LW Ivan Chekhovich - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2017, 212th, SJS released)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He plays on the top line with 2 of the best Torpedo's players, which obviously helps. On the other hand, he's obviously good enough to play on the top line.

The problem is, when he get back to the Sharks, they will probably use him as a 4th line grinder...

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He plays on the top line with 2 of the best Torpedo's players, which obviously helps. On the other hand, he's obviously good enough to play on the top line.

The problem is, when he get back to the Sharks, they will probably use him as a 4th line grinder...
I know he didnt get deployed well last year, but he really was having trouble in preseason and the whole years AHL action. He started on top lines with the cuda and couldnt get it done. I dont think its fair to say the sharks wont give him a chance because they clearly like him and are letting him play the whole season at home to get better and adapt to playing men.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know he didnt get deployed well last year, but he really was having trouble in preseason and the whole years AHL action. He started on top lines with the cuda and couldnt get it done. I dont think its fair to say the sharks wont give him a chance because they clearly like him and are letting him play the whole season at home to get better and adapt to playing men.
Maybe, just maybe, the Sharks would do good letting him stay in the KHL for another year. It looks like the team and the league suit him well and he could grow in the environment he is currently in.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Named rookie of the month. He is one of the pleasant surprises among the loans. On the other hand, at 21 I would expect a player to be able to fit in in the KHL.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Named rookie of the month. He is one of the pleasant surprises among the loans. On the other hand, at 21 I would expect a player to be able to fit in in the KHL.
To be fair, near ppg 21 year olds are not a thing in the KHL.

At 21 years old:
Panarin 43 games 11 goals 8 assists 19 points
Gusev 55 games 21 goals 16 assists 37 points
Mikheyev 52 games 8 goals 10 assists 18 points

Of course he is being put in a unique situation to succeed, but the numbers he is putting up are significant.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Better than playing for an imbecile like Sommer.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To be fair, near ppg 21 year olds are not a thing in the KHL.

At 21 years old:
Panarin 43 games 11 goals 8 assists 19 points
Gusev 55 games 21 goals 16 assists 37 points
Mikheyev 52 games 8 goals 10 assists 18 points

Of course he is being put in a unique situation to succeed, but the numbers he is putting up are significant.
Well, 1) he turns 22 in less than a month; 2) someone like Kaprizov has been scoring close to PPG for 3 years when he was 22; 3) Torpedo won last 6/7, the team is on the biggest upswing of the season that is inevitably going to end; 4) when the sample size is that small even the shortest hot streak skews numbers in a big way, 2 games ago he was at 0.78 PPG which is very much a thing between U22 KHLers.

Cherry-picking those numbers and leaving out others doesn't make sense. Confirmation bias at its best. The guy is doing well enough, no reason to go into this garbage.

Reactions: Atas2000

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What is it the Sharks and 7th rounders? They hit on a really high % of them compared to average.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
What is it the Sharks and 7th rounders? They hit on a really high % of them compared to average.
They’ve had 27 7th round picks in the DW era in 18 drafts, so more chances than most.

Also because with the exception of the last 2-3 years, they’ve always drafted extremely safe in the first 3-4 rounds and draft for more boom/bust guys in the later rounds.

Also, they’ve had 4 of those play 100+ games so far, Blichfield and possibly Ivan look like they could add to that total, so the ratio is actually on par with the league average.

They have gotten very good value with Pavelski, Demers, and Braun all coming in the 7th round and being quite a bit better than the average replacement player.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Id say they really refine their lists to guys they like a lot, and pick guys that they really believe in in the later rounds, even if most teams have other guys first. Kind of like the sharks this year having 4 7th rounders and not taking any of the major fallers but taking guys they think have a solid skillset that could develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad