LW Henri Ikonen - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2013, 154th overall, Tampa Bay)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just finished up his first season in the OHL. He ended up leading the Frontenacs in scoring, with 51 points (22 goals) in 61 games. He even managed to finish the year a +2, despite Kingston as a team finishing almost -60.

More than his offense, I was impressed with his game. He's great along the boards, great on the cycle, and despite him not being very big, he's very tough on his skates and protects the puck very well. Often he'll knock the defenseman off the puck, or the defenseman will bounce off him when he's protecting the puck.

His game is very well suited for the pro game, too. Not a whole lot of flash and dash, but just very good at the cycle and battle game along the boards.

He's a 1994 birthdate, so he'd be an overage pick this June. But I think he could be a very solid late round pick up. He's definitely got the potential, IMO, to be a solid 3rd or 4th line winger at the NHL level. He certainly plays, and excels, at the type of game that you want from a bottom six player.

(Originally posted this in the wrong forum. Was curious about other people's thoughts on this prospect)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Just finished up his first season in the OHL. He ended up leading the Frontenacs in scoring, with 51 points (22 goals) in 61 games. He even managed to finish the year a +2, despite Kingston as a team finishing almost -60.

More than his offense, I was impressed with his game. He's great along the boards, great on the cycle, and despite him not being very big, he's very tough on his skates and protects the puck very well. Often he'll knock the defenseman off the puck, or the defenseman will bounce off him when he's protecting the puck.

His game is very well suited for the pro game, too. Not a whole lot of flash and dash, but just very good at the cycle and battle game along the boards.

He's a 1994 birthdate, so he'd be an overage pick this June. But I think he could be a very solid late round pick up. He's definitely got the potential, IMO, to be a solid 3rd or 4th line winger at the NHL level. He certainly plays, and excels, at the type of game that you want from a bottom six player.

(Originally posted this in the wrong forum. Was curious about other people's thoughts on this prospect)

I completely agree. I think he's one of the stronger "overage" picks available from the OHL.

On top of everything you said, I always came away impressed by his vision and playmaking ability off the cycle. Not only does he work hard in the offensive end to tire out defenses, but he acknowledges openings quite well and had great chemistry with Bennett and Watson this year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I completely agree. I think he's one of the stronger "overage" picks available from the OHL.

On top of everything you said, I always came away impressed by his vision and playmaking ability off the cycle. Not only does he work hard in the offensive end to tire out defenses, but he acknowledges openings quite well and had great chemistry with Bennett and Watson this year.

To further add to your point about his chemistry with Bennett and Watson, I think Ikonen's one of those guys that makes any line he's on work well.

When Watson and Bennett were away at the U-17 in December, Ikonen was moved onto a line with Ryan Kujawinski and Sam Povorosniuk. That line instantly became dangerous every game, and I believe Kujawinski had something like 5 goals during an 8 or 9 game stretch when they were together.

Ikonen's just such a good "third wheel" for any line because he does the little things that lines need in order to be successful. He's great at the grunt work along the boards, but also has, like you mentioned, good vision and skills of his own to contribute offense.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He is going to play for KalPa in the Finnish SM-Liiga next year. Will be interesting to see him after a year in North America.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He is going to play for KalPa in the Finnish SM-Liiga next year. Will be interesting to see him after a year in North America.

Is that official? That would suck for the Frontenacs. IMO, he was going to have a big year next year, especially with Watson and Bennett both ready to emerge as OHL stars.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is that official? That would suck for the Frontenacs. IMO, he was going to have a big year next year, especially with Watson and Bennett both ready to emerge as OHL stars.
Yeah not official yet but seems very likely. I've heard it from multiple people.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Originally I somehow got the impression, that Ikonen came to play in OHL because he didn't get a roster spot in Kalpa Sm-liiga team. He probably had two changes, to play in OHL, or to play in Mestis and he went to OHL.
They surely make room for him in the Kalpa lineup after this season succes, but will it better to him to play in Kalpa with little icetime, or to play with better icetime in Kingston.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
How is he doing?

Can anyone of you north american posters update his situation? Eliteprospects say that he has produced 21 points in 11 games, which seems really high for a sixth-rounder ;)

I really hope he would have stayed in KalPa for this season, our team really sucks at the moment, he would probably have 1st line minutes here. But maybe it is better for his development to play the physical NA game.

So how's his overall game etc? Only by looking at his stats from the early season, I'd say he is a lock in Finlands WJC2013-2014 team:handclap:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
How is he doing?

Can anyone of you north american posters update his situation? Eliteprospects say that he has produced 21 points in 11 games, which seems really high for a sixth-rounder ;)

I really hope he would have stayed in KalPa for this season, our team really sucks at the moment, he would probably have 1st line minutes here. But maybe it is better for his development to play the physical NA game.

So how's his overall game etc? Only by looking at his stats from the early season, I'd say he is a lock in Finlands WJC2013-2014 team:handclap:

I have never seen him, but can say you the things that are talked on the TBay board.

First of he already had the 21p after 9 games and is now scoreless in 3, so there might be some consistency things.
It seems as he is the guy that stires the drink on his line with highly talented Sam Bennett and Spencer Watson (I belief). So could be the same with him than it was with Palat. Everybody said Palat got the easy points due to playing with Couturier, but the reality was the opposite.
If he is really the guy that is stires the drink on this line, we might have got our self the next big steal, because this is something you can't teach. Palat still does it in the NHL and makes everybody around him better.
Both are not the most talented, but can do it all on a high level. So now lets hope he will keep it going and can translate well to the pro game.

I know I used Palat a lot in this post :), but everything around Ikonen screems Palat 2.0 to me. Good at really everything, but not elite at anything, work extremly hard, competitive, late rounders playing with younger highly talented players,not overly flashy but you can't overlook them as well.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Nice to hear! So Ikonen's upside is something like Valtteri Filppula and floor is bottom6 line center in NHL?

Has he played wing or center in Kingston?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
He was really good this summer in the Lake Placid tournament. i thought he showed some good drive there.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Great player, awesome to watch especially on the PP with the two young guns! Tampa's scouting finds a gem at forward once again. Should we even be surprised at this point?

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports 41s

Another great game for Henri Ikonen. 1G 1A. Bonecrushing hits. Key blocked shots. Plays hard. He'll play in the NHL. TB stole him #Lightning

Ottawa 67's play by play guy. He's been around a long time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Signed to an ELC by the Lightning.

Link.

He had a great year for the Frontenacs. For most of the year, Ikonen was like Sam Bennett's "Chris Kunitz". The guy who did the board work and provided a physical presence for the line, while at the same time contributing offensively.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman with all these late round steals..

Al Murray is Tampa's head of scouting. Tampa's drafting has been so good over the last few years that our head scout is a household name for us fans. We have total faith.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Kid's never played a game on NHL ice and he's already a steal?

Sounds like some typical HF logic.

Sure he's never played a game, but I've seen this kid play and he is unreal..

Tremendous skill, great skater, has a nice shot.. don't see what not to like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad