LW Jacob Battaglia - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Jacob is a power forward that does a good job of using his size and skill to be am effective offensive player for his team. He is a powerful skater that generates a lot of speed through the neutral zone and us very hard to handle on the forecheck. He has good hands and feel around the net - He understands where openings are and has a very heavy and accurate shot. He is a difficult player to knock off the puck as he uses his size to protect it well in all three zones.

Reactions: Dominance

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I used to play beer league against Bates back in the day. That dude's hockey ability fell off a cliff lol. Went from a legit NHL player to a slightly above average A league player real fast.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I used to play beer league against Bates back in the day. That dude's hockey ability fell off a cliff lol. Went from a legit NHL player to a slightly above average A league player real fast.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who clicked this thread merely to check this fact. I friggin loved Bates Battaglia. Little me thought he was a sure thing power forward but he really only put it together for a few quality seasons. He was more a product of playing with Brind'Amour and Erik Cole in retrospect, but he was a good cog in that line for our 2002 finals run.

I believe he still owns the bar Lucky Bs on Glenwood South in Raleigh.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm glad I'm not the only one who clicked this thread merely to check this fact. I friggin loved Bates Battaglia. Little me thought he was a sure thing power forward but he really only put it together for a few quality seasons. He was more a product of playing with Brind'Amour and Erik Cole in retrospect, but he was a good cog in that line for our 2002 finals run.

I believe he still owns the bar Lucky Bs on Glenwood South in Raleigh.
Yeah he was a really complimentary PWF. Big guy with pretty good hands & heavy shot but dude really couldn't skate or carry the puck.

He was like 40 yrs old when I played with him and I couldn't believe how slow he was even in a beer league (the Lucky Bs actually had their own team, though he didn't play every year). This was only a handful of years after he retired and I could legitimately skate circles around him. He was still a good player because he had reach and could shoot and make plays, but really didn't stand out in a North Carolina A league. A good league but really something you'd think a 40 y/o former NHLer would take apart.

Last I heard he was playing in a B league...

Reactions: DaveG

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
interesting prospect

ive seen lists where he has been as a late 2n rounder to late 4th rounder and a 5th rounder
in his last 9 games, about 20 points in the OHL

16 goals, 36 points, 1.10 ppg, with 20 penalty minutes so far this season

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Should've been invited to the Top Prospects game - but I read elsewhere that he's the first replacement so hopefully someone opts out and he's able to play.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah he was a really complimentary PWF. Big guy with pretty good hands & heavy shot but dude really couldn't skate or carry the puck.

He was like 40 yrs old when I played with him and I couldn't believe how slow he was even in a beer league (the Lucky Bs actually had their own team, though he didn't play every year). This was only a handful of years after he retired and I could legitimately skate circles around him. He was still a good player because he had reach and could shoot and make plays, but really didn't stand out in a North Carolina A league. A good league but really something you'd think a 40 y/o former NHLer would take apart.

That’s not as unusual as you think. I’m in CO where a lot of people love to move, and over the years I’ve played with/against a bunch of former ncaa/juniors/pro guys who just put it all down when they retire. Especially the exercising in general. They come back in their 40’s with dad bods, most of them really humble and not wanting to really advertise what’s up and are embarrassed about where they’re at. They look really out of place….as in you’re confused how this guy got into this league.

Then they awkwardly reach for a loose puck, almost falling down to rotate around and with no balance shoot in a non shooting situation and cleanly snipe your goalie unscreened from the blue line with a flick of a wrist. Then quietly/sheepishly sit on the bench.

“Hey man….who the hell are you?!?”

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yeah I've played B/C pickup with him and Boulerice before. Bates clearly let himself go some after he retired but he still has the skill part going for him. On another note, when will idiots stop trying to provoke former NHL enforcers when they're literally just out for a skate and not really mixing it up otherwise?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I've played B/C pickup with him and Boulerice before. Bates clearly let himself go some after he retired but he still has the skill part going for him. On another note, when will idiots stop trying to provoke former NHL enforcers when they're literally just out for a skate and not really mixing it up otherwise?

Friend of mine from work is married to the daughter of a '70's era AHLer. The guy was playing pickup league and someone was running their mouth - he told the guy to knock it off, mouthy didn't, mouthy got laid out by a man old enough to be his father.

You never know.

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
Came to a thread about Jacob Battaglia and was regaled with stories about ex-NHLers playing beer league lol.

Jacob, who to my knowledge does not play beer league, had 1.5 seasons of very mid-hockey before starting to put it together right before the draft. He's been playing some of the best hockey of anyone his age in the whl - but he's only been doing it for 1-2 months. Worth keeping an eye on up until the draft to see if he sustains it.
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 12.55.58 PM.png

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Came to a thread about Jacob Battaglia and was regaled with stories about ex-NHLers playing beer league lol.

Jacob, who to my knowledge does not play beer league, had 1.5 seasons of very mid-hockey before starting to put it together right before the draft. He's been playing some of the best hockey of anyone his age in the whl - but he's only been doing it for 1-2 months. Worth keeping an eye on up until the draft to see if he sustains it.
View attachment 808724
Looks like he had 1 season of “very mid hockey” l, aka he was a 16 year old rookie in the OHL who didn’t get many minutes.

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
Looks like he had 1 season of “very mid hockey” l, aka he was a 16 year old rookie in the OHL who didn’t get many minutes.
Yea, the chart corrects for that to a degree. He was very mid even when compared to other 16 year olds. On the topic of playing time, I think it's a safe assumption that good players earn more ice time but - to your point - there are exceptions to that and maybe this was one of them.

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Yea, the chart corrects for that to a degree. He was very mid even when compared to other 16 year olds. On the topic of playing time, I think it's a safe assumption that good players earn more ice time but - to your point - there are exceptions to that and maybe this was one of them.
At 16, players in the CHL more often than not are feeling out the league and getting acclimated to it, you have to actually watch the players to get a feel on if they’re doing the right things in the limited minutes they’re given. So when they do get more minutes as a 17 year old, you know if they’re going to produce, or not.

Watching the players matter a hell of alot more than creating “models” that pull from statsheet. these “models” don’t take into account the nuances of playing the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad