LW Jakob Stukel - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2016, 154th, VAN)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Thought's on Jakob?, Had a really solid development camp for the canucks, looks like he has some serious game, drives the net, is a solid skater.

Any chance he makes the NHL?, I heard he broke out last year in the 2nd half.

JA

Jakob shows promise as a hard-nosed, speedy goal scorer. I like the pick a lot, especially for a sixth round selection. He has terrific straight-line speed and quick hands. Considering he missed the entire 2013-14 season and thus a full year of development, Jakob might be a late bloomer. His development is a year behind, so his 2015-16 season was more like a 17-year-old season than a conventional 18-year-old one. He was born on March 6, 1997, so he isn't an old 2015 eligible player. He is just over six months older than the oldest 2016 first-year eligible draft choices.

While it seems right now that he would be an offense-only forward, he can be taught to play a more reliable overall game and can perhaps become a second-to-third line tweener with mid-end goal scoring ability at the NHL level. Anything more would be bonus, especially if he turns out to be a late-round gem. He has great goal-scoring attributes, so there is offensive upside to this player.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jakob-stukel-worth-a-shot-for-canucks-in-sixth-round-1.2288581
Jakob Stukel worth a shot for Canucks in sixth round
Stukel stepped up in second year of draft eligibility
Daniel Wagner / Vancouver Courier
June 27, 2016 03:49 PM
Pass it to Bulis

In the sixth round, the Canucks took 19-year-old Jakob Stukel, who is an intriguing player because his production completely changed once he got away from the Vancouver Giants. In his first draft-eligible season, Stukel had just 5 goals and 16 points in 49 games, albeit after an ACL tear wiped out his off-season. This past season started the same way, with just 4 points through 12 games.

But then Stukel got traded to the Calgary Hitmen and turned things around, leading the Hitmen in goals with 34 and finishing the season with 56 points in 57 games.

He seems to be a streaky player, with scoring streaks separated by two or three pointless games, but he did very well within those streaks. In one streak in late November, he had 7 goals and 9 points in 6 games. In a January streak, he had 3 goals and 9 points in just 5 games. To finish his season, he scored 5 goals and 10 points in 7 games.

Stukel did a lot of scoring on the power play, with half of his 36 goals on the season coming with the man advantage. His 18 power play goals led the WHL and was fourth in the entire CHL. That’s both a positive and a negative: it’s good to know he can finish on the power play, but it’s generally more encouraging when a prospect can create at even strength. Getting lots of production from the power play in junior can be an indication that a player can't produce when time and space are taken away and that's something that disappears in a hurry at higher levels.

On the plus side, most of his points were primary points, with only 9 secondary assists all season. If his points were boosted by the power play, they weren't artificially inflated by secondary assists.

Setting aside his point totals, there are several reasons to like Stukel and think he was worth taking a chance with a sixth round pick. His skating and shot are both plus tools, and he has the ability to finish in multiple ways. Stukel also plays on left wing, filling a position of need in the Canucks’ system.

Ryan Pike’s draft profile on Stukel notes several deficiencies to go with his offensive upside, questioning his decision making, consistency, ability to win puck battles, and play away from the puck. If Stukel can address those issues and develop his all-around game, his speed and opportunistic finishing ability give him a shot at an NHL future.

http://thehockeywriters.com/jakob-stukel-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
Jakob Stukel – The Next Ones: 2016 NHL Draft Prospect Profile
June 19th, 2016
BY Ryan Pike

Stukel is deadly when he’s left alone anywhere near the net with the puck. He’s blessed with a really quick, accurate shot, and he can get it off from some really bad angles. He’s also pretty effective at puck distribution, and the attention he gets from opposition defenders often opens up his linemates for scoring opportunities. Stukel thrives when he gets time and space to operate, and his offensive production is heavily skewed towards his power-play time.

For all his offensive bluster, Stukel isn’t a complete player. He occasionally gets out-muscled in corner battles, his play away from the puck is prone to lapses, and his game-to-game consistency isn’t great. (Sometimes he’ll score multiple points in consecutive games, sometimes he’ll go stone cold for several games.)

But very few players in the WHL are as dangerous with the puck as Stukel, and that should be enough to get him drafted by some NHL club.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/b-c-boys-stukel-ronning-have-another-connection-after-nhl-draft
B.C. boys Stukel, Ronning have another connection after NHL Draft
Steve Ewen
Published on: June 25, 2016 | Last Updated: June 25, 2016 7:49 PM PDT

He says he was a Canucks fan growing up, and tagged Saturday as “pretty surreal.”

“I need to get stronger. I need to be able to battle harder in the corners,” he said of areas that require improvement.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Reports from development camp is that he has impressed.

He's a long shot for sure but he's got some tools that are enticing. Should be fun to see if he can turn into something.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
In a straight line, with or without the puck, he can absolutely fly. He was the only Calgary forward that was a threat with the puck in the neutral zone. He can eat up WHL defensemen if he gets a step. My concern at the next level would be if/when defensemen match his speed, he doesn't really have a counter move. Everything is full effort and linear. Sometimes his speed can cause him to get out of control too and his hands can't keep up. He's well worth a shot in the 6th round though and a guy I definitely thought showed draftable talent shortly after arriving in Calgary.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love the kid... has had some bad injury history early in his WHL career but he was a guy I was predicting that a team could take sorta high in the draft. IMO Canucks got a steal with him this late in the draft

JA

It would not be unreasonable to suggest that Stukel would have been drafted higher if this had been his first draft-eligible season. Considering the loss of his entire 2013-14 season, his development is a year behind and so his 2015-16 season represents what his first draft-eligible season might have been; this was only his sophomore season in the WHL, and he took a huge step forward from his rookie campaign. I feel that this most recent season with the Calgary Hitmen would have earned him a place somewhere in the first three rounds of the draft if he was a year younger, or even six months younger.

I am impressed by his goal production last year with the Hitmen.

I was already curious about Stukel prior to this past week. His performance at the Development Camp only reaffirms my thoughts about him. He has talent. He is also a rather unrefined player, so he needs to work hard to polish his game. That said, he has a fairly attractive skill set.
Emerson Etem.
I am aware that you don't think as highly of him based on some of your comments about him not only here, but in other Canucks prospect threads as well. You have stated that you don't see a lot of NHL-style goals, but I disagree. He has enough speed to separate himself from the opposition, he has good hands and has shown an ability to deke the opposing goaltender quickly while moving at full speed down the ice, and he has an above average shot so that he doesn't necessarily have to score from in close. His goal-scoring tendencies are varied; for example, he likes to drive through the crease at full speed. He also likes to park on the right side of the net near the goal mouth so that he can bury rebounds and setups from his teammates.

You have compared his goals at the WHL level with Emerson Etem's. That is fair, considering there are some similarities. That said, there are major differences as well.

One thing I think Stukel has that a player like Emerson Etem doesn't is total control (of the puck and of his direction) on his skates. He seems sturdier, and also demonstrates more finesse with the puck than Etem. Etem relies heavily on blistering straight-line speed, although he doesn't quite have the hands to keep up. Stukel has better puck control, east-west movement, and also positions himself better to receive a pass, or, better yet, to steal the puck from the opposition. He can shield the puck and maneuver around an opposition player. This is a player who knows where to be to retrieve the puck, knows how to get around the ice effectively with it, and has good enough vision to create chances offensively for himself and his teammates. When the opposition chases him, it opens up his teammates who he will sometimes pass to. Etem, on the other hand, either rushes the puck up the ice in a straight line, or floats around waiting for a pass. He's not particularly shifty. He creates offense with his straight-line breakaway speed, and by burying feeds off the rush. Stukel looks like he knows where to position himself offensively to create offense from a standstill and can get himself into a position with the puck to score, whereas Etem needs a playmaker on his line to be effective.

Etem has the skill set to be an effective NHL player, but I don't think his style of play or offensive approach works at the NHL level. He was selected in the first round of the 2010 NHL Draft for a reason. This is a case of a player having a lot of tools, but no toolbox. He doesn't use his speed to any desired effect. There are players in the NHL who use their speed well, but so far he isn't one of them. He has a shot, but doesn't do anything with it. Throughout his NHL career, he has only averaged 1.5 shots per game, and those shots aren't very noteworthy either. In the WHL, he excelled with highly-skilled linemates. The Hitmen don't quite have the same degree of talent that those Medicine Hat teams did. Stukel is asked to do more on his own than Etem ever had to.

As mentioned before, Stukel also missed a year of development. Etem's first draft-eligible season was his 17-year-old season. Stukel was 18 years old this past season, so taking the lost year into account, they were practically at the same stage of their development in the respective years that they were drafted.

When Jakob joined the Vancouver Giants for the 2012-13 season at the age of 15, he had two goals, two assists, four points in six games. Then an ACL tear wiped out his 2013-14 season, which would have been his rookie season.

One of the main criticisms of Stukel this past season was his lack of consistency. He would put together very impressive scoring streaks, then slow down for a period. He was by far the Hitmen's best goal scorer in 2015-16 with 34 goals, 56 points in 57 games. If he can find consistency and play at the top of his game all year long, his numbers could easily be even better next season. That would be the next step for him to take in his development in addition to improving as a player overall. If he does this, then he will become a very noteworthy prospect for the Canucks. He is on the right track thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Stukel became one of my favorite Hitmen by the end of the season.
Once he gained confidence about midway through the season his game grew accordingly. I do find him almost timid at times or not going all-in during puck battles and I wonder if his injury got in his head. I really didn't pay attention to him on the Giants( he was injured a lot) so I can't say if that held true prior to his injury. Perhaps a Giants fan can fill in that blank.

JA

For those wondering, here is the story regarding the ACL tear that prevented him from playing in 2013-14:

http://vancouvergiants.com/stukel-hopes-to-not-miss-a-beat
Stukel Hopes to Not Miss a Beat
January 6, 2014

Like most athletes, Jakob wanted to improve elements of his game during the off-season to push for a roster spot on the Giants come time for training camp. One of the ways he opted to use was to play football.

It didn’t go the way he had hoped.

“I was playing the quarterback position,” Jakob said. I was doing some training and I wanted to improve my speed and explosiveness. Then all of the sudden I was running and I slanted and fell. I [wasn’t really pushed or tackled, I just fell].”

Something was wrong. He was hurt.

“When I got up,” Jakob explained, “I could feel my knee giving way.”

Both parents were working at their respective jobs, so he opted to phone his father. Jakob needed medical attention.

“I remember that phone call very well,” Jack said. “It was almost like an ‘I can’t believe this is happening’ kind of situation. When I went to pick him up to go to the hospital, I was hoping it wasn’t anything too serious.”

“[Back at the hospital], they had X-rays done,” Jack stated. “But X-rays [apparently] don’t show ligament tears. So we decided to contact the Giants and after meeting with the doctors and the physiotherapist, they knew that Jakob had a serious problem.”

It was revealed that Jakob had a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

“I could have just done rehab and be back in a few weeks,” Jakob said. “But if I did that, I would risk injuring it more in the future. So we decided to do a full surgery.”

He was going to be out of action for at least six to eight months.

“I was devastated,” Jakob confessed. “I knew I was not only going to miss most of the Giants’ season, but also a chance to play in the [ 2014 World U17 Hockey Challenge], which happens at the end of December, as well.”

But he isn’t the only one feeling devastated.

“It has always been about hockey for Jakob,” Jack said. “Now that he suffered the injury, that’s pretty much no hockey for us all [season]. I mean, Jakob [just turned] 16-years-old, so I don’t think he understands what an injury like this can do to his future. This [is the stage] where it’s time to see if Jakob has a future in hockey.”

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It would not be unreasonable to suggest that Stukel would have been drafted higher if this had been his first draft-eligible season. Considering the loss of his entire 2013-14 season, his development is a year behind and so his 2015-16 season represents what his first draft-eligible season might have been; this was only his sophomore season in the WHL, and he took a huge step forward from his rookie campaign. I feel that this most recent season with the Calgary Hitmen would have earned him a place somewhere in the first three rounds of the draft if he was a year younger, or even six months younger.

I am impressed by his goal production last year with the Hitmen.

I was already curious about Stukel prior to this past week. His performance at the Development Camp only reaffirms my thoughts about him. He has talent. He is also a rather unrefined player, so he needs to work hard to polish his game. That said, he has a fairly attractive skill set.

I am aware that you don't think as highly of him based on some of your comments about him not only here, but in other Canucks prospect threads as well. You have stated that you don't see a lot of NHL-style goals, but I disagree. He has enough speed to separate himself from the opposition, he has good hands and has shown an ability to deke the opposing goaltender quickly while moving at full speed down the ice, and he has an above average shot so that he doesn't necessarily have to score from in close. His goal-scoring tendencies are varied; for example, he likes to drive through the crease at full speed. He also likes to park on the right side of the net near the goal mouth so that he can bury rebounds and setups from his teammates.

You have compared his goals at the WHL level with Emerson Etem's. That is fair, considering there are some similarities. That said, there are major differences as well.

One thing I think Stukel has that a player like Emerson Etem doesn't is total control (of the puck and of his direction) on his skates. He seems sturdier, and also demonstrates more finesse with the puck than Etem. Etem relies heavily on blistering straight-line speed, although he doesn't quite have the hands to keep up. Stukel has better puck control, east-west movement, and also positions himself better to receive a pass, or, better yet, to steal the puck from the opposition. He can shield the puck and maneuver around an opposition player. This is a player who knows where to be to retrieve the puck, knows how to get around the ice effectively with it, and has good enough vision to create chances offensively for himself and his teammates. When the opposition chases him, it opens up his teammates who he will sometimes pass to. Etem, on the other hand, either rushes the puck up the ice in a straight line, or floats around waiting for a pass. He's not particularly shifty. He creates offense with his straight-line breakaway speed, and by burying feeds off the rush. Stukel looks like he knows where to position himself offensively to create offense from a standstill and can get himself into a position with the puck to score, whereas Etem needs a playmaker on his line to be effective.

Etem has the skill set to be an effective NHL player, but I don't think his style of play or offensive approach works at the NHL level. He was selected in the first round of the 2010 NHL Draft for a reason. This is a case of a player having a lot of tools, but no toolbox. He doesn't use his speed to any desired effect. There are players in the NHL who use their speed well, but so far he isn't one of them. He has a shot, but doesn't do anything with it. Throughout his NHL career, he has only averaged 1.5 shots per game, and those shots aren't very noteworthy either. In the WHL, he excelled with highly-skilled linemates. The Hitmen don't quite have the same degree of talent that those Medicine Hat teams did. Stukel is asked to do more on his own than Etem ever had to.

As mentioned before, Stukel also missed a year of development. Etem's first draft-eligible season was his 17-year-old season. Stukel was 18 years old this past season, so taking the lost year into account, they were practically at the same stage of their development in the respective years that they were drafted.

When Jakob joined the Vancouver Giants for the 2012-13 season at the age of 15, he had two goals, two assists, four points in six games. Then an ACL tear wiped out his 2013-14 season, which would have been his rookie season.

One of the main criticisms of Stukel this past season was his lack of consistency. He would put together very impressive scoring streaks, then slow down for a period. He was by far the Hitmen's best goal scorer in 2015-16 with 34 goals, 56 points in 57 games. If he can find consistency and play at the top of his game all year long, his numbers could easily be even better next season. That would be the next step for him to take in his development in addition to improving as a player overall. If he does this, then he will become a very noteworthy prospect for the Canucks. He is on the right track thus far.
Incredible post

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So is he going to Utica or back to the juniors?

JA

So... Can we not hype our 6th round pick just yet pretty please?
Due to the circumstances that have been discussed already in this thread, we should view this player as someone who is very much worthy of an early round selection. He missed an entire year of development with a torn ACL, was forced to catch up and experience his rookie WHL season after over a calendar year of not playing, and made a monumental leap forward in his second WHL season. He is progressing at the rate of an early round prospect.

This was his sophomore season. If he had not missed the 2013-14 season and had put up these numbers last year as a 17-year-old, there is no question that a team would have picked him in the first three rounds of his draft class.

With the Calgary Hitmen this season, Jakob scored 34 goals, 56 points in 57 games, led the WHL in powerplay goals, and scored ten goals more than anyone else on the Hitmen roster. These are all of the signs of a classic late bloomer. He did well both this past season and at the Canucks' most recent development camp. The Canucks did their research.

His pre-WHL résumé also reflects the promise that this player shows.

http://vancouvergiants.com/giant-futures-jakob-stukel
Giant Futures: Jakob Stukel
December 21, 2012

Vancouver Giants’ second-round pick in the 2012 Bantam Draft, Jakob Stukel, is currently scoring at a pace that is starting to draw comparisons to Giants’ alumni Brendan Gallagher and Evander Kane.

The 5’11”, 165lb Surrey native, is currently playing for the Valley West Hawks of the BC Major Midget League and is the team’s leading scorer with 24 points (20 goals, 4 assists) in 22 games.

The two other former Giants who have scored more than 20 goals as 15-year-olds in the Major Midget League were Brendan Gallagher (23 goals, 33 assists – 56 points) and Evander Kane (22 goals, 32 assists – 54 points).

In the 2011-12 season, Stukel played for the Cloverdale Colts Bantam A1-T1 where he had 62 points (25 goals, 37 assists) in just 20 games.

Stukel was also part of the gold-medal winning Team BC in the U-16 Challenge this past November, which took place in Calgary.
He ended up with 30 goals for the Valley West Hawks, which is more than either Kane or Gallagher scored at the same level.

He also had a fairly strong initial stint with the Giants in 2012-13, scoring 2 goals, 4 points in 6 games as a 15-year-old.

This past season is what his 17-year-old season should have been. Instead, he was a year behind because when he finally got back on to the ice for the Giants after his injury, he was a 17-year-old playing with the fundamentals of someone who had just graduated from the Major Midget level, had only played six games in the WHL, and who had not played hockey in over a full calendar year. This is a fairly severe handicap for an aspiring hockey player at that age.

He apparently broke his thumb during his rookie season as well.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/two-big-trade-deals-bring-fresh-faces-to-hitmen
“Jakob Stukel is a real quality, speedy, skilled guy that can score,” said Moore. “He’s had some injury issues through his Western League career. He blew his knee out at 16, broke a thumb last year, but our guys were very, very high on him since he was 14 years old, so I don’t think he’s seen the best of his hockey days yet and we’re excited to have him join our club.”

The Giants also cycled through three coaches that season, which logically would have made it more difficult for him to learn. His rookie season, as a result, was underwhelming.

In his sophomore season -- this season -- he really started to put things together again.

If not for that torn ACL, I think Jakob Stukel would have received much higher regard as a prospect.
So is he going to Utica or back to the juniors?
Jakob would be better served playing one more year in the WHL. He should step up as a major leader for his team. It should be viewed as his draft+1 season considering the lost year of development.

Last year, he was inconsistent as a player. He demonstrated the ability to dominate on the score sheet over the course of multiple games, then he would go without a point for a few games. He needs not only to round out his game and improve, but also to become more consistent.

Here is his 2015-16 game log: http://www.whl.ca/players/26567/game_by_game/251

You'll notice some terrific scoring streaks separated by offensive lulls. For example, in the final seven games of the season, he scored 10 points in 7 games, including four goals in the final three games of the 2015-16 regular season schedule. He had two hat tricks last season, including a four-point game against Tri-City on November 14, 2015. That game was also the start of a 14-game stretch during which he scored 15 goals, 20 points, book-ended by the aforementioned hat tricks (November 14 to December 13, 2015). He had a stretch of five goals in four games, including two multi-goal games in late February, as well as a streak of three goals, nine points in five games in late January, and four goals in three games between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

If he can learn to play at that level for significant periods and/or elevate his game further, he'll be a force in the WHL next season.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
So... Can we not hype our 6th round pick just yet pretty please?

Lol no kidding

"Had a really solid development camp for the canucks"

I was in Shawnigan watching the camp, he was average. Everyone there looked "solid" They are NHL prospects for heavens sake. He has what? Like a 5% chance of making the show? Let's just wait and see

JA

Here is an update:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/canuck-draft-pick-stukel-will-try-to-show-improved-all-around-game-friday-at-lec-against-giants
Canuck draft pick Stukel will try to show improved all-around game Friday at LEC against Giants
Steve Ewen
Published:
February 1, 2017
Updated:
February 1, 2017 1:18 PM PST
Goal-scoring pace is down from last year, but he contends he's a better defensively and that's what NHL team wants from him

Vancouver Canucks prospect Jakob Stukel contends he’s been focussed more on being a 200-foot guy rather than a 40-goal one this season.

The Calgary Hitmen speedster winger, who scored 36 times last season and was picked in the sixth round by the Canucks in the NHL Draft in June, says that the Canucks have been instructing him to work on his all-around game and the Hitmen brass have been on side with that.

They both want the former Vancouver Giant to be more of a factor from end-to-end.

“How would I grade my season so far? Up and down,” admitted Stukel, 19, who went into Calgary’s visit against the Kelowna Rockets on Wednesday with 16 goals, 38 points and a minus-five rating in 47 games.

“Points-wise, it’s coming a little harder than last year, but I do think I’ve done a better job of being more of a two-way player. I’m playing bigger minutes, and especially on the penalty kill, which I wasn’t doing last year. I’m getting more chances to play in the last five minutes when we have the lead. I’m trying to be a player that you can count on in all areas.

“The Canucks are saying to not worry about the points because they will come. It’s the same thing Calgary is telling me. They both want me to be a harder player to play against.”

The odds of the 6-foot, 190-pound Stukel spending his 20-year-old campaign next season somewhere in the Canucks’ farm system undoubtedly go up if Calgary can get into the playoffs and he can show well in the postseason. He is yet to sign a contract with Vancouver, although that could change quickly.

He has 18 goals, 41 points in 56 games so far this season.

During the the Young Stars Tournament in September, I noticed that his lack of explosiveness hampered his ability to be effective in tight spaces. He has impressive straight-line speed, but his stopping and starting aren't great. Acceleration also constitutes one's ability to generate speed quickly, and the ability to cover a respectable distance in one's first few strides is part of that. I found that Stukel struggled with the pace of last year's Young Stars Tournament and only shined when he could take the puck from end to end -- moments that were few and far between.

Stukel, like Jake Virtanen, is more of a train than a missile. He doesn't burst forth quickly so much as he shifts into multiple gears after he gets his legs moving. In short distances, he can't gather enough momentum to reach those speeds. His top speed is very good.

I find that when Stukel skates from a standstill, he plods through his first few steps. He shuffles his feet very quickly along the ice and gets very little power out of his strides.

Moreover, he is not a particularly agile skater. He loses speed when he turns and takes time to regain speed. His stopping and starting are gradual rather than sudden. He requires better technique to slingshot forward right off the bat and stop sharply. What he is doing right now is winding up and winding down, which isn't good enough at higher levels where abrupt changes to one's movement are needed to keep up with the pace and the constant back-and-forth maneuvering within the game.

If one can not stop and start quickly, they won't be able to get into position quickly enough to contribute positively and will find themselves falling behind the play; the element of surprise offensively, meanwhile, will not exist. At the Young Stars Tournament, Jakob sometimes looked like he was skating in quicksand. He was very lackluster in spite of his straight-line speed; his speed only manifested itself on a few rush chances, but he was otherwise slow and float-y. The junior game is much more sloppy and wide open than professional hockey; the pace is slower. Stukel can keep up. The defensive systems are not structurally sound, so players with good straight-line speed have many opportunities to take advantage of the opposition. Connor McDavid feasted on those opportunities and treated the opposing defenders like pylons; speed decimates the opposition at the junior level. Not even McDavid can drag defenders down or walk around them at the NHL level the way he did with Erie. There is less room; players are in far better position to neutralize the puck carrier.

The NHL is a game of precision, set plays, crisp passes, quick movement, and tight positioning. Players need to be mobile enough to keep up with the pace. A player's straight-line speed will become less effective if they require time and space to wind up and also have trouble stopping and starting at a sufficient level. The opponent won't give him the time he requires. The game will move too fast for him.

He has no burst, and he takes too long to make sharp turns. When he has room to skate, he can create; when he doesn't, he plays a step slower than he should. The last game of his that I watched was the Sportsnet game against the Giants on February 3, 2017. His best shift by far occurred during the 3-on-3 overtime when he had room to carry the puck into the offensive zone and to move around the zone before setting up the OT goal with a skilled pass.

He needs to figure out how to make use of less room; that begins with amending his skating technique. He thinks the game at a fairly good level, but his legs don't always get him to where he wants to be unless he has room to skate.

Perhaps it's because he is trying to play a more complete game this year that he has lost some of his effectiveness. Instead of skating in an efficient manner for offense, he is trying to cover more ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad