LW Jimmy Vesey (2012, 66th, NSH; 2016 UFA, NYR)

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
This guy is lighting it up and you don't hear much about him. I haven't seen a thread about him. Ranks 1st in PPG for all NCAA players as a Junior.

Just how good is he?

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
Nate Wells @gopherstate
Harvard's Jimmy Vesey has yet to be held pointless this season. 20 for 20. 11 more to match Gaudreau's 31 last year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Played C on a line with Johnny Gaudreau at WJC. Really good hockey player. Nothing flashy. But no weaknesses really.
I came away impressed.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I've personally attended ~5 games Vesey has played in over the last year or two. I'm no scout, but Vesey was clearly the best player on the ice in the Harvard-Cornell game several weeks ago. Among other things, he just seems to be both mentally and physically quicker than his ECAC opponents or his teammates.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I've personally attended ~5 games Vesey has played in over the last year or two. I'm no scout, but Vesey was clearly the best player on the ice in the Harvard-Cornell game several weeks ago. Among other things, he just seems to be both mentally and physically quicker than his ECAC opponents or his teammates.

When he was drafted, there were some lofty comparisons to Jamie Benn.

Does he play a similar game to Benn and what are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he a good two-way player?

What are the chances he leaves Harvard early?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
When he was drafted, there were some lofty comparisons to Jamie Benn.

Does he play a similar game to Benn and what are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he a good two-way player?

What are the chances he leaves Harvard early?

I think his game is unlike Benns. He's got more playmaking skill and better vision, while Benn has a better shot and is more physical. Vesey is a better natural skater. He's a decent two way player but I think he's not at the NHL level yet but probably needs to leave the NCAA's to work on that (which is typical of most players leaving juniors or NCAA's. )

However I don't see him leaving early. He can stay another year and take a real shot at the Hobey Baker and it won't hurt his professional opportunities at all. He may even be ready at that point for a jump straight to the NHL.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I think his game is unlike Benns. He's got more playmaking skill and better vision, while Benn has a better shot and is more physical. Vesey is a better natural skater. He's a decent two way player but I think he's not at the NHL level yet but probably needs to leave the NCAA's to work on that (which is typical of most players leaving juniors or NCAA's. )

However I don't see him leaving early. He can stay another year and take a real shot at the Hobey Baker and it won't hurt his professional opportunities at all. He may even be ready at that point for a jump straight to the NHL.

You don't go to Harvard if you plan to leave early, I agree!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what is special about Vesey is that he does this without much talent around him. Same as Eichel, Vesey is pretty much a one man show on this team outside of McNally as Brian Hart I thought would be doing a lot more but hasn't..Malone is solid as well but has been hurt.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I've been saying Vesey is one of our top prospects, but no one knows about him. Always shows up at the prospect camp and I loved watching him play in the WJC.

Hopefully he can break out and be that perfect fit in our future top 6 to match Forsbergs skill and Fiala's flash. Exciting time to be a Predators fan.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im shocked there is no talk of this kid on here. An UNREAL prospect. IMO he will win Hobey Baker this year(yes I believe he will win it instead of Eichel!!). It's extremely impressive what he is doing on a team with nobody else significant at all. Single handily bringing his team close to a NCAA title. The Preds have a complete stud here

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Im shocked there is no talk of this kid on here. An UNREAL prospect. IMO he will win Hobey Baker this year(yes I believe he will win it instead of Eichel!!). It's extremely impressive what he is doing on a team with nobody else significant at all. Single handily bringing his team close to a NCAA title. The Preds have a complete stud here

Almost any other year he would, has to go to Eichel this year though.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
It's extremely impressive what he is doing on a team with nobody else significant at all. Single handily bringing his team close to a NCAA title.

Kerfoot and Criscuolo aren't exactly chopped liver but yeah Vesey's one helluva prospect.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Bob McKenzie posted an article this morning that basically suggests that the Predators would consider putting him in the lineup THIS season if he were willing to potentially forego his senior year. Some other interesting blurbs about his stature among other GMs as a "top prospect."

The only historical precedent I can really think of is Craig Smith. He finished his sophomore year at Wisconsin and it was pretty clear that he had nothing more to do there..but for educational purposes, he wanted to stay for at least one more year..the Predators essentially promised him that he would skip the AHL and go right into the lineup, which is how it unfolded.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not too many people in the world can say they have a Degree from Harvard... unfortunately I'd imagine he will stay next season and finish off his degree and then sign a contract the second after he's done school

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Bob McKenzie posted an article this morning that basically suggests that the Predators would consider putting him in the lineup THIS season if he were willing to potentially forego his senior year. Some other interesting blurbs about his stature among other GMs as a "top prospect."

The only historical precedent I can really think of is Craig Smith. He finished his sophomore year at Wisconsin and it was pretty clear that he had nothing more to do there..but for educational purposes, he wanted to stay for at least one more year..the Predators essentially promised him that he would skip the AHL and go right into the lineup, which is how it unfolded.

I like the whole PR aspect of that article haha. Basically a way for Nashville to let Vesey know what's what without breaking any of the NCAA rules haha.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Not too many people in the world can say they have a Degree from Harvard... unfortunately I'd imagine he will stay next season and finish off his degree and then sign a contract the second after he's done school

So people always bring up the "finish school" thing when talking about some prospects. It's not like they can't finish at a later date, as in the summer, or through distance education (doesn't make the degree any less of a degree) or even later in life.

Now I get wanted to just finish the degree, and not having to worry about it later. But he can finish it in other ways if he really wants to join the Preds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad