LW Edgars Kulda - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2014, 193rd overall, Arizona)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Pretty sure the Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy winner deserves a thread of his own. :)

Having seen him play with the junior national team a couple of years ago, it's easy to see that he has worked very hard in North America and improved immensely over the past 2-3 years.

If he can keep up the trajectory of growth that he's taken (couldn't make the Latvian MHL team 3 years ago, was fighting for playing time early in the 2012/13 WHL season only to become one of the leading CHL forwards in this year's play-offs), he's bound to make the NHL in a couple of years.

Likely to be drafted in the 3rd-4th round this year.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I really hope Ottawa takes him.

Him and Lazar are great friends and everytime I watch an Oil Kings game I notice 23 and 27 the most.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
bn9ueniciaevobl-jpg-large.jpeg

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I agree he will likely be a top 100 pick come the draft. I think I would rate him more as a 5th round type of guy, but he has played his way a bit higher than that on some team boards I'm sure.

I like his upside for a few reasons:

- He's a great defensive player and hard worker, meaning he has value if his offensive game doesn't translate super well at the next level.
- He's more developed as a player than many of the 1st-year eligible guys in this draft, meaning he's closer to being pro ready.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Head Crusher beat me to it. :laugh:

Anyway, I like his play. He'll be a good value pick like RS has said.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Head Crusher beat me to it. :laugh:

Anyway, I like his play. He'll be a good value pick like RS has said.

Unless someone puts too much weight into the mem cup/playoff performance and takes him higher than they should.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Really hoping the Oil can nab him, but after 3rd OA, we won't pick again until Minny's 4th rder. I think there's a strong chance he's gone by then.

Edit: according to prosportstransactions.com, it claims the pick we get from Minny is actually Buffalo's 4th (via Pominville trade). Would be 91st, barring compensatory picks. So you're saying there's a chance.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Unless someone puts too much weight into the mem cup/playoff performance and takes him higher than they should.

Happens every year. He's a perfect candidate for it this year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If the Sabres acquire a 4th (I believe they don't have one), that's really the ideal place to take him. We should have a 3rd unless the Blues re-sign Miller before the draft, and I'd consider him there. I'd say he's a value in the 4th but some team is likely to take him at least late 3rd.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Pretty sure the Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy winner deserves a thread of his own. :)

Having seen him play with the junior national team a couple of years ago, it's easy to see that he has worked very hard in North America and improved immensely over the past 2-3 years.

If he can keep up the trajectory of growth that he's taken (couldn't make the Latvian MHL team 3 years ago, was fighting for playing time early in the 2012/13 WHL season only to become one of the leading CHL forwards in this year's play-offs), he's bound to make the NHL in a couple of years.

Likely to be drafted in the 3rd-4th round this year.

I think he has a chance to sneak into the 2nd round even. There were a ton of scouts at the Memorial Cup and I'm sure he impressed at least one or two with his all around game that he'll be considered in the mid to late 2nd round by a team or two.

He's as good an all around player as the Oil Kings have had since rejoining the WHL. Size may be a bit of a concern, but it's not like he's tiny.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Extremely, extremely similar situation that Zack Smith was in. Both 19, both WHL, both similar players in junior, both had almost identical stats. Smith was taken 79th by Ottawa. I would expect Kulda to get taken around there

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Extremely, extremely similar situation that Zack Smith was in. Both 19, both WHL, both similar players in junior, both had almost identical stats. Smith was taken 79th by Ottawa. I would expect Kulda to get taken around there

As an Oil Kings fan, you'd get a good player there. He's one of my favorite players - may not have all of the tools of a top prospect, but seems to be able to elevate his game, and is always contributing.

I'll miss the line of Kulda-Samuelsson-Moroz. A little bit of everything, and they complemented each other so well.

Lazar is a beauty. Kulda would be a good addition. If you don't take him, I hope Edmonton does.

Oct 15, 2008
He didnt even look like a WHL player at the beginning of last year. Not even close. The amount he has improved over the last couple of years is simply astounding.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Love this kid's interview in the Edmonton Journal (on winning the Memorial Cup MVP):

"I was reading the names of the players who won that trophy (Hall, Perry, Lucic, MacKinnon) and I was like, what the hell am I doing there? Like, really? Okay, not bad."

What his NHL upside is (if any) is anyone's guess, but the kid just seems like one of those guys you want in your organization. Even if he only ever becomes a great AHLer/injury call up, he's going to have a positive effect on an organization by virtue of being a great teammate (an important aspect often overlooked).

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
When you consider his development curve (rapidly improving), mature attitude, professional work ethic, and love for the game, I think you get a consummate pro. To me he is the type of guy who may never be a star, or even a top 6 player, but will find a way to crack an NHL lineup and be very valuable. Think of Dominic Moore, Jason Chimera or Fernando Pisani.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
When you consider his development curve (rapidly improving), mature attitude, professional work ethic, and love for the game, I think you get a consummate pro. To me he is the type of guy who may never be a star, or even a top 6 player, but will find a way to crack an NHL lineup and be very valuable. Think of Dominic Moore, Jason Chimera or Fernando Pisani.

I agree with this. kulda could become a really good bottom-six forward with enormous compete level who can score from time to time

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I selected him in the 7th round of the Habs Board mock last year.

It shocked me that no one took him. I saw incredible progression when he showed up in the play-offs for them last season. He carried that momentum through, built on it this season and finally culminated to an astounding performance at the highest level of junior hockey.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I selected him in the 7th round of the Habs Board mock last year.

It shocked me that no one took him. I saw incredible progression when he showed up in the play-offs for them last season. He carried that momentum through, built on it this season and finally culminated to an astounding performance at the highest level of junior hockey.

I had him listed as one of the "others to watch" on my rankings last year, along with two of his teammates:

Others To Watch

Brandon Baddock - Big body for the Edmonton Oil Kings. Raw tools and will likely get more serious consideration in the future as an overage draftable player.

Edgars Kulda - Good versatile player for the Oil Kings. Continued to climb up in their lineup all season, filling many different roles. Was very good in the playoffs for Edmonton.

Ashton Sautner - Pretty solid two-way defender for Edmonton. Really improved his play with and without the puck this year, but remains a darkhorse to be drafted in 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad