LW John Leonard - UMass-Amherst, NCAA (2018, 182nd, SJ)

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Watching him play I have that feeling too. Seems premature but he has that thing.
His coach at UMASS has compared him with Makar a couple of times about being special and having "it"

Here's one quote

"John's a unique player in that he doesn't need a lot of help to create offense," Carvel said. "He can create a ton by himself. He can skate the length of the ice, very similar to Cale, how Cale could use his strong skating to create offense."

"He was the most entertaining goal scorer that I've seen in my time in college. Most of his goals were singular, effort and skill and execution. This year, he took a step with his skating. He's been a bit of a funky looking skater, he created that breakaway speed this year. He scored a number of goals either winning races up the ice or able to skate through a defender using his stick skills and his speed, but his best quality is he's a real, true, actual goal scorer"

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
His coach at UMASS has compared him with Makar a couple of times about being special and having "it"

Here's one quote

"John's a unique player in that he doesn't need a lot of help to create offense," Carvel said. "He can create a ton by himself. He can skate the length of the ice, very similar to Cale, how Cale could use his strong skating to create offense."

"He was the most entertaining goal scorer that I've seen in my time in college. Most of his goals were singular, effort and skill and execution. This year, he took a step with his skating. He's been a bit of a funky looking skater, he created that breakaway speed this year. He scored a number of goals either winning races up the ice or able to skate through a defender using his stick skills and his speed, but his best quality is he's a real, true, actual goal scorer"

Eh, it's their job to talk up players.

No doubt Leonard looked good. He has good legs and looks to have NHL strength, which is important. I liked how calm he looked defensively.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, it's their job to talk up players.

No doubt Leonard looked good. He has good legs and looks to have NHL strength, which is important. I liked how calm he looked defensively.
I mean, they usually have good things to say, but that sounds a whole lot more complimentary than the standard “he’s great on and off the ice, responsible two way player, blah blah blah.”

Reactions: Deas and Patty Ice

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Kid looks shot out of a rocket.

If Sharks could hit on some of these young players the turn around shouldn't be too long.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Quieted down quite a bit stats wise after that first game. Since that first game when he looked deadly and finished with 2 assists, he has played...

3 gp. 0g. 0a. and is minus 4 with 6sog.

He is still averaging about a min and a half on the PP.

How has he been? Snake bitten? Or just a situation where he randomly looked good in his first game and now has come back to reality?.. I'm curious cause I havent been able to watch his past 3 games

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Quieted down quite a bit stats wise after that first game. Since that first game when he looked deadly and finished with 2 assists, he has played...

How has he been? Snake bitten? Or just a situation where he randomly looked good in his first game and now has come back to reality?.. I'm curious cause I havent been able to watch his past 3 games
He has still been solid. Not quite as good as the first game, but still looks like he will be a long term top 6 forward.

Still showing great awareness, stick handling, and acceleration. He was moved to the third line because the line needed someone to carry it, which is him now.

In transition last game he perfectly faked a pass and no look shot it off the post. He is still getting chances and involved.

Also, a lot of the team scoring has been on the powerplay, and he only plays sometimes on the second unit, and the top unit is overloaded.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

John Leonard will be a star.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Dallas?? Or spoken in the same breath as other stars in the league like Matthews/Barzal/Pasternak/etc etc

If John Leonard becomes a star on their level, I'm buying a lottery ticket.

My guess is that he turns into a consistent 45-55 point player during his prime who also plays well defensively.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

2nd clip is the same slomo but just less frame-y.
Still playing well. He's adjusting to the NHL still but we generally have him down as a locked in top 9 forward.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Last three games, he’s been playing with scrubs like Dylan Gambrell and Stephan Noesen. First two games he played with Hertl and Kane. Really simple as that. Don’t understand why he was moved out of the top-6 frankly.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He got sent to the AHL. I guess his road to stardom will be a winding one.

He had a great camp and first 2-3 games and then seemed to disappear. Once he started playing with less talent, the disappearance continued. I think he will.be a good NHLer at some point, but rhat point is not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad