LW Kevin Fiala (2014, 11th, NSH)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I don't think I have ever been as impressed by a prospect playing for HV71. He is a seventeen year old, playing with men - making them look like the juniors.

He has great work ethic. His skill set is sick. But what impresses me the most is that in the playoffs he has really been willing to sacrifice his body to make plays. Kamikazestyle he will hold onto the puck and let it go exactly when his teammate is in the right position. He takes a lot of hits but doesn't seem to mind.

I can't really find a weakness. He makes some stupid decisions at times but some really great and brave ones as well.

In five years, he might be the big name of this draft. I know to little about the north american prospects but compared to star players I've seen as adolescents in Sweden before...
He's looking good. Really good. Small sample size but I wouldn't rule out top 10 forward in NHL.

I can also vouch for Fialas character, while he doesn't seem to enjoy the limelight he has been showing great attitude towards his teammates in J20. A friend has been following the team the whole year as a reporter and has very good insight.

This is what his other linemate, Ted Brithén has to say:
"To be among the first ones to play with Fiala and to contribute to his development is something that you will carry with you the rest of your life. It's a lot of fun to play with such a talented player."

Had some fun reading what the boards of the opposing playoff-team Leksand has had to say about Kevin. It's pretty much like reading a horror-story. "Wait, we can't event stop him 4 against 1???" Etc.

This will be a very exciting prospect to follow indeed.

Edit: there has been a lot of scouts watching him lately, I normally sit in the same area. Will try to get some teamnames. A swedish newspaper noted presense from Vancouver and New Jersey recently.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
I don't think I have ever been as impressed by a prospect playing for HV71. He is a seventeen year old, playing with men - making them look like the juniors.

He has great work ethic. His skill set is sick. But what impresses me the most is that in the playoffs he has really been willing to sacrifice his body to make plays. Kamikazestyle he will hold onto the puck and let it go exactly when his teammate is in the right position. He takes a lot of hits but doesn't seem to mind.

I can't really find a weakness. He makes some stupid decisions at times but some really great and brave ones as well.

In five years, he might be the big name of this draft. I know to little about the north american prospects but compared to star players I've seen as adolescents in Sweden before...
He's looking good. Really good. Small sample size but I wouldn't rule out top 10 forward in NHL.

I can also vouch for Fialas character, while he doesn't seem to enjoy the limelight he has been showing great attitude towards his teammates in J20. A friend has been following the team the whole year as a reporter and has very good insight.

"To be among the first ones to play with Fiala and to contribute to his development is something that you will carry with you the rest of your life. It's a lot of fun to play with such a talented player."

Had some fun reading what the boards of the opposing playoff-team Leksand has had to say about Kevin. It's pretty much like reading a horror-story. "Wait, we can't event stop him 4 against 1???" Etc.

Edit: there has been a lot of scouts watching him lately, I normally sit in the same area. Will try to get some teamnames. A swedish newspaper noted presense from Vancouver and New Jersey recently.

He will soon be overhyped....

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013

Top 10 forward in the whole league? I hope you're joking. :help:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Top 10 forward in the whole league? I hope you're joking. :help:

If you read the post again, you might come to the conclusion that "I wouldn't rule out" doesn't mean that he will surely become a top 10 forward.
However, what he is delivering in the SHL right now is on par with (or even better than) Kopitar, Zetterberg, Bäckström. The team he plays for sucks. His linemates didn't deliver until they played with him and he has been an inspiration to the whole team.

He is seventeen, anything can happen really. But this looks really promising.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
He been carrying HV71 the last 10 games or so, but he can be totally invisible some games.

He a real stud and been producing against men. He should be a first rounder

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
He been carrying HV71 the last 10 games or so, but he can be totally invisible some games.

He a real stud and been producing against men. He should be a first rounder

Been the case in J20 as well. In terms of pure skill only Nylander and Pastrnak are ahead of him in Sweden. He could go anywhere from 3-7 of players drafted out of Sweden.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Been the case in J20 as well. In terms of pure skill only Nylander and Pastrnak are ahead of him in Sweden. He could go anywhere from 3-7 of players drafted out of Sweden.

Yeah, In terms of skill it's Nylander then Vrana/Pastrnak/Fiala then guys like Kempe and Karlsson. Fiala has really been good lately, much better than Vrana who just shows flashes of great skill. It will be interesting to see where they all go.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Kevin Fiala, HV71, center (2014 draft)

Don't have a ton of info about this Swiss player. Anyone want to rank him? Is he flying under the radar?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Saw Fiala in the WJ, saw him dangle across the blue line against Canada and his work ethic, skill, hands were just unreal. Got his name, searched his scouting profile, rankings and I hope the Canucks can get him. He is just so damn good, he can look like Patrick Kane sometimes, his work ethic and determination is alot like Sabotka even though they are both small they both fight for every puck.

Watch Chicago or Detroit draft him and he explodes and everyone wishes they drafted him like Nyquist or TT but only if I was the GM for one day.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Fiala's been really good in today's game against Finland. He made a beautiful pass to Switzerland's first goal and he's been very creative with very good passing game. He's got a very hard wrist shot as well and he skates with a smooth and effective stride. Forward Denis Malgin and defenseman Roger Karrer are other very good players for Switzerland.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
That set-up on SUI's goal was unreal. Between the legs deke, no-look backhand tape-to-tape pass... He's just dominant with the puck, nearly Drouin-like puck skills.

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
wonder why hes not ranked 1st in european skaters? def top 10 potential

arsmaster*

Fiala is listed at 5'9" on the IIHF tournament site.

Might throw a wrench into these top 10 rankings. Size is not the be all and end all, but it is important.

I still think he goes between 20-35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad