LW John Quenneville (2014, 30th, NJD)

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Is there a reason there isn't much talk about this guy? He is averaging almost a PPG in the Dub and I haven't heard anything about him. He isn't undersized or anything like that. I know points aren't everything but Quenneville is outpointing Virtanen right now. What's Quenneville's game like? Any relation to Joel?

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
He's a big kid, who made last years team as a 16 year old, even though he was a bit overweight. Had a decent, under appreciated year on a terrible team. Reported back this season in tremendous shape, and has been the most consistent player, night in, night out. Played both wing and center, as the coaches have asked. His size makes him a tough guy to play against, even though he's not a guy looking to fight or crush others. He has decent offensive skills, not a puck wizard by any means. Will need to continue to work on his speed, but he's one of those guys who still seem to get where they need to be. Seems like a player who gets better every game, because of this constant improvement, his ceiling seems higher than other guys this age. Should be drafted this year, his size, hockey sense and his genes mean that he likely won't be overlooked.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
40 years younger?

Yep, it fits.

Yeah, he'd have to be his 1st cousin once (or even twice) removed for that to make sense, right?

2nd/3rd/etc. denotes separation by generations (e.g. your mother's cousin would be your second cousin, your grandfather's cousin would be your third cousin, and so forth). Once, twice, etc. removed is degrees of separation; so twice removed would be your cousin's cousin, another "ring" of cousins out from you, if you will.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
His brother Peter just left Quinnipiac University today to join John in Brandon.

Billybaroo*

Joel is Uncle. David is a brother as well. Will be playing in the Dub next year.

MAJackson

Oct 31, 2012
Europe
2nd/3rd/etc. denotes separation by generations (e.g. your mother's cousin would be your second cousin, your grandfather's cousin would be your third cousin, and so forth). Once, twice, etc. removed is degrees of separation; so twice removed would be your cousin's cousin, another "ring" of cousins out from you, if you will.
Not to derail this thread completely, but that's wrong. Your cousin's cousin is simply that: your cousin's cousin. You share no blood relation. This is pretty easy to follow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

As far as John Quenneville goes, he's been the best player on the Wheat Kings so far. He seems to have taken a big step forward this season. Given his pedigree (Joel is his second cousin, Johnny Boychuck is his uncle by marriage) he'll garner attention.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Joel is Uncle. David is a brother as well. Will be playing in the Dub next year.
Peter's now removed Quinnipiac bio says differently:
PERSONAL:
Son of Andre and Carle Quenneville…Has two brothers, John and David; and one sister, Cassie…Cousin of Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville...Born in Edmonton, Alberta...Majoring in Psychology.

And from NHL.com:
Quenneville is the second cousin of Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville and a center for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound forward earned a C rating in NHL Central Scouting's preliminary rankings of players to watch for the 2013 NHL Draft, and has three goals and four assists in his first seven games.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=11743

jfrazzldazzle71

Jun 2, 2012
Quenneville is having an excellent year thus far, I really enjoyed him and Hawryluk playing together. Night in and night out he is impressing me more and more

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Not to derail this thread completely, but that's wrong. Your cousin's cousin is simply that: your cousin's cousin. You share no blood relation. This is pretty easy to follow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

As far as John Quenneville goes, he's been the best player on the Wheat Kings so far. He seems to have taken a big step forward this season. Given his pedigree (Joel is his second cousin, Johnny Boychuck is his uncle by marriage) he'll garner attention.

Oh for Christ's sake. I thought the terminology was stupid when I thought I knew it; now I think it's even dumber.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
How would you compare Quenneville with teammate Hawryluk?

Very different players. Hawryluk hits a lot more, and forechecks very aggressively, more opportunistic offensively. Quenneville is way better in his own zone. He's also a lot bigger than Hawryluk. Hawryluk is all about speed and offence. Quenneville plays a more complete game. Hawryluk has the best offensive potential but is more of a high risk/reward pick, Quenneville is the safe pick. Quenneville is the better team guy as well.
They will obviously never be near as good as Toews and Kane, but style wise, Quenneville is more Toews and Hawyrluk is more Kane

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Every time I see this guy he seems to get better. He's a really interesting guy to keep an eye on, along with teammates Hawryluk, Bukarts (for 2014) and Pilon (for 2015). Brandon's turning into a really fun team. If they could round up some reliable goaltending, they could be a force for the next 2-3 years.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
Brothers: David Quenneville, Peter Quenneville
Second cousin: Joel Quenneville
Uncle (by marriage): Johnny Boychuk

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Brothers: David Quenneville, Peter Quenneville
Second cousin: Joel Quenneville
Uncle (by marriage): Johnny Boychuk

When David breaks into the WHL there will no doubt be a lot of people around here discussing his play. He's a very dynamic puck moving defenseman who looks very comfortable as a 15 year old in the AMHL.

Mark my words, this kid will have his own thread with many pages attached to it.

Aug 3, 2010
When David breaks into the WHL there will no doubt be a lot of people around here discussing his play. He's a very dynamic puck moving defenseman who looks very comfortable as a 15 year old in the AMHL.

Mark my words, this kid will have his own thread with many pages attached to it.
More importantly, Pierre McGuire will be over the moon with him.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

Dave Quenneville is like PK Subban. The kid is so dynamic and fun to watch, he has a really swagger to his game.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

I would like to see him grow another couple inches. Definitely game breaking talent. But I personally feel like Clague will be one of the best defenseman to come out of the WHL in many years. The kid is dynamic. Better than I remember Morrissey being in midget AAA.

John Quenneville is moving up the ranks. I think we have him in the 60's. His size and ruggedness will get him called within the first 75 picks for sure. To the above poster wondering why Virtanen is ahead- likely because Virtanen is a better skater, more polished physically, and has a better shot. He isn't as consistent, but when he comes around he will be a threat.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
http://www.wheatkings.com/
Go to the WK v Broncos video and watch the backhander Quenneville buries at 38seconds? Tell me again why Virtanen is rated so much higher than Quenneville?

From what I've noticed, Virtanen brings it all the time, every shift, while Quenneville does not.

Virtanen's more of a one shot scorer, while Quenneville relies more on finesse.

Virtanen's consistency and all around game is better, imo, although Quenneville's offensive game is probably more polished at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad