LW Justin Kirkland - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2014, 62nd overall, Nashville)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I swear I thought we had a Kirkland thread here, but couldn't find any in the search feature.

Saw play from some old games. I still think he's fairly raw, but has good size and very smooth with the puck. Known for his playmaking, but there is some good goalscoring skills within him as well. Would like him to play a more physical game, but already uses his frame to shield off lower opponents. Solid on the PK as well. Hard to say who he plays like, maybe a lite version of Jamie Benn? Reminds me of David Perron too. One thing I do not like about his game is he tries to force the play or puck too much, leads to potential turnovers.

Last edited:

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Just a little bump for a guy playing for my hometown team. I've seen him ranked anywhere from a low 1st to a 5th round pick.

A definite project but could be a very nice mid to late round pick, personally I'd take with Vans 3rd if he was available.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I had him as my #6 prospect from the Dub in my final rankings:

Here's what I wrote:

6 - Justin Kirkland - LW - Kelowna Rockets
Kirkland is a phenomenal prospect he has all the tools. He has a great frame good speed, hands, and shot, and he is great along the boards. He also does great work down low and knows how to use his big frame to protect the puck. He plays a solid defensive game and is always giving a good effort. He possesses all these great tools while still being incredibly raw. Kirkland is very lanky and needs to bulk up plenty before he is ready to make the next step and any team that drafts him needs to be patient, but the payoff may be an amazing two-way player with great size.

The more it think of his game the more I think he will be the steal of the draft I think he is a lock for the 2nd round.

Great prospect!!!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Justin Kirkland - Kelowna Rockets (2014, 62nd overall, Nashville)

I was looking at the stats of some recently drafted Predators prospects, and noticed that Justin Kirkland -- who stood out positively as a potential skilled power forward prospect at the Predators summer development and rookie camps, is off to a strong start for the Rockets, with 8 goals and 11 assists in 19 games.

Can anyone thats seen him play a few times this year give us a report on how he's doing, beyond the numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad