LW Ethan Keppen - Flint Firebirds, OHL (2019, 122nd, VAN)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seems like an interesting potential top 100 choice who hasn't received any hype, possibly due to being on a last place team. Great size and compete level with a knack for offense.

Ethan Keppen at eliteprospects.com

If I were to tell you that Keppen leads all OHL draft eligible players in primary assists 5 on 5, would you be surprised? I certainly was surprised to find that out because I think of Keppen as more of a goal scorer first and foremost. Admittedly, I've had a tough time getting a read on Keppen this year because of Flint's struggles. And I'm sure I'm not alone there; part of the problem with playing on a poor team. But the thing I always have admired about him is that no matter the score, his compete level and motor never seem to waver. He creates offense through physicality, by driving through people and not around them, using his 6'2, 220lbs frame to wreck havoc below the hash marks. Tough player to separate from the puck already. Imagine how difficult that could be in two years when he's bigger, stronger, quicker, and more confident? Could be the perfect future linemate for the cerebral Shane Wright, if he gets exceptional status and becomes a Firebird. I think a guy like Keppen will have a ton to prove at an event like the U18's, where he could be a key player for Canada. A strong performance there could solidify him as a top 3 round prospect. - OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 50 for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
I think if he played on a better team he would be regarded as an early 2nd round pick. So much to like about this guy, he plays like a true power forward and always gives it his all. He hits, scores and his play-making ability is underrated. His skating could use some work. He has a powerful stride but overall his speed isn't great, but I'm confident that will improve with the right skating coaches.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
One of my favorite OHLers this year. I think he'll likely go somewhere in the second round.

He won't get much media attention in Flint, but I think he's a guy scouts will love.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought they gifted us Jake Wise, but turns out they just stole Ty Madden from us too.

F*** the Nucks!

I think Wise will be the better player. It’s hard to criticize a player who lost a season due to injury. Madden had a good year, and has elevated his stock.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Wise will be the better player. It’s hard to criticize a player who lost a season due to injury. Madden had a good year, and has elevated his stock.
Certainly on draft day, Wise was the better player. He slipped really far and should've been like an early 2nd round pick. Obviously the injuries haven't done him any good. He'll be ready for Hawks development camp next week though.

Anyway back to Ethan Keppen...

starswithoutstripes

May 14, 2019
Dallas
Caught some Firebirds games last year while watching Dellandrea and Keppen always really impressed me. If Flint takes the next step, which I believe they will, Keppen is going to be a big part of that. He impacts the game everywhere on the ice and has some sneaky offensive abilities that should allow him to produce high point totals as soon as next season.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Should’ve went a lot higher than he did...can’t wait to watch him on the top line with Holmes and Dellandrea
I am guessing by your username you might be able to provide some insight on Keppen this season? Better/worse/same as last season? Why isn't he playing top line minutes?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I am guessing by your username you might be able to provide some insight on Keppen this season? Better/worse/same as last season? Why isn't he playing top line minutes?
He’s not playing like last season so Id say worse. There are a few guys that are playing much better than him. Just got back from the game against Guelph and he was hardly noticeable out there. He’s still a big part of the team it’s just they’ve gotten some new guys plus they’ve had injuries which have forced the team to shuffle people around and even played games short handed

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Another nothing pick from the CHL by the Canucks. Amazing how they're able to get gems from US hockey programs and Europe, yet can't scout worth a damn in their own back yard.

Reactions: Breakers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad