread. Stoskopf v. Suter? Suter got knocked out of the game? No third man in for Lincoln or was it over quickly? That had to be as bad of a mismatch as when Carlson one punched Shine last year.

Did Carlson one punch Shine too last year I remember Cooper did, don't recall Carlson...

As for that fight, it was 50/50 for a while and Suter kept going for a leg sweep to trip them both up and take the fight down, in the process of successfully sweeping the leg(Cobra Kai style), Stosko landed on top of him as...obviously if you try and take a guy out on skates, hes GOING to land on top of you...and in the process, Suter's face hit the ice and he got cut up bad.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Did Carlson one punch Shine too last year I remember Cooper did, don't recall Carlson...

I corrected it to Yavenko but it might have been Tate that he put down quickly. Don't recall a Cooper/Shine tilt but I saw them play against only twice regular season last year.

As for that fight, it was 50/50 for a while and Suter kept going for a leg sweep to trip them both up and take the fight down, in the process of successfully sweeping the leg(Cobra Kai style), Stosko landed on top of him as...obviously if you try and take a guy out on skates, hes GOING to land on top of you...and in the process, Suter's face hit the ice and he got cut up bad.

No extra for Suter? That's a bush play.

IkeaMonkey*

I corrected it to Yavenko but it might have been Tate that he put down quickly. Don't recall a Cooper/Shine tilt but I saw them play against only twice regular season last year.

No extra for Suter? That's a bush play.

Cooper definetly dropped Shine in one shot. It's even in the Force's pregame video.

As for the trip job, it was pretty bush. He threw the leg behind Stosko a few times, blatently. Stosko sidestepped it twice, finally it worked and brought them both down with Suter going face first.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Cooper definetly dropped Shine in one shot. It's even in the Force's pregame video.

I believe you. I just remember a monster shot and I thought that it was your buddy Shine on the receiving end.

I wonder if Yeti can give us an update on how Shine is healing. The team is being awfully quiet about him which makes me think he's done for the year. I'll bet that he wishes that he took Saginaw's offer now. That was a pretty cheap shot put on Shine by Marooney. Have you seen it yet? I saw a clip of it on someone else's laptop. No other conclusion but that he went for the knee. Bad break for the kid Shine. Loses OSU and then loses his season.

As for the trip job, it was pretty bush. He threw the leg behind Stosko a few times, blatently. Stosko sidestepped it twice, finally it worked and brought them both down with Suter going face first.

Kid's not a fighter. Inexcusable as it is, it might have been an act of self-preservation against a much better and stronger fighter and where were the linesmen if the leg sweep was attempted a few times and was that obvious?

I'll look for a clip of it.

IkeaMonkey*

Loses OSU and then loses his season.

Kid's not a fighter. Inexcusable as it is, it might have been an act of self-preservation against a much better and stronger fighter and where were the linesmen if the leg sweep was attempted a few times and was that obvious?

I'll look for a clip of it.

I hadn't heard this? What happened with OSU?

I think the linesman kind of jumped in a bit after the first attempted leg sweep, but pulled off when Stosko sidestepped it then landed a few more shots.

Yeti

HFBoards Partner
Feb 19, 2005
www.lincolnstarsblog.com

Huh? ZAR has played 13 of 15 games this season.

Chad also benched Schutt, who was one of the few players to actually show up for the Stars(other than ZAR and Frye) on Friday.

Schutt was injured.

I wonder if Yeti can give us an update on how Shine is healing. The team is being awfully quiet about him which makes me think he's done for the year.

No idea about how Shine is progressing. I don't work for the Stars. I've seen him on crutches before some of the home games, but I don't know how he's doing. I tore my MCL and PCL back in September (similar injury to Shine's), and I'm still doing PT. It's going to be February or March before he comes back, in my opinion.

IkeaMonkey*

Schutt was injured.

Did it happen away from the ice? He was out there for the very last shift on Friday and was skating better and harder than pretty much all of the Stars on Friday, so to hear of an injury if it happened in the game would be interesting...

Yeti

HFBoards Partner
Feb 19, 2005
www.lincolnstarsblog.com
Did it happen away from the ice? He was out there for the very last shift on Friday and was skating better and harder than pretty much all of the Stars on Friday, so to hear of an injury if it happened in the game would be interesting...

No idea. Our radio guy said he wasn't a healthy scratch, and I heard from someone else he was injured. That's all I know.

He's a heck of a player. Not overly flashy, but solid overall. One of the better defensive forwards on the team. Hard-worker also. Still hasn't committed, so a school out there will be lucky to get him.

IkeaMonkey*

He's a heck of a player. Not overly flashy, but solid overall. One of the better defensive forwards on the team. Hard-worker also. Still hasn't committed, so a school out there will be lucky to get him.

That's basically exactly what I said to someone here who wanted a report about him. He was probably the most impressive Stars player on Friday night by a country mile.

Yeti

HFBoards Partner
Feb 19, 2005
www.lincolnstarsblog.com
That's basically exactly what I said to someone here who wanted a report about him. He was probably the most impressive Stars player on Friday night by a country mile.

Ladue and Schutt are the two newcomers that have impressed me the most. Both are uncommitted, although I've heard Ladue will commit soon. He's a very steady d-man. Really impressed with how composed he has looked for a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad