LW Gustav Nyquist (2008, 121st overall, Detroit)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
A redwings prospect taken in the 4th round of 2008 draft has takena weird path to the NHL.

As a Swede, he took the NCAA route at Maine.

He absolutely tore up the NCAA, in his sophomore season he led the nation in scoring with 61 points in 39 games. For comparisons sake, thats 7 more points in 2 less games than fellow sophomore Derek Stepan, senior Bobby Butler etc. He had more points that season than Matt Frattin (only using that example because he has hype around here) did in his senior season.

He followed it up with another 50 something point campaign. He also plays strong defensively

Now in this preseason he has been dangling and look slike he could play in the NHL right now.

Where is the hype for this kid? Those who have seen him play, how dynamic is he? Hes looking like a sure fire top 6 NHLer

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He had a wide open net in today's game to score a goal on a weird play but somehow put it back into Salak. He also hit a post. I thought he played well for Detroit, drew at least one penalty and had a few good chances.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
does anyone know a player that had a sophomore season like that and did not end up a solid NHL'er

member 96824

I've had the treat of watching him at Maine over the last few years. Kid has every tool to be a stud, one of the most creative players I've ever witnessed...truly is always doing something completely different with the puck on his stick. Wings found themselves another stud for sure.

Anchor Town*

does anyone know a player that had a sophomore season like that and did not end up a solid NHL'er

Andy Hilbert, F, So, Michigan 42 26 37 63

Ryan Bayda, F, So, North Dakota 46 25 34 59

Peter Sejna, F, Fr, Colorado College 41 29 29 58

Grant Stevenson, So, F, Minnesota State 38 27 36 63

Brandon Bochenski, So, F, North Dakota 43 35 27 62

Jeff Legue, So, C, Ferris State 42 24 35 59

T.J. Hensick, So, F, Michigan 39 23 32 55

Some from the 2000-2005

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I predicted in another thread that he will be a top line talent in the next five years. Once he gains size and is able to hold of defenders like Zetterberg and Datsyuk I can see him putting up 60-70 points. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I think he has the highest upside out of all Detroit prospects and he's probably the least talked about.

HTT3*

I've been watching this kid for awhile and he's always amazing. Every shift he takes he's doing something out of this world and is the most noticeable player on his line. He can play in any critital situation and he's the coaches choice in big games. He does it all from playing shutdown, clutch score, crisp passing, slick skating, vision... basically everything Zetterberg does.

Nyquist is a star in the making. He's going to be the next "Zetterberg" / "Datsyuk" type steal. I use to compare him to Nicklas Backstrom on the Capitals, but now I am thinking he will be a much more impact (and consistent) all-around better player than Backstrom will ever be.

Detroit is in good position to make a smooth transition from the Zetterberg / Datsyuk era like the Red Wings did from the Yzerman / Shanahan era.

If you're sick of Detroit being perennial contenders and want to see them become 'average', don't hold your breath... the Red Wings have lots of young studs in the works that's going to keep the machine rockin' and rollin'.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I've been watching this kid for awhile and he's always amazing. Every shift he takes he's doing something out of this world and is the most noticeable player on his line. He can play in any critital situation and he's the coaches choice in big games. He does it all from playing shutdown, clutch score, crisp passing, slick skating, vision... basically everything Zetterberg does.

Nyquist is a star in the making. He's going to be the next "Zetterberg" / "Datsyuk" type steal. I use to compare him to Nicklas Backstrom on the Capitals, but now I am thinking he will be a much more impact (and consistent) all-around better player than Backstrom will ever be.

Detroit is in good position to make a smooth transition from the Zetterberg / Datsyuk era like the Red Wings did from the Yzerman / Shanahan era.

If you're sick of Detroit being perennial contenders and want to see them become 'average', don't hold your breath... the Red Wings have lots of young studs in the works that's going to keep the machine rockin' and rollin'.

Backstrom is both a very good overall player and consistent.. ppg thru three seasons, he takes faceoffs, kills penalties, has gotten Selke votes.. at age 23. If Nyquist becomes a remotely similar impact player for the Wings I'll be more than pleased.

I like the Z&Dats hybrid comments, because that's exactly what he looks like. Remains to be seen if he can be as good, but at least he looks like a player sure to play in the NHL.

DetroitWhat

He looks fantastic, but it's critical he gains a lot of mass without negating his speed. That will be the key. What scares me is that he is still that slight after years of training in college at 22 years of age.

If he can get to the strength level of the average NHL player, his skill and speed will carry him. Can't imagine him being anything less than a 2nd liner (partially because he doesn't fit the style of any thing outside of the top 6).

He does really remind me of Datsyuk as a rookie in terms of development. Clearly supremely talented (albeit, different skill sets), but often pushed around and putting a bit too much emphasis on flair and style. Obviously you can rarely teach the high-level of ability, but Datsyuk wasn't nearly as productive until he learned when to pick his spots (and obviously gained tons of strength due to his insane work ethic).

At the college level, Nyquist was obviously productive, but he'll have to adapt to the increased size and speed of pro hockey if he wants to be anything more than a skillful depth player (whether that's in the AHL or NHL).

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

100 point player that plays in all situations? I wish.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
seriously how can detroit continue to pick these highly skilled players so late?

just watched some of his college videos, hes like another zetterberg.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
seriously how can detroit continue to pick these highly skilled players so late?

just watched some of his college videos, hes like another zetterberg.

Because most of them are quite small.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

You are heavily underrating Backstrom. Backstrom is going to be a top 10 center in this league for quite some time. Even if he wasn't with Ovechkin, the guy is really good at both ends of the rink and especially dangerous in the offensive zone. Backstrom is on a comparable level with Datsyuk and Z imo.

Alpha190

Feb 3, 2007
You are heavily underrating Backstrom. Backstrom is going to be a top 10 center in this league for quite some time. Even if he wasn't with Ovechkin, the guy is really good at both ends of the rink and especially dangerous in the offensive zone. Backstrom is on a comparable level with Datsyuk and Z imo.

He's nowhere Datsyuk's level, better than Z offensively but worse defensively

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Watched him vs the Blackhawks on tv and he looked amazing! He stood out more than anyone else. His offensive abilities right now he could be playing in the nhl and put up 30 points, but I think I read he could work on his defensive game, strength and then maybe next year or the year after (depending on retirements, re-signings, new signings) he could be playing on a 2nd line.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
A redwings prospect taken in the 4th round of 2008 draft has takena weird path to the NHL.

As a Swede, he took the NCAA route at Maine.

He absolutely tore up the NCAA, in his sophomore season he led the nation in scoring with 61 points in 39 games. For comparisons sake, thats 7 more points in 2 less games than fellow sophomore Derek Stepan, senior Bobby Butler etc. He had more points that season than Matt Frattin (only using that example because he has hype around here) did in his senior season.

He followed it up with another 50 something point campaign. He also plays strong defensively

Now in this preseason he has been dangling and look slike he could play in the NHL right now.

Where is the hype for this kid? Those who have seen him play, how dynamic is he? Hes looking like a sure fire top 6 NHLer

Hate to say it, but he regressed in back to back seasons with his stats....that's a red flag.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Hate to say it, but he regressed in back to back seasons with his stats....that's a red flag.

No he didnt he went from 13 goals 19 assists 32 points in his freshman year to 19 goals 42 assists 61 points in his sophomore year to 18 goals and 33 assists for 51 points last year.

So he didnt regress in back to back years in terms of points...Lets face it points dont tell the whole story.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Because he won't be in the NHL for 3 years.

maybe,but it's looking more likely that he will be in the NHL next year the way he's been playing

huh?

32 points in 38 games
61 points in 39 games
51 points in 36 games

the stats were down a bit last year compared to the year before sure but how is 61 in 39 a regression from 32 in 38? :huh:

HTT3*

Backstrom is both a very good overall player and consistent.. ppg thru three seasons, he takes faceoffs, kills penalties, has gotten Selke votes.. at age 23. If Nyquist becomes a remotely similar impact player for the Wings I'll be more than pleased.

I like the Z&Dats hybrid comments, because that's exactly what he looks like. Remains to be seen if he can be as good, but at least he looks like a player sure to play in the NHL.

I'm certain that you'll be more than pleased.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
No he didnt he went from 13 goals 19 assists 32 points in his freshman year to 19 goals 42 assists 61 points in his sophomore year to 18 goals and 33 assists for 51 points last year.

So he didnt regress in back to back years in terms of points...Lets face it points dont tell the whole story.

You're right points don't tell the whole story, but he went from 61 to 51 in points. People hang their hat on that stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad